Search Unity

Need a joint to act as a fix joint in response to all outside forces but allow rotation on keypress

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by WilkinsMicawber, Dec 11, 2016.

1. WilkinsMicawber

WilkinsMicawber

I am attempting to build a human skeleton with rotatable feet upon input from a controller. I would like for the force from the ground when gravity pulls the player into it not to rotate the foot. Is there any way to have the joint be fixed for all forces but to give way to the rotation commands of the controller? I would like for the forces from the foot to affect outside objects upon rotation but not have every force that strikes the foot immediately cause rotation of the foot and the body to fall. Setting the joint to "limited" causes the entire skeleton to go haywire after any collision and fly around unpredictably, but the results are close to ideal aside from the glitch.

I attempted to reverse all forces on and during collision events, but the impulse is an average of the forces and isn't precise enough to allow complete reversal of all collisions.

Edit: Ok, so turning off preprocessing got rid of the glitch and may have fixed the problem. If any of you know of a better way to do this than rotating around a fixed joint, i'd be elated to hear about it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016