Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Nav generating INSIDE non-walkable objects.

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by sigbuserror, Dec 8, 2016.

1. sigbuserror

sigbuserror

So I have been working with Unity for a while and have long been unable to figure out a solution to this problem. We have are trying to use the Unity Navigation system but even when an solid object is set to not be walkable it will only cut the nav at the shell of the mesh, resulting in islands hidden inside the objects. This is true even using the basic 3d objects built into Unity. Is there any way to avoid this? I would like to avoid having to switch to a new navigation system just because of this one issue but it is a major deal-breaker.

Attached Files:

TechRoxx5 likes this.
  2. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

yep a plague of recast. UT's fixing it and with a bit of luck and nagging it'll be in 5.6.
    it's not a deal breaker though, when you spawn, test that it reaches valid points on the navmesh.

3. cyuxi

cyuxi

The problem is the height of the Non-walkable Object can not be higher than the Agent Height.
    If your agent height is 2, then your Object height cannot larger than 2, otherwise unity wont consider the volume of the object.
    I have tested this with a box, first scale the box a bit larger to get a reasonable volume, then scale it on height(y), and you will see the problem occurs when the height go over the Agent Height.
    I consider this a bug of unity because there is no reason to make a much taller non-walkable object walkalbe inside but the shorter one remains solid... How Ridiculous! o_O:mad:

AlexTheOutsider and erenaydin like this.
  4. christougher

christougher

Perhaps adding NavmeshModifierVolume or NavmeshModifier to your obstacles and set it to unwalkable would be useful. Doesn't suffer from navMeshes being built when too far within the obstacle's collider edges. It would be nice if these could be based of a mesh though, currently just box and cylinder...

idbrii and laurentlavigne like this.
  5. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

This is nagging a lot of users - we have plans to add a seed-point what will optionally cull polygons not connected to the seed point. Not coming any time soon - until then i second the modifier volume approach (if the shape fits).

6. Alex_curiscope

Alex_curiscope

This is sooooo annoying, sorry! My god it just seems like a really basic feature? Why can the nav mesh obstacles only be boxes or capsules? I have a bunch of rocks that are irregularly shaped and I'm getting nav mesh generating on the underlying terrain inside the rocks. Just infuriating.

7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

It's been a while already, over a year already. What's the hold up?

8. butaca

butaca

Same issue here. Any news on this? The NavmeshModifierVolume workaround is tedious and time consuming. Thanks.

9. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Temporary solution: bake mesh using colliders

10. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Unity, been A full year pretty much, a response would be appreciated on this as it is still happening.

11. Alex_curiscope

Alex_curiscope

The solution is to switch industries to post production - then if you have bugs they'll be falling over their feet to fix it for you :)

patmckenna likes this.
  12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Would love this, any chance of it happening? Or maybe suggestion for us, as we are trying to make the process as automatic as possible due to small team size.

13. AlejandroDaJ

AlejandroDaJ

Still a major issue...

14. bagelbaker

bagelbaker

We have this issue also, we'd love to have this fixed!

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I understand this issue correctly now, it's just the navmesh doesn't really have a volume to it so there will always be the same island inside further down. These areas can be easily checked: assuming your colliders are all convex (they really should be or your game is wasting performance), you can do a sphere overlap check at the destination navmesh. If it collides then you know that destination is inside geometry. This works with convex or primitive colliders because those colliders have volume so the sphere check will register true if inside :)

Hope that helps, this is no longer an issue for anyone and just poke me with @ if you need more advice, any readers.

16. AkhmedAbasov

AkhmedAbasov

And how to deal with it?

12.png 21.png

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The reason this happens is because navmeshes are technically 2D, so it's "by design". You need to make your code deal with it, but in reality, an agent will fail to path there and you would have no reason to tell them to go there, right?

18. AkhmedAbasov

AkhmedAbasov

The problem is that my AI have the functions of a free walk. It is implemented using the NavMesh.SamplePosition function, which defines these zones as accessible for walking. I found a solution to the problem, but I have to do a lot of manual work, closing these empty spaces.

