Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

NavMesh.CalculateTriangulation(); is deprecated without a replacement

Discussion in '2022.2 Beta' started by hippocoder, May 14, 2022.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Just making sure everyone knows that it is marked for deprecation in the codebase but not in the documentation, and this is a confusing thing.

I currently rely on it so please do not remove it without an equivalent in place. Otherwise it would kind of kill our mojo and dev speed transferring meshes between different unity versions if you do remove it.

To compound this problem, it affects both the component workflow (for which there is no equivalent there either) and the built in UnityEngine workflow.

So it's a doubly dangerous thing to just pen it as deprecated.

If you will remove it, please ensure that there is a replacement from which we can obtain the mesh data, thanks!

Also I'm not sure when you'll nuke it, hence it's posted here. Triple nervous!

mh114 likes this.
  2. Thaina

Thaina

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

So odd!

Well thanks for checking. If it's stickling around then never mind me!

This actually shows up in visual studio for some reason and set me off as we have really fantastic workflows based around remeshing and rebaking to navmesh-modify the path in a controlled way. If that was lost, we'd have to start from scratch, so you can understand my concern.

So long as Unity continues to allow us to get the triangles, and modify navmeshes (and even better, set them directly) then all is well.

Nav is a neglected area but because of that neglect, a lot of strong custom tooling has no doubt popped up over the years in studios and it's worth securing a future for this.

mh114 likes this.