Search Unity

Native Gallery for Android & iOS [Open Source]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yasirkula, Feb 28, 2018.

1. yasirkula

yasirkula

Did you change the value of Write Permission in Player Settings, though?

2. Entsking

Entsking

But the image data is in the phone storage. The simple code example that you give in the firsts comments about open the gallery should work well in any case? if it dont, can you give me some insight about what to do? cause i gessed it was to be easy to just open an image from the gallery but i'm stuked on it XD

3. yasirkula

yasirkula

The plugin will only work with the External (SDCard) permission. Don't let the word SDCard confuse you, External allows the plugin to access the files in Gallery.

Entsking likes this.
  4. HnS_Alexa

HnS_Alexa

Screenshot not at all saving while taking build to android phones but it works fine in editor @yasirkula

5. yasirkula

yasirkula

Try using logcat and/or this asset to see if there are any error messages

6. adminsh123

adminsh123

hi, thanks for this plugin
    I want to know how can I open some specific folder with Android Native gallery? i dont want use image as texture i just want my app show all of images in the folder

7. yasirkula

yasirkula

It is not possible, sorry.

8. unity_sSPz4cLF4k7NsQ

unity_sSPz4cLF4k7NsQ

Thank you for the useful plugin!

First of all, sorry for may be stupid question.
    Could you please say how is it possible, for picture that is picked from the gallery, to appear not in the middle of the screen on a random quad, but on a specific place on the screen on Image or rawImage.
    Thank you very much in advance

9. yasirkula

yasirkula

Thanks! In the example code, the line
    Texture2D texture = NativeGallery.LoadImageAtPath( path, maxSize );
    creates a texture from the picked image. If this texture is not null, you can assign it to a RawImage's texture property or to the mainTexture property of an object's Renderer's material.

10. unity_sSPz4cLF4k7NsQ

unity_sSPz4cLF4k7NsQ

Could you please help with the code?

11. yasirkula

yasirkula

Where do you try to assign the texture to?

12. unity_sSPz4cLF4k7NsQ

unity_sSPz4cLF4k7NsQ

Not to the random quad that appears in the middle of the screen, but to already existing image element(UI) that was created by me.

Thank you very much in advance! I am trying to solve this problem already for a very long time.

13. yasirkula

yasirkula

Just create a public
    RawImage rawImage;
    variable and call
    rawImage.texture = texture;
    in your code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public RawImage image;
    3. private void PickImage( int maxSize )
    4. {
    5.     NativeGallery.GetImageFromGallery( ( path ) =>
    6.     {
    7.         Debug.Log( "Image path: " + path );
    8.         if( path != null )
    9.         {
    10.             // Create Texture from selected image
    11.             Texture2D texture = NativeGallery.LoadImageAtPath( path, maxSize );
    12.             if( texture == null )
    13.             {
    14.                 Debug.Log( "Couldn't load texture from " + path );
    15.                 return;
    16.             }
    18.             // Optional: free up the memory consumed by the current Texture
    19.             // assigned to the RawImage
    20.             Destroy( image.texture );
    22.             // Assign the texture to the RawImage
    23.             image.texture = texture;
    24.         }
    25.     }, "Select an image", "image/*", maxSize );
    26. }

14. unity_sSPz4cLF4k7NsQ

unity_sSPz4cLF4k7NsQ

Should I also change something in the RawImages' Inspector?

15. yasirkula

yasirkula

Not at all, you just need to position its RectTransform as you wish.

16. Scientistca

Scientistca

Hey! Awesome plugin, just what I was looking for.

I just wanted to ask one question. Is it possible to call PickImage buy pressing the button(not the 2/3 of the screen)? What should I do for that?

Thank you!

17. yasirkula

yasirkula

Of course, you can make the PickImage function public and add it to the button's On Click event.

