Search Unity

Feedback Need an option to use the old UI icons.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Marc-Saubion, May 30, 2020.

1. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Hi.

I've been using the new UI on 2019.3 these last days and it's not working out for me. These new icons are confusing because they look similar with each other.

See here a comparison between old and new and how they lack diversity.
    unity icons new and old comparison.png

The rigidbody is green like a collider. Rigidbodies and collider are not the same thing. They are complementary components and should be easy to differentiate.
    Lights and sounds component share the exact same yellow color.
    That sound filter looks like a light probes proxy and vice versa.
    And the reflection probe has literally the same icon than the sphere collider with an other color. It doesn't even look reflective.

Even worse, both rigidbody types share the exact same icon. o_O
    2020-05-30 23_14_14-Window.png

If you look at them as thumbnails, you get an idea of what you see at first glance. With the previous icons, I can see the rigidbody, the colliders, the joints. That's because they all have a distinct style and color.
    2020-05-30 23_15_02-Window.png 2020-05-30 23_15_22-Window.png
    I can't do that with the new icons because they are similar in both general shapes and share the exact same green color. That means they take more attention to be properly identified.

I have many other example of how the new icons lack colors and design identity and that's bad for production because we need to recognize component fast. The new icons are like a tv shows with look alike actors.

As someone who has taught Unity to many beginners working for a company or students at school over ten years, I know all the components are already hard to learn. I can tell you, this is going to make things worse now that the icons creates confusion.

When I'm teaching something, people need to see the difference between a rigidbody and a collider, not mix them up. They also need to recognize an oral description of the icon. And when they ask for help, I need to see what's what right away. These new icons make work harder for everyone.

Even for me when I'm getting back on an old project. Seing what gameobject has a rigidbody and what gameobject don't allows me to understand my scene right away. You removed that with these icons.

So can we get an option to have them back?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  2. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

I vouch for this. My unity subscription ended a few days ago, and now I'm considering UE4.... The new icons don't contrast well...

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  3. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Apparently there is a way to customize the editor with new colors and icons but the icons part doesn't work. I opened an other thread about it: https://forum.unity.com/threads/customize-editor-override-icons-doesnt-work.910028/

laurentlavigne and ZhavShaw like this.
  4. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

There is another problem with the new icons: they are made of multiple shapes separated by a black line so the brain has to decypher multiple shapes causing cognitive overload, also, since many icons share the same separated shapes, they're decoded as the same... :rolleyes: