Search Unity

Need advice choosing a service

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Lurking-Ninja, May 13, 2021.

1. Hi, so I think I went through a couple of the available online services' feature and pricing list, but I'm curious about other people's ideas, maybe I missed something or you can give more point of views.

So, here is what I'm working on in a nutshell and what I need:
    - max 4 ppl coop (For The King! and Divinity Original Sin mixture with both game play and story twists), so it isn't pvp and it's relatively slow action, mostly hexa-based tactical game with both RPG and board game elements
    - because of this, I don't really need dedicated server
    - the game will be sold (if even) at one sum price, no GASlighting (game as service)
    - which means I need low-cost solution (good thing I don't need dedicated server)
    - what I'm looking for is a lobby service running somewhere which allows me to ping players together and netpunch with relay backup in case their firewall is acting too paranoid

Now, I know Steam allows this all, but if I'm not mistaken that's for Steam-players only. And I, in the name of bite a size I barely can handle if even... I would like to keep the opportunity to allow cross-play between (for now) an imaginary audience from steam, egs and various consoles. (Well, if it gains some traction only)
    So is there anything beyond Steam and PUN2?

Bear with me please, this is my very first time I'm stepping out onto the interwebs and network, I never went more far than, look it's working on our LAN, cool with anything ever.

I love to see any advice or clue if it's even possible or worth investigating further. (I also thank you if you just throw an article or tutorial at me which discusses the very questions I have, I'm not afraid to read).

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. toddkc

toddkc

3. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

I'd add another vote for PUN2, not least because of the automatic host migration, not having everyone disconnect if the host leaves is the most important aspect of client hosted games in my opinion.

Then there's also PUN2's single player mode which is excellent for making it possible to single step test network code in the debugger.

4. Recon03

Recon03

Use TNET, no cost and the developer has been around, and uses in his OWN games.... one of few that actually develops his own games and uses his OWN tools which is super important... I have used them all and found TNET, to be easy to use, over them all and NO COST.. It also has Steam integration. if need be.....

I have used Photon Bolt, Pun, and if I where to pick one it would be BOLT over PUN any day.. But TNET due to reasons I said...

The same developer made NGUI, which is one of the best UI tools I ever used which has been around and popular for years , even Unity hired him to be part of UGUI. in some ways.

5. Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion. I guess I wasn't clear, I'm not looking for code libraries, I can code myself or I can use any of the countless networking solutions we have. I'm looking for service. As far as I can find, TNet is an old networking C# library, no service behind it. I really don't want to leave the hard part (allowing people to connect to a game over the internet) to my future players.

-----

Question to everyone, who are reading this. Did anyone try Epic Online Services? Any findings/opinions about it?

6. Recon03

Recon03

The reason I said TNET, it has its OWN lobby, you can set up..... on anything it takes no resources...... if you want Net , or rely use STEAM, or EOS..... that solves that issue..

With TNET, you can code anything your self, its a library with some features.. but if you don't want that, use Steam or EOS......problem solved.

-" max 4 ppl coop (For The King! and Divinity Original Sin mixture with both game play and story twists), so it isn't"

You brought this up when you can do easily in TNET... took me 5 mins to set that up..... Other wise code that your self. with what ever networking you created...or library you created.....

You may want to be more clear on what service do you want, like what aspects? yes I use Unreal for 20 years and use it more than I do Unity..... EOS is amazing and even has a set up for Unity as well....

It boils down to where are you releasing the game????? Steam , Epic store?? where???

Other wise if you aren't you will need to use TNET, or something like it, but Nat and Rely you will need to make your self...outside of STEAM EPIC, Photon..

if you are not releasing on any of these stores, you are on your own, pretty much... for those features.

This makes little sense... Your OPTION is STEAM then, or EOS... This is more like a LISTEN server, P2P.. by the sounds of it....

I just set mine up for a game in UE 4, 10 mins ago... took me 5 mins. which is nice. made my in Steam and EOS... since i'm releasing in both. .. So it depends where you are releasing.

Last edited: May 18, 2021