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep, don't forget you can raycast the location beforehand (navmesh raycast is 2D and Physics raycast is 3D). Or simply path there and check if it only has a partial path (look at API for this), and can then easily reject it.

20. AkhmedAbasov

AkhmedAbasov

I have already done everything manually 33.png

lc0040 likes this.
  21. GenOli

GenOli

Nearly 3 years and no fix, this is a travesty...

Ishimine, Griffo, funkyCoty and 6 others like this.
  22. PrimeSoul

PrimeSoul

This needs a fix asap

Griffo likes this.
  23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's not broken if you're wondering, it's just a limitation of the technique with easy workarounds. So technically everyone is asking for a feature.

24. juanfornos

juanfornos

I have to disagree. A user only cares about the functionality regardless of its implementation and from this point of view, this is broken since it doesn't work as expected. From a user perspective this is a bug.

25. Daerst

Daerst

I'd be happy if I could post-process the NavMesh myself and manually remove all the regions that are not connected to a reference point, but it seems Unity doesn't give me this opportunity. Am I wrong?

26. DwinTeimlon

DwinTeimlon

Afaik you can't do this at the moment. But what you can do is add NavMeshModfier volumes to those houses, which would prevent it from happening.

27. imrankhanswati

imrankhanswati

That's wright but then we have to use NavMeshSurface which is quit limited compare to the already included Navigation system. So me personally i will stay away from it.

28. DwinTeimlon

DwinTeimlon

Hmm really, I thought NavMeshSurface is more advanced and faster than the old system. What do you mean by limited in your case?

29. Vincent454

Vincent454

Was something like this ever implemented? This would be extremely useful

30. Vincent454

Vincent454

31. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Nice. Unity should build that in.

Griffo and Vincent454 like this.
  32. lejean

lejean

He wasn`t kidding.
    3.5 years later and still not fixed.

I`m spawning enemies with sample position and if there's an island it's possible they get placed on the island and they won't be able to move around.

Big problem. Guess I'll have to look into the cleaner but it's yet another work around.

scorp2007, eggsamurai and Razputin like this.
  33. eggsamurai

eggsamurai

34. Vincent454

Vincent454

Please give us an update ;__;

Ghat-Smith likes this.
  35. erdostamasa

erdostamasa

Guess its never coming

36. ChrisKurhan

ChrisKurhan

If you're baking in the Editor, you can apply NavMeshModifierVolumes inside the objects that get a NavMesh generated inside them. If you're baking at Runtime, you can use the completed callback on the AsyncOperation returned from NavMeshBuilder.UpdateDataAsync to do any bake post-processing. I have a tutorial here where I show how to use NavMeshBuilder.UpdateDataAsync as well.

While it would be preferable to have the system understand non-walkable objects include inside those objects, there are pretty straightforward workarounds for this, as well as the asset linked by Vincent that has exceptional reviews

AlexTheOutsider likes this.
  37. Lord-Megabite

Lord-Megabite

Guys, use the 'Navmesh Cleaner' asset from unity asset store and problem solved. Doesnt take more than a few clicks to do it and the result is perfect. Still wondering how a company like Unity cant solve a problem on their on software like this for years, even they now that is very bad design. Navmeshes are technically 2D ? glad unity is a 3d engine XD

38. Vincent454

Vincent454

It works really well, but with the new navmesh components it will not use links to check if an island is connected. Also if you are doing any changes to the navmesh at runtime, or have a procedurally generated world it will also cause problems as it takes quite a while to process :(

39. patmckenna

patmckenna

Wow, brutal. Especially since hippocoder's workaround is the exact solution that Unity could use during baking to filter these out. CapsuleCast & reject. A trivial fix for a *checks watch* 5 year old thread. SMH
    Note: NavMeshModifierVolume isn't sufficient for my case. I want the top of my obstacle to be navigable, but not the inside.
    Guess I'll try out the Navmesh Cleaner posted above.
    Thank you to all who came before me & shared their solutions. ♥

Vincent454 likes this.
  40. patmckenna

patmckenna

Navmesh Cleaner is really neat but unfortunately my use-case is for baking at runtime.

