Search Unity

Need a little help getting started!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by WaifuShork, Jul 7, 2020.

1. WaifuShork

WaifuShork

So! I know a lot of people come on here and ask about things that are possible to make in Unity, or just flat out how to do them, with no prior skill. Well, I have no skill. But I'm hunting resources!

I've taken some time to familiarize myself with the Unity Editor and how most of the things work, Hierarchy, Inspector (can't name it all off the top of my head), but I can navigate myself around Unity itself semi-decently. But what I'm struggling with right now is understanding the actual core fundamentals of the engine itself. I've watched/read a few tutorials on "making your first game" and what not, but I've found them all the really lack in the explanation of how the code works with Unity. I know it doesn't help I have very little knowledge of C#, which brings up my next point!

Should I spend a few months getting myself completely educated on C# as a whole? before I even begin to tackle working in Unity? or should I learn it simultaneously with the engine? Because I know that obviously knowing the language will help a lot, but how much of Unity actually depends on the core functions of C#? cause I've noticed the engine has a lot of features of its own that handles things, and the language is just the format structure (that's probably entirely wrong..).

My whole point of this is, I'd like to know a good, solid foundation of where to start, what to learn, and how to familiarize myself with how the code itself makes the game tick.

Thanks in advance! I really look forward to all the advice :D

2. Vryken

Vryken

I would personally recommend getting familiar with C# and the fundamentals of object-oriented programming first, those being:
    • Encapsulation
    • Abstraction
    • Inheritance
    • Composition
    • Polymorphism
    • Interfaces
    Derek Banas has a great tutorial playlist on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGLfVvz_LVvRX6xK1oi0reKci6ignjdSa

Though there is an argument to be made that it's not entirely necessary to learn everything about C#, as working with C# in Unity is a little bit different than working with C# in general.
    Still, it does help to know these things.

3. jbnlwilliams1

jbnlwilliams1

4. IrrisWhatts

IrrisWhatts

I totally support this answer!