Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

NavMeshSurfaces and Agent Types

Discussion in 'AI & Navigation Previews' started by Mystiq, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Mystiq

Mystiq

This new NavMesh work basically saved my ass. The game I'm working on now requires dynamic updates so to have that ability in 5.6 is a life-saver. I do have one concern, though.

Correct me if I'm wrong. In the old NavMesh system, you bake a mesh and then each NavMeshAgent can specify its own size for collision purposes. NavMeshSurfaces can only be baked for one agent at a time so now if I want to have different agent sizes, I need one NavMeshSurface per agent type. For most games, you'll have a different size for almost every unit type. If I want to update the mesh real time, this update time now basically scales linearly with my model count. This strikes me as a performance problem as well as a bit of a logistics mess as I'll have to have one NavMeshSurface component on my terrain for each agent.

daisySa and Sarrivin like this.
  2. Sarrivin

Sarrivin

Yes, I think NavMesh(surfaces) should be working for one, multiple or all agents.
    If Unity added a possibility to reuse NavMesh for all agents that would be a step in a really important direction.

If we have many types of units, like maybe 10 or 40, I imagine now we would need to have 10 or 40 NavMeshes in same places. That's absurd.