Search Unity

Native VR

Discussion in 'VR' started by AvGaz, Dec 9, 2019.

1. AvGaz

AvGaz

I see the SDK isn't necessary to setup a VR camera for Cardboard as it's now built in, but what is the best way to then add a reticle with some functionality (click button).

Also, what was the point in all the other stuff that the SDK had in the hierarchy, in the sample scenes?

Thank-you.

2. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Look at the Unity VR example pack from Unity on the asset store, that's a great starting point!

These resources are always a quick Google search away and there are loads of other solutions available, it just depends what is the best fit for your understanding/project.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/12/09/get-started-with-vr-sample-pack-learning-articles/

3. AvGaz

AvGaz

Thanks, appreciate the quick response!

4. AvGaz

AvGaz

they depreciated the VR Example Pack, ...trying to simply the whole VR thing, just need a VR camera and gaze / reticle button. Wasn't sure why the SDK needs so many things (event manager etc) and if that is needed why the native VR is there, if you ultimately need the SDK.

5. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

You're in for a bit of a rabbit-hole journey for a gaze reticule as the Unity UI doesn't really support VR gaze inputs properly however there is a hacky solution. I copied a solution suggested in this post, but an official Unity solution is still in the works (feels like things are moving very slow for them in the VR space)

https://forum.unity.com/threads/unitys-ui-and-xr-input.671893/

Apologies for any confusion and let me know if you need any help, see 'dwatt-hollowworldgames' comment in that thread for the solution

6. AvGaz

AvGaz

Thanks, I see you've been participating in the forum for some time, appreciate your expertise!

ROBYER1 likes this.