Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Navigation/Navmesh - Failed to create agent because it is not close enough to the Navmesh

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by phxtr, Oct 21, 2017.

1. phxtr

phxtr

I had a working project, and made some customization and all of a sudden started getting the above error.

I lost nearly a whole day troubleshooting this issue, rebaking the navmesh, redoing the agent settings, adding debug code, reading pages and pages of unity docs, as well as google results, etc. etc. Only to find out the error was 'expected'.

I finally got lucky and found the solution in this thread here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/cas...nt-type-causes-failed-to-create-agent.485847/

The 'problem' was that I had added a new agent type. The procedure/interface was just like adding a new type for everything else (tags, layers, etc), so I never realized additional steps were required to make a new agent type work.

Nothing in the documentation stated that the standard Navmesh is ONLY for the 'Humanoid' agent, and that adding a new type requires extra procedures.

Could you modify the Navigation pages to mention this fact? Somewhere in the more general sections that people are more likely to see, and not buried somewhere preferably, 8^).

Would possibly save a lot of people a lot of headache and lost time troubleshooting something that could be avoided with a quick mention in the documentation.

Berillium, Frable and trinistry like this.
  2. trinistry

trinistry

The internet needs more heroes like you! Thank you for posting that here. There is no indication what so ever, why the agent would refuse to be on a NavMesh, when it is a custom agent type.

Berillium and Frable like this.
  3. Frable

Frable

@phxtr Huge thank you from my side as well.
    Ran into the exact same issue and of course wasted lot of time to recheck various aspects.
    Never imagined that this might be the root cause for the problem.
    Changing to the default "humanoid" agent type made it work without a hitch.

Berillium likes this.