18. tal1

tal1

hey! great plugin, but when i use it to get a picture from gallery it's doesn't work. i have checked and pickedImage is null.
    Here's the script:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  public Texture2D pickedImage;
    2.     public GameObject[] images;
    4.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    5.     void Start()
    6.     {
    7.         PickImageFromGallery(1024);
    8.         for (int i = 0; i < 4; i++) {
    9.             images[i].GetComponent<Image>().material.mainTexture = pickedImage;
    10.         }
    11.     }
    13.     public void PickImageFromGallery(int maxSize)
    14.     {
    15.         NativeGallery.GetImageFromGallery((path) =>
    16.         {
    17.             if (path != null)
    18.             {
    19.                 // Create Texture from selected image
    20.                 pickedImage = NativeGallery.LoadImageAtPath(path, maxSize);
    21.             }
    22.         }, maxSize: maxSize);
    23.     }

19. tal1

tal1

and i am using nox app player with android 5

20. yasirkula

yasirkula

NativeGallery.GetImageFromGallery is an asynchronous function, you need to move the for-loop inside the
    if(path!=null)
    condition.

21. psy4lyf

psy4lyf

Hi again. I am trying to do some processing on an image I have selected from the native gallery.

1) When I try to use the openCV function Mat img = Unity.TextureToMat(loadedTextureFromGallery), I receive a notice that the texture is not readable, and that line causes a crash.

2) When I try to read the image from the temporary path, "path", using Cv2.ImRead(path), it does seem read the image, but the image file seems to be empty/no data. Then when I try to do more processing on it, the script crashes:

Mat img1 = Cv2.ImRead(path); (log output)--> Mat [ 0*0*CV_8UC1, IsContinuous=False, IsSubmatrix=False, Ptr=0xffffffff80345300, Data=0x0 ]
    Mat imgGray = new Mat();
    Cv2.CvtColor(img1, imgGray, ColorConversionCodes.BGR2GRAY); --> (log output: OpenCV Error: Assertion failed (scn == 3 || scn == 4) in void cv::cvtColor(cv::InputArray, cv::OutputArray, int, int) ---> crash)

My question is, what is the best way to use the image selected from the gallery, and work with it for processing?

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class TryingOpenCV : MonoBehaviour
    2.     {
    3.         public RawImage display;
    5.         public void ProcessImageClick()
    6.         {
    7.             LoadAndProcessGalleryImage(512);
    8.         }
    10.         public void LoadAndProcessGalleryImage(int maxSize)
    11.         {
    12.             NativeGallery.Permission permission = NativeGallery.GetImageFromGallery((path) =>
    13.             {
    14.                 Debug.Log("Image path: " + path);
    15.                 if (path != null)
    16.                 {
    17.                     // Create Texture from selected image
    18.                     Texture2D unproc2D_Texture = NativeGallery.LoadImageAtPath(path, maxSize);
    20.                     if (unproc2D_Texture == null)
    21.                     {
    22.                         Debug.Log("Couldn't load texture from " + path);
    23.                         return;
    24.                     }
    26.                     display.texture = unproc2D_Texture; //display the texture on the Raw Image in the scene
    28.                     Texture2D contourTex = new Texture2D(unproc2D_Texture.width, unproc2D_Texture.height, TextureFormat.RGB24, false);
    30.                     Debug.Log("TextureType: " + unproc2D_Texture);
    31.                     Debug.Log("Texture Is Readable?: " + unproc2D_Texture.isReadable);
    33.                  //   Mat img = Unity.TextureToMat(unproc2D_Texture); -->causes crash because the texture is not readable
    35.                     //Convert image to grayscale
    37.                     Mat img1 = Cv2.ImRead(path);
    38.                     Debug.Log("after imRead, mat type " + img1);
    40.                     //Convert image to grayscale
    42.                     Mat imgGray = new Mat();
    44.                     Cv2.CvtColor(img1, imgGray, ColorConversionCodes.BGR2GRAY); //causes crash because img1 is empty?
    45.                 }
    46.             }, "Select a PNG image", "image/png", maxSize); //allow selection of the image from gallery
    48.             Debug.Log("Permission result: " + permission);
    49.         }
    50.     }

22. yasirkula

yasirkula

1) Try using
    NativeGallery.LoadImageAtPath(path, maxSize, false);

2) I don't know why this happens, sorry :/

psy4lyf likes this.
  23. psy4lyf

psy4lyf

@yasirkula you're a hero! Your solution to 1) solved everything I needed to to processing of the texture. I should have seen the markTextureNonReadable bool option in LoadImageAtPath. Thanks for covering all the details with this tool.

