Search Unity

NavMesh vs Movement Controller for Enemy movement

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by Bees-MD, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Bees-MD

Bees-MD

Should I use a NavMeshAgent or the player movement controller for my enemy movement?

So I'm new to unity and I bought a controller for an easier entry/faster build. Now its not about the controller itself but it does all the basics for the player and for any moving sprite as far as i can tell. I've re-coded it to work for a enemy and right now it basically just tracks the NavMeshAgent around its path. I'm trying out NavMesh and learning that it seems easier to just use NavMesh but before I commit too much time one way or another I thought I'd ask. Would it be better to just commit the time to a modified player controller or just learn NavMesh better? or both?

I wont show the code because its not mine.

If interested I'm using "Character Movement Fundamentals" for the player the guy who made it is 10/10. The code is well commented and I've easily modified it for a double jump.

2. Yandalf

Yandalf

What's insufficient about having the Controller follow the agent's path? It seems like a good solution to me if you're happy with the controller as is and just want to include pathfinding?

3. Bees-MD

Bees-MD

I forgot to put in the post that this is for s 3rd person spyro like game.

I guess I'm trying to see if there is a benefit to using the Controller+Agent path combo. Im currently fumbling through getting it to work but i haven't seen a post about someone trying the both an pointing out the pro/cons.

It seems to me for low movement NPC's (animals, weak slow enemies) a plain navmesh would be the best. where a NPC that jumps or dodges a controller/agent mix would be better.