Search Unity

Need a partner for Unity

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Scrollerer, May 22, 2017.

1. Scrollerer

Scrollerer

Hey Unity members :) I have recently begun to learn Unity (made just the starter Roll-a-ball. Game ) but the problem is that I cant motivate myself to open up Unity every day and learn something new.So I've decided to write here and try to find an advanced partner who is willing to help me learn it or a beginner just like me who can motivate me to learn Unity and make games together. If there is someone who is willing to be my partner,please write down :)

2. Iqew

Iqew

I'll give you a bit of my advice based on a little bit of my experience and by no means do I mean to be offensive or anything. If you don't have the motivation to learn something new in Unity, then how are you gonna make games then? I know that you are asking for someone with experience to be a "Sensei" of sorts to teach you but what if that still doesn't motivate you? I suggest you find the motivation in yourself and don't force it. I think motivation should come naturally especially for beginners like you. Perhaps you simply lack the passion for the craft of developing games.
    This is just my opinion though and don't let it discourage you.

DocJ, DitchTurtL and Scrollerer like this.
  3. Schneider21

Schneider21

Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, I agree with @Iqew on this: you're probably going to have to find your motivation from within. These forums have members from every possible skill set and all walks of life, but the one thing you never really see is someone who has mastered the tools, doesn't have their own projects they're working on, and has the time to personally mentor or partner with someone just starting out (for free).

Several of our more knowledgeable users have offered their consulting and mentoring services at a contracted fee, but the way I always see that play out is that in addition to being stingy with their time, the new person doesn't want to spend any of their money, either. So the only thing you could potentially have left of value would be an offer for trade of services. Like if you were really good at modeling and rigging characters, you could make art for someone who would help you write some of the trickier portions of your game.

If you've got no existing skills to offer, aren't willing to spend any money, and can't be bothered to learn on your own, you're not going to find much success on these forums. And I'd say that's probably also true of your chances with creating and finishing a game, too. But if you're willing to put in the work, you'll find a community that's happy to help steer you when you need it.

Figure out what's important to you. Do you really want to make a game, or are you just curious about how it's done? If you do really want it, how much of yourself are you willing to dedicate towards reaching that goal?

Good luck!

DocJ, Ryiah, Kiwasi and 3 others like this.
  4. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

Pm me if u like.....Im fairly new as well and working on a mobil project. I know how u feel, spend all day at work thinking about how u can do what u want with unity but by the time you get home your worthless and non motivated. I'm not active everyday but 6 out of 7 usuallly. I cant help you alot in the technical department but just chatting about your ideas can get the motivation level up. If your just looking for that I am more than willing. The more i talk about it the more i want to do it.

galacticdeep, Ryiah and Schneider21 like this.
  5. LaneFox

LaneFox

If you can't find motivation to learn Unity or get any further than roll-a-ball then you are probably wasting your time. Personal motivation is a major key to learning and success.

DocJ likes this.
  6. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

I agree completely but i do find myself frequently motivated while at work and just wanting to rest once i get home. I also get more exited the more i talk about it. I was just trying to be friendly and offer up some chit chat in the hopes his own motivation would kick in once the dialog began. I think it would even do me some good.

DocJ and galacticdeep like this.
  7. Schneider21

Schneider21

My advice fell pretty squarely in line with @LaneFox's (and I stand by it), but I absolutely identify with you on this, @FrankenCreations. I often find myself distracted while doing IRL tasks, thinking about things to do for my game. Then when things settle down and I actually have an hour or two before bed, I'm so mentally drained I just want to go on murder sprees in Hitman or -- dare I even say it -- sleep.

Co-motivating is a great form of collaboration for people of the same skill level. I think a lot of us more experienced people find the notion of motivating a newbie off-putting, since the benefit would be mostly one sided. But for you guys, it could really work out! Kudos to you for jumping at the opportunity!

DocJ and galacticdeep like this.
  8. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

Well if there is anything im good for its that. I like thinking about how to do it almost as much as i like doin it. Yes motivating and even helping brand new users would be no less than drab for a guru. I think new people should speak up and help each other.

DocJ and Schneider21 like this.
  9. Schneider21

Schneider21

I like you. You should stay here. ;)

DocJ, Kiwasi and FrankenCreations like this.
  10. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

That is my goal. Ive been using unity and reading posts for about 2 or 3 months. I figured it was time to quit lurkung and say something.

DocJ likes this.
  11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Effective, but be careful. You can end up like me and spend more time talking about making games on the forums then you do actual games.

;)

Welcome aboard

12. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

Off topic bad but I talk my wife to death about it. Her eyes glaze over and she goes all zombie but I keep goin. I find it helps me remember and learn in general. I use the forum for info alot but its in the form of answered questions found by google. I have been reading just random posts in the morning with coffee before work and a bit after the day is over when I'm winding down for the night like an old man would with a newspaper.

DocJ likes this.
  13. Schneider21

Schneider21

This is fine. It's only a problem when you catch yourself browsing the forums during your game development time. I sometimes catch myself doing that because helping other people with their problems is often easier than figuring out my own.

Only loosely related, but another trap I fall into often is not resisting the urge to talk about what I'm working on. Expressing an idea you have to someone else does something inside your brain, triggering the same sense of satisfaction we get from actually doing that thing. I've seen this manifest itself in my case when I show off early progress of a game project, and then fill in the gaps with details about what I will do eventually. It ends up actually demotivating me to do that work, since I've already gotten the gratification of sharing that with the world.

Ryiah likes this.
  14. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

The only 2 people I ever share any details with are my wife who gets used like a rubber duckie hearing all of the gory technical stuff but retaining none of it and the artist I collaborate with. I get no effect from my wife, really like talkin to the duck, she even responds the same. I get the opposite effect from sharing with the artist. After I've told him I plan to implement whatever feature creep I've come up with next I feel almost like I need to get it done asap so I can send him a new build to play with. Its almost like I know he's expecting it so I better deliver now. We dont have that kind of relationship both of us are just in it for the fun but sometimes I will even keep my next greatest brainstorm to myself for a day or two so I dont stay up till 4 am working on it.

15. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Just read this statement by itself out of context. That made me giggle.

;)

DocJ, Ryiah, FrankenCreations and 2 others like this.
  16. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

Nope...pretty much it in context....glassy eyes and drool dribbling at the first word of anything computer related....we call her a computard...lovingly of course.

DocJ likes this.