MyEngineer likes this.
  24. apev

apev

Hi @yasirkula, your plugin seems exactly like what I need, and after reading through this thread I can see you've been on top of support! I'm working on an iOS app, and am trying to move a generated video file from a subfolder within persistentdatapath to the gallery.

After getting your plugin off the Asset store, and using the 'SaveVideoToGallery' method, I get an 'UnauthorizedAccessException' in Xcode saying that access to the existing file path is denied.

I have confirmed I have both read and write access to the device, as well as read/write access to photos. A permissions check with 'CheckPermissions()' returns 'Granted'. I also confirmed both the file and the directory exist, and am using Path.Combine to create the file path from the persistent data path and the file name, so it should be consistent.

The test device I am using has iOS 12. I tried testing while not connected to my build machine, but didn't get any difference in results. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I should try next, and what the issue could be. Should I use the version from your public repo instead of the Asset Store version instead?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

25. yasirkula

yasirkula

Both versions are identical at the moment, so using the Asset Store version is fine.

Does the example code on GitHub work for saving screenshots to Photos? How exactly are you calling SaveVideoToGallery? Can you add Debug.Log's to that function (and the functions it calls) to pinpoint the problematic line (or maybe using a Development build would automatically give that information)?

26. apev

apev

Code (CSharp):
    1.         void MoveVideoToGallery()
    2.         {
    3.             NativeGallery.Permission hasPermission = NativeGallery.CheckPermission();
    4.             if (hasPermission == NativeGallery.Permission.Granted)
    5.             {
    6.                 Debug.Log("Permission granted");
    7.                 //folderLocation is Application.persistentDataPath + "/videos/"
    8.                 if (Directory.Exists(folderLocation))
    9.                 {
    10.                     //save location is Application.persistentDataPath + "/videos/" + "testvideo.mp4"
    11.                     string filename = "testvideo.mp4";
    12.                     if (File.Exists(saveLocation))
    13.                     {
    14.                         NativeGallery.Permission moveToGallery = NativeGallery.SaveVideoToGallery(saveLocation, "Videos", filename);
    15.                         //^^ this is where the access denied error is thrown, so the below debug never gets called
    16.                         Debug.Log("Tried to move to gallery, Permission returned: " + moveToGallery.ToString());
    17.                     }
    18.                     else
    19.                     {
    20.                         Debug.Log("File not found");
    21.                     }
    22.                 }
    23.                 else
    24.                 {
    25.                     Debug.Log("Directory not found");
    26.                 }
    27.             }
    28.             else
    29.             {
    30.                 Debug.Log("Permission not granted");
    31.             }
    32.         }
    Thanks for the quick response! Above is my stripped down code I've been trying to debug with. I gets to the SaveVideoToGallery call and that is when I get the access error. I will try testing the screenshot saving example and report back.

27. apev

apev

The screenshot saving works flawlessly, right out the gate. Makes me think that this may not be an issue related to the use of the plugin. I'm going to look into if the video file I have generated is the problem somehow, perhaps with specific file settings. Thanks for the help though, confirming that the screenshots work was a good call. Paring down what the issue could be is helpful regardless!

28. nikosurfing

nikosurfing

Hi, thank you very much for your info. I swiched from Unity 2018.3.13 to 2018.3.1f1 and it works. You save my time.
    @yasirkula : Still great asset, i've been using it for almost 2 years i forgot Lol. Please add support for latest unity (for callback issue). Thank you

EDIT: Sorry, it was my fault! It works on latest Unity Unity 2018.3.14 26 Apr, 2019. Just update this asset and clean install unity. AWESOME!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    yasirkula likes this.
  29. yasirkula

yasirkula

@apev I'm guessing it is related to this line: https://github.com/yasirkula/UnityN...b/Plugins/NativeGallery/NativeGallery.cs#L331

I haven't encountered UnauthorizedAccessException on this line before, it is simply creating a temporary copy of the file and then getting rid of it once it is saved to Photos.

