Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

need answer

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by grobonom, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grobonom

grobonom

hi all.

I hope hippocoder will not delete this topic considering it's useless.....

I have a question that needs to be answered so please just be straight.

---> what is the purpose of offering unfunctionnal and buggy beta releases of unity ?

i can perfectly understand that dev team needs the try-getreport-and-redo dev method. IMHO it's just the best one. but.... this has to be done on what is called a release candidate. not on partially developped/bundeled software !

imagine your car beeing updated with new seats and audio system, but... well.... okay engine do not work anymore, and wheels are triangular.... but !!!! it's your car ! enjoy !

x))

sincerely am ready and really willing to contribute to bug-report and user-opinion-report anything in betas !
    just like i use to do with gimp and blender but...... seriously.... on the latest 2018.3.0bx there's nothing to say but.... 'open the strash'....

even if i like the new nested prefabs system, the new anim import layer, the new 'everything' i cannot say anything else but 'trashcaaaan !!!'

you guys ( who work so hard for offering users the best tool ( and obviously you're quite good at doing this ) have to keep in mind that unity is just a tool:
    data in ---> processing/work ---> data out

if in a way or other 'data out' is F***ed up then the whole tool have less value than a matchbox.

asking why i say this ?
    2018.3.0b5:
    base setup ( net 4.0 target ) simply don't work as is. missing things in unity install.
    even switching to net 3.5.... webgl build is empty tho noticed as successfull.
    oh you want the error ?
    unitylinker just crashed....

Failed running C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2018.3.0b5\Editor\Data\il2cpp\build/UnityLinker.exe -out="C:\unity\unitybug\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\tempStrip" -x="C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2018.3.0b5\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\WebGLSupport\Whitelists\Core.xml" -d "C:\unity\unitybug\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed" --dotnetruntime=il2cpp --dotnetprofile=legacyunity --use-editor-options

stdout:
    Fatal error in Unity CIL Linker
    Mono.Linker.Steps.XmlResolutionException: Failed to process XML description: C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2018.3.0b5\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\WebGLSupport\Whitelists\Core.xml ---> System.MissingMethodException: M�thode introuvable�: '!!0[] System.Array.Empty()'.
    � Mono.Linker.Steps.ResolveFromXmlStep.ProcessType(TypeDefinition type, XPathNavigator nav)
    � Mono.Linker.Steps.ResolveFromXmlStep.ProcessTypes(AssemblyDefinition assembly, XPathNodeIterator iterator)
    � Mono.Linker.Steps.ResolveFromXmlStep.ProcessAssembly(AssemblyDefinition assembly, XPathNodeIterator iterator)
    � Unity.Linker.Steps.Resolution.UnityResolveFromXmlStep.ProcessAssemblies(LinkContext context, XPathNodeIterator iterator)
    � Mono.Linker.Steps.ResolveFromXmlStep.Process()
    --- Fin de la trace de la pile d'exception interne ---
    � Mono.Linker.Steps.ResolveFromXmlStep.Process()
    � Mono.Linker.Steps.BaseStep.Process(LinkContext context)
    � Mono.Linker.Pipeline.Process(LinkContext context)
    � Unity.Linker.UnityDriver.Run()
    � Unity.Linker.UnityDriver.RunDriverWithoutErrorHandling()
    � Unity.Linker.UnityDriver.RunDriver()
    stderr:

UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    UnityEditorInternal.Runner:RunProgram(Program, String, String, String, CompilerOutputParserBase) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/BuildUtils.cs:128)
    UnityEditorInternal.Runner:RunManagedProgram(String, String, String, CompilerOutputParserBase, Action`1) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/BuildUtils.cs:73)
    UnityEditorInternal.AssemblyStripper:RunAssemblyLinker(IEnumerable`1, String&, String&, String, String) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/AssemblyStripper.cs:174)
    UnityEditorInternal.AssemblyStripper:StripAssembliesTo(String[], String[], String, String, String&, String&, String, IIl2CppPlatformProvider, IEnumerable`1, BuildTargetGroup, ManagedStrippingLevel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/AssemblyStripper.cs:121)
    UnityEditorInternal.AssemblyStripper:RunAssemblyStripper(IEnumerable, String, String[], String[], String, IIl2CppPlatformProvider, RuntimeClassRegistry, ManagedStrippingLevel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/AssemblyStripper.cs:305)
    UnityEditorInternal.AssemblyStripper:StripAssemblies(String, IIl2CppPlatformProvider, RuntimeClassRegistry, ManagedStrippingLevel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/AssemblyStripper.cs:198)
    UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPBuilder:Run() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:176)
    UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPUtils:RunIl2Cpp(String, IIl2CppPlatformProvider, Action`1, RuntimeClassRegistry) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:42)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

wich means there's something broken in unity for unity x))

well....

this topic should really be a simple and straight talk about the way you guys release useless betas.

and no shame ! we're all human and therefore not perfect !

hope some answers.

regards.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

You are supposed to install the updates only if you have experienced the problems they fix, which is why I never install them. This is clearly stated for each of the updates mentioned on the updates page: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

hippocoder likes this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi, your previous posts were ranting and complaining without any constructive content so they were deleted. In beta forums especially, we moderate strictly, so please ensure your content actually has content, thanks.

Any complaints about users and moderators, should be done with the report button.

Regarding your post, if you have a bug, please use the bug reporter tool as outlined here: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Thank you.

xman7c7, LeonhardP, grobonom and 2 others like this.
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

To tell them how un-functional and buggy they are so they can fix them before release.

5. Surprise: this is how enterprise software is made. It's like the sausages, basically you don't want to know how it made. Now you know.

If you think it's too buggy, than stay on the LTS or the previous non-beta and leave the bug-report to other people. Whatever, although if you do that, you're risking that something won't get reported because people don't use everything from Unity.

grobonom and hippocoder like this.
  6. grobonom

grobonom

true lurkingninjadev :)
    I've been developping software in aeronautics since more than 20 years....
    i totally agree with you on 2 points:
    1) no dev make a perfect work and the dev-report-correct is a good way of doing things
    2) soft dev is driven by profits ( now i know ;P )

Am just wondering why the main part of the dev-report-correct is not done internally by unity devs/internal users.

i mean.... for basic things, not for the very special shader i wrote and that do not work as i want ! I'm talkin about basic build !
    fundamental things, just as a plane for passengers security ;)

imagine a case when 86 ppl die in a crash due to some weakness in plane structure or in software chain ( it has been seen ) and the only survivor has to report a bug^^ i guess he would deserve the right to ask why engineers did not do things for such basic things ?
    hmm well i guess am touching a too sensible topic wich will lead to nowhere. but....

I love unity3D and IMHO devs really make a great work ! and i confess am really pissed off with thos lil things that darken all their good work !
    I wouldn't love U3D, i wouldn't be here yet taunting like a moron on U3D forum ;)

anyway i think we could talk about this for ages. Wich misght not be an uninterresting topic ^^
    mebe it should be opened ;P

@hippocoder: report ? never ! i will never report anything about you ! you know what you gotta do and i know what you can do :p and i read you since long time enough for not fighting you ! i prefer strongly discussion and exchange ^^

At last but not least....
    the 2018.3.0xx is just great !!!! except that i cannot build, i definetely want it as a future LTS !
    some things are not perfect and some erratic behaviour has to be reported but the concept, tho i had some time to spend with understanding new way of doing things, is really amazing !!!

I filed a bugrep on webgl build error ( looks like the ( my ? ) xml parser is F***ed up, and wait for some info on it. )
    i didn't find anything about this on the web/U3D forum....

happy unitying guys :))

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  7. What makes you think it isn't? Just because you encountered one or two annoying bugs does not tell anything if Unity QA reported none or reported a hundred internally.

WTF I just read?

Please. It is your decision if you want to participate in public beta and no one tells you that it's bug-free, on the contrary, they're asking you to submit bug-reports.

