Search Unity

NativeToolkit and Movie/Video Playback

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by BasketQase, Jun 15, 2011.

1. BasketQase

BasketQase

This is probably an easy question, but I couldn't find the answer from searching the forum. Anyway, is it possible to use NativeToolkit's access to the iOS SDK to playback a movie file or do I need to spring for Unity iPhone Pro and use iPhonUtils.PlayMovie()?

Thanks!

PS - If it is possible, I may end up asking some follow-up questions to help in implementing that plan. ;)

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

You don't need nativetoolkit, that makes no sense.
    But yeah you can use a plugin to easily add movie playback (I'm really puzzled on why its a pro feature on iOS, given its a matter of at max an hour for anyone with some iOS experience to create a plugin that does exactly that, playing movies - and plugins are available on both iOS licenses)

You might want to check Primes plugins if his "collection" ones potentially offer it already

3. BasketQase

BasketQase

Pardon me for not making sense. NativeToolkit professes to be "your bridge for communicating between Unity and iOS." My reasoning was that if it could be used to display ViewControllers and NIB files, I might be able to access MoviePlayer through a NativeToolkit displayed ViewController.

I have almost no experience writing plugins myself, so I didn't want to have to go that direction if I didn't have to. (Why reinvent the wheel?)

In any case prime[31]'s EtceteraTwo plugin does, in fact, advertise movie playback without need of Unity iPhone Pro, so when I get a chance, I will give that a try.