Search Unity

Neato Tags - Gameobject Tagging System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by KingRecycle, Dec 10, 2022.

1. KingRecycle

KingRecycle

Yo! Thanks for clicking this thread and checking Neato Tags out!

I've always found Unity's built-in tag system very basic and in some cases useless with it's limitations,
    so I've looked for tag systems online and used a few but either it's limited in features, doesn't meld well with the rest of Unity, or the dev promised features but have gone M.I.A.

Because of that I figured I'd just create my own and add the features I want and make it look nice using the new UI Toolkit. Tagging isn't something that is required in Unity as there are many ways around it but I think some people will find it easier and more intuitive. Just my opinion though.

Neato Tags uses ScriptableObjects which allows customization for the tags and should prevent string related errors like a lot of other tag systems use. You don't have to keep track of a "manager" class in your scenes, as long as one object has a Tagger component you're good.
    Neato Tags uses queries for tag checking and uses many extensions to gameobject so you never are required to call GetComponent as Taggers are cached.

Code (CSharp):
    1. if ( myGameObject.HasTag( Monster ) {
    2.     //your code here
    3. }
    5. if( myGameObject.HasAnyTagsMatching( Monster, Boss ) {
    6.     //your code here
    7. }
    This does use UI Toolkit for custom inspector stuff so Unity version is limited to 2021.3 and up. None of my code is hidden so you can change it as you like or add features yourself.

If anyone has feature requests, bugs, or whatever please contact me and let me know! I am not the best programmer so even I make mistakes or have oversights!

Visit the asset store page for pictures and more info! Neato Tags