Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

need clarification about this news unity pro free for all sony playstation developers

Discussion in 'PSM' started by blackbird, Sep 17, 2014.

1. blackbird

blackbird

2. Stelitz

Stelitz

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  3. blackbird

blackbird

yeah sad :/

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

5. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

For the other platforms you need a dev kit from Sony which you have to pay quite a lot for so it isn't similar to PSM. For example if you want to make PS4 games you need to debug it on a PS4 dev kit not just a standard PS4. Basically this deal is just meaning if you pay Sony a few thousand pounds for the dev kit you will get a Unity Pro license included in that price with the dev kit which is similar to what the other console manufactures do.

With PSM you don't need a dev kit you just need a standard PS Vita which is a lot cheaper hence the difference. It wouldn't make sense for PSM to be included in the deal otherwise devs would just buy a vita as a cheap way of getting access to unity pro. What I do hope though is that in Unity 5, PSM is a free target platform providing you own a copy of Unity Pro. I also hope that eventually Sony makes a PSM equivalent for the PS4.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I agree with that but only if it's not retail, ie it's just homebrew. Retail (including online retail) needs barriers to entry if only to make people commit time and effort to a product. There's too much rubbish out there, and it would be preferable that consoles aren't *entirely* open to the point where it's polluted with garbage mobile ports, as it's not just developers, but the entire ecosystem including gamers, that suffer.

totsboy likes this.
  7. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

You don't need gatekeepers you just need better tools to empower users to find what they are interested in. For example I don't buy mobile games anymore because there is no way for me to find games that I consider good because there are no search tools or filters.

If I could just filter out all games that include in app purchases and perhaps have a half an hour refund policy I would start buying them again.

They need to do what they did with email back in the day. At one time when email spam became an issue most thought that the solution was to start charging a cost per email to try and stop people sending spam so that they would only send mail that needed sending.

As we all know the solution that won was spam filters. All they asked was that if people got an email that they didn't ask for and wasn't useful they marked it as spam.

Just that one step made email go from unusable to useful.

Game platforms need to start doing the same thing. I don't care how many free-to-play micro transaction farming games are made as long as I don't need to scroll through a list of them before I can actually start seeing the games I am interested in.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

We're entirely both entitled to disagree. I believe passionately in gatekeepers. I don't see the point of having a bucket of turds with a few gems floating on the top. In any case, a lot of top spots can be bought.

Sony's not really a gatekeeper anyway. So your comment is mostly a derail in this thread.

There's just an initial dev kit cost, it's not really anything to do with them choosing a selection of elite titles for you.

Barrier to entry != gatekeeper.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  9. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

That is already the case with Unity 4.3 - and there is no plan to change that for Unity 5.