Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Native Google Cardboard support timeline

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by NFB_VM, Mar 11, 2016.

1. NFB_VM

NFB_VM

Back on Feb 10, 2016 at the Unity Vision Summit, it was announced that Google Cardboard was going to get native support in Unity.
    http://gamasutra.com/view/news/265660/Google_Cardboard_VR_gets_native_Unity_support.php

I assumed that this meant that devs won't have to use the Cardboard SDK for Unity:
    https://developers.google.com/cardboard/unity/

I currently have to maintain 2 branches to support Google Cardboard along with Oculus devices. I'm hoping this integration will mean that it Unity will handle the differences at compile-time, so that I only have to maintain 1 branch.

What timeline should we expect for this integration?

2. NFB_VM

NFB_VM

So 5.4 Beta is out and still no mention of native Google Cardboard support.

It's nice that SteamVR, Playstation VR, Oculus Rift, and Gear VR have support, but please add native Google Cardboard support.

Retruate likes this.
  3. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

4. Johnny0815

Johnny0815

5. BHVR

BHVR

6. LukasO

LukasO

7. neverbetterthanlate

neverbetterthanlate

8. Gruguir

Gruguir

hey maybe you could just like the post or add something pertinent to the thread?
    Besides, i hope we won't have to wait six months, i don't see the point to announce to soon future implementations without a range of date.

Marble and DavidErosa like this.
  9. tachen

tachen

Google IO?

10. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

+1
    Just submitted my Android Gear VR game to Oculus store, just looking into the Google Cardboard stuff now.

11. NFB_VM

NFB_VM

So with the native Unity integration of Daydream announced for "this summer", are we ever going to get native Cardboard integration?

12. xucian

xucian

13. mechangel

mechangel

I was also wondering if Google is killing cardboard for Daydream, I hope not... it will be a long time before most people have a Daydream capable phone. The amount of people you can reach with Cardboard is much higher.

archonware_jbueza likes this.
  14. TurleyE

TurleyE

I don't get that impression Mechangel, as Daydream is Android only, and they are still updating the Google VR SDK to cover both Daydream and Cardboard.

15. archonware_jbueza

archonware_jbueza

16. Freezy

Freezy

17. Freezy

Freezy

cardboard = daydream, it's just a re-branding with a show of investment on Google's part, so far all we got is new controller support options
    which I think we could already do with unity, but whatever ;-) it's always nice to have options

archonware_jbueza likes this.
  18. archonware_jbueza

archonware_jbueza

Agreed! I think there's a lot of developers that have been having issues with the responsiveness of the Oculus content review team -- This totally reminds me of how the Apple App Store was way back in the day.

More options = better for development community!

19. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hi I'm looking for implementing Gaze function into Unity Slider UI, but since it could not get gazed position, it was not successful. I am using Event Trigger(Point Enter) to get the input.

Any idea for using gaze with Unity Slider??

20. Freezy

Freezy

Glad to know I am not the only one that is having problems, oculus does not seem to care for developers at all.
    They do not even reply to any e-mails and the developer portal looks good but lacks a lot of functionality.
    My advise: avoid Oculus, target android native.

21. PeterWilkinson

PeterWilkinson

Support would be good. Daydream isn't working because of needed controller support and Cardboard is buried deep in its VR (Daydream SDK). Trying Unity's VR option on my 6p only leads to crashes and basically nothing. I have a feeling this is more of an issue with Google than with Unity. Not sure why they're messing with a good thing. This Google VR push is slowing both the old and new development as far as I can see. Hope it changes soon.

22. ScottF

ScottF

Vice President, Platforms

Hi All - we will have a public announcement soon providing timeline of the availability of Cardboard and Daydream native support. Initial public release will be in the form of a 5.4 based technical preview with full integration into the mainline product in 5.5 - but rest assured you will have access before 5.5.

OLGV and TechnicalArtist like this.
  23. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Great news!!!!