This experience has been pretty frustrating, so I'll share some of my adventure for those who come next.

My main problem: I want the top of my obstacle(s) to be navigable, but the inside cannot be.

Idea: split the object in two! A non-walkable object below, and a walkable object above. My objects are all box-shaped, so this was pretty easy for me. And it works!... Kind of. At least until you put two walkable objects next to each other and expect it to have a continuous navmesh.

Apparently, the non-walkable object below messes with the algorithm such that they come out separate:
    walkable on top of non-walkable bug.png

This behaviour is definitely a bug since it's different if the object below is marked "walkable".
    navmesh inside walkable objects.png

And since Unity uses the Mesh Renderer instead of colliders to define the navmesh (?!?), I can't get away with just adjusting the size of the collider, I have to leave a visible ~0.2 unit gap between the two renderers for the NavMesh to be continuous.

So, my current "solution" is going to be a 3-layer cake: a non-walkable object to cut the NavMesh on the surface below. A middle object not marked as "Navigation Static" so the NavMesh bake doesn't consider it, and finally the top most objects marked as walkable. Since the algorithm now sees a gap between the non-walkable and walkable objects, it connects the walkable ones as you would expect.

Not a very nice workflow, but here we are. Glad I'm only working with ProBuilder cubes! Good luck to everyone else.

Vincent454 likes this.
  41. patmckenna

patmckenna

superdupergc and Vincent454 like this.
  42. patmckenna

patmckenna

I suspect this is all because all the different
    StaticEditorFlags
    just get rolled into isStatic at runtime, so you can't have static geometry that is also not
    NavMeshStatic
    , it's all just isStatic true so it gets included in the navmesh. You either have to use layers to mark them up, or an
    NavMeshModifier
    component.

Vincent454 likes this.
  43. eliteforcevn

eliteforcevn

no fix today i think i should go to UE is the best choice in future :3

dichtermut likes this.
  44. pumarc

pumarc

Same issue here.

The way that old "bake" button and the new one on NavmeshSurface component is baking is not exactly the same.

In the old "bake" buttom, it doesn't create navmesh inside an static object.
    In the new NavmeshSurface, it creates navmesh inside objects, doesn't matter if the object is static or not.

45. scorp2007

scorp2007

did the solution appear?

46. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

yep there is an asset called navmesh cleaner. you set a few targets in your world and anything that can't reach that gets marked with a nonwalkable object that nukes them when you bake a second time

47. Sacryn

Sacryn

I had the same issue. Using NavMeshSurface and NavMeshModifier(Volume) during runtime. I did my own workaround once i realized that NavMeshBuildSource has a shape property with multiple shape types. Two of which look similar but behaved different. NavMeshBuildSourceShape.Box acts as a hollow box (causing the insidedes of stuff to have NavMesh polygons). I forked the whole NavMeshComponents package and changed the modifier source to use the avMeshBuildSourceShape.ModifierBox shape instead, which acts as a solid box.

In the end, I ended up modifing the NavMeshModifier(Volume) classes to expose a shape option, so I can properly select basics shapes or even a specific mesh to act as the modifier volume.

DwinTeimlon and laurentlavigne like this.
  48. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

Can you provide a link to this code? I looked on the git hub page but couldn't seem to find it.

49. dichtermut

dichtermut

Is there really still no solution from Unity to this? NavMesh cleaner is not a solution for those of us who are working with runtime mesh generation.

50. Sacryn

Sacryn

Epic late reply.... See attached patch file. Its probably full of bugs, but it works for my needs. We based our changes on com.unity.ai.navigation@1.0.0-exp.4 and I believe there is newer release available. So you'll probably need to tweak it a bit to fit whatever version you're using

Attached Files:

DwinTeimlon likes this.