Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Nav mesh problem, character needs to start on terrain

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by UniversalGesture, Nov 11, 2018.

1. UniversalGesture

UniversalGesture

I noticed that in order for my character to be able to use nav mesh, it needs to start on a baked terrain at the beginning of the game. If it starts on an object or midair it won't work. How can I solve this?

2. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

If that is a problem for you, you could activate the NavMeshAgent component only after it is near a baked mesh.

3. UniversalGesture

UniversalGesture

Yeah but then the character can't use the pathfind script which works both on terrain and objects.

4. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

I don't think Unity supports pathfinding without NavMesh out of the box. AFAIK

5. UniversalGesture

UniversalGesture

The pathfind script works fine on non terrain objects, but I'm not sure why my character has to start on a terrain

6. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Okay, let's go in to the details, could you please describe what is the exact error or event you see and whether or not you have a baked navmesh on the very object you try to start on?
    You can't really use pathfinding midair, as I said, Unity does not support off-mesh pathfinding AFAIK except for the OffMesh Links.
    And even in the example you can see that they are baking on an object. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/nav-BuildingNavMesh.html

unityunity