Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

NavMesh blocking a clear path after adding Carve obstacle near by (Video of problem)

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by Shbli, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Shbli

Shbli

This is an old problem I face and it's annoying, I tried a lot of unity3D versions, from the beta up to today (5.1.2)

Check out the video here:

2. Shbli

Shbli

I reported a bug, Case 721123

3. Shbli

Shbli

I still haven't got a reply from internal unity3D guys

Any help? Workaround for this?

4. Shbli

Shbli

Does anybody need me to post the sample project?

It's very simple, also there's no code in it not so ever, just the simple puzzle you see in the video, without the texture even

I have over 50 public beta testers and would love to solve this asap

5. Shbli

Shbli

Manually changing the voxel size to 0.025 did the trick.

Thank you for your support unity3D, I had to fix your bugs alone

Meheraj7 likes this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I can't see what the problem is. Care to explain in text?

7. Shbli

Shbli

NavMesh agent is unable to pass through the path (only because there is a NavMesh Obstacle 3 meters away)

If I disable the NavMesh obstacle (but that is anyways far, should not affect the path in that location) then the player is able to pass.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Do you have a collider on the navmesh agent? they really don't work well together yet. There's a lot of scheduled changes for navmesh agent and navmesh in the new year which are currently being worked on which would make this easier.

I currently get the path from the navmesh api and move things physically if physics are involved.

In addition you should verify the agent actually has a valid path & carving is enabled. An obstacle will not cause something to re-route, while carving will.

In short, it doesn't look like a bug, but you using it wrong. Don't take offence at this, it's just what I'm seeing. Other things to look at might be the radius or something.

There seems to be a potential bug with it taking the wrong route sometimes, and perhaps that route is where your obstacle is! in any case the whole thing is going to get overhauled.

9. Shbli

Shbli

Hi again

I have a trigger attached to my character only.

No worries, I fixed it already by changing the Voxel size, though it created lots of holes and I'm going through the whole game world again making sure everything is connected.

Physics not involved, and I only use "Move" method for the controllable player to move, I'm sure the issue is not in the code, even the scene editor the problem happens (Which is in the submitted project with the case, it have 0 scripts, you can check it with the scene editor)

Thanks for your replies ;)

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Anything I can do to help. I'm sorry it's not much but perhaps Unity will take interest in this topic. Personally, I try to help people with their problems because a bug-free Unity really is rather good for everyone.

11. Shbli

Shbli

It's ok, I'm used to this, put my problems online and after week or two solve them alone.

No worries, we all love unity and it's the only one also ;)

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Every time I look at UE4 I run home screaming. It's for when I get staff or something.

Shbli likes this.
  13. Shbli

Shbli

It's better, but it is still happening, much less now, so I'm manually changing the position on things that are creating problems

14. Moonstorm

Moonstorm

@hippocoder Is the system really gonna get overhauled? How do you know this? Can I see updates for this somewhere?