BTW, in some(!) sense(!) your aero work is easier, because of the limited circumstances your work has to work properly on limited number of hardware together with limited number of other software.
    Unity has bugs because no one on Earth can test it manually that everything is working in every possible scenario since it can be used on almost anything which has a CPU and some sort of GPU in it together with any other software in the existence and with an unpredictable user code and user actions and expectations.

LeonhardP and grobonom like this.
  8. grobonom

grobonom

obviously i cannot disagree :p
    it's just impossible to make sure a software give some result on windows 7 ;))
    software developpers are voodoo casters and it's not deterministic science/tech....

thanks anyway lurkingninjadev you took time for reading, event if you didn't catch all i wanted to say.
    No doubt my too bad english is in cause... but, even language is not a deterministic science ;))
    it's impossible to make sure every ppl in the world understand words with its own experience and some sort of brain ^^

i guess.... hippocoder is just laughing at all this ( i hope he does :p ) even if all this do not ( and won't ) answer the base question ^^

happy unitying^^

9. grobonom

grobonom

aside all those sterile purely theoretical considerations....

i managed to compile an empty webGL project on my deeply exotic config:
    AMDryzen/NV610GT win7 sp1 DX11 U3D2018.3.0b5

I just installed MS net framework 4.6 !!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/download/details.aspx?id=48130

after almost 2 weeks of questions, i found this ( thanx google ^^ )
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31253747/method-not-found-0-system-array-empty

It solved my issue !!!!

i wonder why this bloody 4.6 .NET framework is not bundeled in U3D betas ^^
    hey lurkinhninjadev, i wonder why !!! i didn't say i had to :p

anyway..... i hope this.... errr... solution ???? to be honest it's nothing but chance.... helps ppl on this issue.... if there are some ^^

oh ninja, do you have an idea of what to do when you filed a bug and you finally found a solution, for keepin U3D devs aware of the 'cure' ?
    i'd like just to tell tem the way i made it work ;))

happy unitying all !!!

10. Yep, I know. :)

I'm happy you have found the cure for your problem.

grobonom likes this.
  11. grobonom

grobonom

Thanks a lot !!!!!
    and if it can be usefull for other users struggling on this particular issue, it will be far better !!!

now please could you tell me how to file a potential solution on the bugreport i made some days ago ?
    sounds quite simple ( even if it took me several days ). am not an expert but if i can help on simple things i'll just be happy ^^

thanks and happy unitying !

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks, I'm not unfair, I just want to get the best from you. Small posts in other people's topics, not good enough! but here, you made a big effort so I'm happy :D

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  13. "To follow up on this case, send email to bugs@unity3d.com mentioning 'Case <your-case-number-insert-here>' in the subject."

Obviously you need to replace the <your-case-number-insert-here> with your real case number.

14. Muuuuo

Muuuuo

While this topic is really the worst kind of topic to start this discussion, the guy kinda does have a point as I've been thinking about the same thing.

I really think Unity's beta versions are closer to an alpha than a beta.

Usually around b6 you can expect something resembling a beta that doesn't break in <5min of you opening a tiny test project. f1 versions could be called "public beta test" and around f2 you usually have a release.

I think Unity could do much more testing before even offering these betas to the public. It's kind of an annoying time waste to download a beta just to find out it's broken on something fundamental so bad that you can't even try it out yet. Many issues I've ran to since 5.x betas are the kind of issues you'd notice near instantly if you'd open any real project with the beta.

While the definitions of the terms for beta/alpha/pre-alpha and so on can vary, at least on my standards the early Unity betas could hardly be called betas.

zhuxianzhi likes this.
  15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

So just renaming Beta to Alpha will solve all these complaints? sounds like a great solution, I'll pass it onto Unity.

I've locked the thread because the feedback has been made and this forum is for feeding back on features that will come out in a future release.

grobonom likes this.
  16. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks to your feedback now it will be.

grobonom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.