Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've updated our Terms of Service. Please read our blog post from Unity CTO and Co-Founder Joachim Ante here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Need an option to hide "prefab icon" and "open prefab" arrow in Hierarchy view

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Artaani, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Artaani

Artaani

These cube icons on the left side and arrow icons on the right side - is a visual garbage which do nothing, but distracts.

2018-12-11 19_54_27-Window.png

We already know:
    Blue name - prefab
    Gray name - not prefab
    That is enough, no necessary for icon.
    Especially for a gray icon. I already know that it is not a prefab, no need to draw an icon near it.

What about arrow on the right side, we already have "Open" button in the Inspector view

2018-12-11 19_59_21-Window.png

No need to add an arrow next to each prefab. Maybe it is useful for level designers, but I don't need to edit prefabs so often, "Open" button is good enough.

So, can you please make an option in Unity Preferences to disable these UI elements?

For example there is a tool in the Asset Store
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/qhierarchy-28577
    which adds icons in the Hierarchy, but it have a large options window where you can setup anything. The same should be done for Unity.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    hippocoder and Romenics like this.
  2. 5argon

5argon

About the box there are these cases as well, not just blue box+blue name/white box+black name :
    - A blue box with forked arrow, blue name for variants
    - A white box with plus sign, black name for added prefab
    - Prefab mode on variant : white box but blue name for non-prefab at this level, but indicating it is the same prefab as variant's original prefab.
    - Prefab mode on variant : white box with plus sign, black name, for overrides as added game object which does not alter tree layout.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I entirely agree, I would like the option to configure the hierarchy to my taste, because before improved prefabs, I was configuring the hierarchy to my taste.

Now I can't.

No big deal, but not everyone is colour blind (or deaf or...) and so having it on by default but optional like the gizmos options seems, well, logical.

A little bit more info for our use case is, while we adopted nested prefabs, we don't need to know much about them as they're infrequent (basically a handful of uberprefabs per scene) and for the most part, tooling takes care of anything vaguely numerous (as tooling should).

So yeah, most of it is just clutter and noise for us. Hinting with blue is sufficient :)

Artaani and Romenics like this.
  4. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Me too. But please, please, please do this per-layout basis, like every other setting which affects the layout (font size and such) should be per-layout setting.

5argon, Artaani and Romenics like this.
  5. Artaani

Artaani

Understood. Good point. But would be better to have an options for it.

For example: Do not display cube if it is simple prefab or not prefab, but display cube with arrow if it is a prefab with nested prefabs.

Or something like that.

6. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

good luck. This was already requested and ignored by staff with cheap scuses