Search Unity

Native Volumetric fog and that package used for the Adam demo

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by diegzumillo, Jan 29, 2020.

1. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Hi there,
    I tested the volumetric fog and area light package released in 2018 and I think it works great. It's simple to use and tweak to my will.

But I just downloaded the new Unity and gave a try to HDRP, which turns out also has this functionality out of the box. However I spent half an hour exploring all the parameters and it was hard to figure out how to do even the simplest things, at the end I got almost something usable but not as pretty.

My question is, is this the same implementation in a more flexible package? (flexible as in, fits-all-needs with a million more parameters) or is it a new thing? Did it evolve from the other?

Any arguments for me to use one or the other?

2. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

No one has experience with either packages?

3. uMotiejus

uMotiejus

Unity Technologies

Hello. With the description you provide is hard to say why the result is "not as pretty". But when exploring the fog key elements to keep an eye on would be Depth Extent (Lower values=smaller area=better quality), use Filtering (in advanced settings), enable High Quality volumetrics (in HDRP asset under Lighting tab). Also test in Playmode since some settings require multiple frames.

More details about the fog override:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c....high-definition@7.1/manual/Override-Fog.html

Let us know how you like our current implementation, if any issues please provide images.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  4. laurent-h

laurent-h

Also HDRP's volumetric fog doesn't work with Area lights yet.

5. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Right! I did notice that last night.
    I found no issues yet, I was looking for subjective opinions, really. But I will play around with it some more and report back if I have any issues :)

Actually, I already found some neat features unique to this system that I find very appealing. Specifically how it integrates well with sky light. Adding extra lights did hurt performance quite a bit but I might be able to tweak their resolution to something acceptable.

6. elbows

elbows

I've been meaning to ask about this again. It was originally mentioned in a Unity Roadmap talk last year as being something that was coming in 2019.2, but that didnt happen, and rather than then getting an update on the plan, all talk of this fell silent!

Is it still planned?

7. laurent-h

laurent-h

It is still planned but I'm afraid I've got no ETA for it.

elbows likes this.
  8. elbows

elbows

Thanks, happily I wasnt really expecting a proper ETA at this moment so thats good enough for me for now.