Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

NavMeshAgent AI getting stuck on plain ground

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by egartnuc, Nov 28, 2018.

1. egartnuc

egartnuc

Hi,

I have an issue I've been struggling with back and forth for a while, coming back to now and then.

I have a NavMeshAgent with a script for its' behaviour, in which there is a Evade()-method. The problem is that whenever this is running, after a while (usually a few seconds) the agent gets stuck.

The destination of the agent is based on the player, as you will see, which also allows the agent to get unstuck if I move the player object. So basically, as long as my character don't stand still, the agent will keep moving.... 99% of the time.

I use the following code for the evade-method:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Vector3 runDir = transform.position - player.transform.position;
    2. newPosition = transform.position + runDir;
    3. agent.SetDestination(newPosition);
    I have of course been messing around with the agent settings: the pathfinding, obstacle avoidance and priority parameters, to no help. What I do notice is that sometimes, if I change radius to a higher value the agent changes the direction on its' own and gets unstuck that way. But if I hardcode that in it just gets stuck again instantly since it returns the radius value instantly, or if I'd put it in a coroutine with a delay it would appear, with its' animation, to be stuck anyhow (however slightly) and just not seem natural.

Any suggestions? Appreciate the help.

BR,
    Tomas

2. egartnuc

egartnuc

Wow. Came up with the solution, I think, during lunch break. The agent stops because its in its max distance from player, at its destination.

It explains all behaviours. Oh well.