Search Unity

Need computer advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bootstrap Bill, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Bootstrap Bill

Bootstrap Bill

I'm thinking about getting an HP Envy 17. Amazon has a great deal on it.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-17-1181NR-...U4IM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293476794&sr=8-2

What I like about it:
    1. 17.3" screen with 1920x1080 resolution, 1gb video RAM
    2. i7 cpu with 6gb RAM
    3. Price - only $1247.99, no tax and free s&h.

What I don't like about it:
    1. Only 3.75 hours of battery life
    2. Maximum RAM is only 8GB

Is this a good system for Unity development?

Can I get a better deal on a similar notebook?

2. zumwalt

zumwalt

er nm, didn't see the i7

3. pat_sommer

pat_sommer

to answer your questions yes, it should work pretty well for unity dev. seems like a good price for a labby with those stats.

what OS is on the machine? make sure its 64 bit or ur only using up to 3 gigs of ram. 8 gigs i believe is the max for ram on lappys at the moment. if u want a huge powerhouse a desktop is the way to go. im running 12 gigs and can get up to 24.

what you have posted is great but if you find yourself starting to lag while in dev, expansion on your hardware will be harder because of the limitations of a notebook compared to desktop

4. Bootstrap Bill

Bootstrap Bill

I saw a few laptops that claim they will support up to 32gb of RAM. 8gb may seem like a lot, but I'm thinking about the long term. I can't afford to buy a new computer every year or two. Having the ability to install more than 8gb may mean I'll be able to run Windows 9 when it's released in a few years. I usually keep my computers about four years.