Are you sure that the video is not currently being processed while you are calling SaveVideoToGallery (some plugins may save the video asynchronously)? Can you put Debug.Log's around the line I mentioned and see what
    File.Exists(existingMediaPath)
    and
    File.Exists(path)
    return?

30. JavierTeckdes

JavierTeckdes

Hi @yasirkula, Thank you very much for your plugin. Is there A way to use it to retrieve other files (Like a gltf 3d model) Im currently using your plugin to retrieve image path and i'td be cool to use the same plugin to get other files.

31. yasirkula

yasirkula

nikosurfing likes this.
  32. JavierTeckdes

JavierTeckdes

Thanks! :D but Im needing something seamless for the user, and for ios & android. Just like whatsapp does

33. yasirkula

yasirkula

Unfortunately I don't have any solutions for this :/

34. alfms0725

alfms0725

Thanks for the good material. And please understand that it is awkward to use a translator. I have a question Do you have a way to get pictures directly from the camera to the album like the attached image?

And when you select an album, can you make the gallery application selection window open only once?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  35. yasirkula

yasirkula

You can use NativeCamera to take pictures using the camera and then save these images to the Gallery via NativeGallery.

In your second question, do you mean removing the popup that prompts the user to select an app to pick the image with? If so, I'm afraid you can't get rid of that popup, at least not without making changes to the Android JAR source code.

36. alfms0725

alfms0725

Thank you. Your answer was helpful. One more thing I have to ask, what parts need to be fixed before the album comes up on the camera. My album does not appear on my screen at this time.

Attached Files:

37. yasirkula

yasirkula

If this screenshot is taken from NativeCamera, then why are you looking for a Gallery icon there? Camera's purpose is to take a photo. Are you looking for a solution where user can pick a photo from either the Gallery or the camera?

38. sergiovgg

sergiovgg

in xcode of IOS have this error :

discovery] errors encountered while discovering extensions: Error Domain=PlugInKit Code=13 "query cancelled" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=query cancelled}

and I use this example code
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  public void PickImage(int maxSize)
    2.     {
    3.         NativeGallery.Permission permission = NativeGallery.GetImageFromGallery((path) =>
    4.         {
    5.             Debug.Log("<color=yellow>Image path:</color> " + path);
    6.             if (path != null)
    7.             {
    8.                 Debug.Log("ingreso " + "------>" + path);
    9.                 // Create Texture from selected image
    10.                 Texture2D texture = NativeGallery.LoadImageAtPath(path, maxSize);
    12.                 if (texture == null)
    13.                 {
    14.                     Debug.Log("Couldn't load texture from " + path);
    15.                     return;
    16.                 }
    18.                 // Assign texture to a temporary quad and destroy it after 5 seconds
    19.                 GameObject quad = GameObject.CreatePrimitive(PrimitiveType.Quad);
    20.                 quad.transform.position = Camera.main.transform.position + Camera.main.transform.forward * 2.5f;
    21.                 quad.transform.forward = Camera.main.transform.forward;
    22.                 quad.transform.localScale = new Vector3(1f, texture.height / (float)texture.width, 1f);
    23.                 quad.AddComponent<MeshCollider>();
    24.                 Material material = image.GetComponent<Image>().material;
    26.                 if (!material.shader.isSupported) // happens when Standard shader is not included in the build
    27.                     material.shader = Shader.Find("Legacy Shaders/Diffuse");
    29.                 material.mainTexture = texture;
    31.                 Destroy(quad, 5f);
    33.                 // If a procedural texture is not destroyed manually,
    34.                 // it will only be freed after a scene change
    35.                 Destroy(texture, 5f);
    36.             }
    37.         }, "Select a PNG image", "image/png", maxSize);
    39.         Debug.Log("Permission result: " + permission);
    40.     }

39. yasirkula

yasirkula

Does the image picker UI not appear at all?

40. sergiovgg

sergiovgg

Yes the UI of iOS , but do not load the image in unity 3d

Attached Files:

41. yasirkula

yasirkula

Maybe it is an SRP issue. Try putting a cube inside your scene so that the shader of the default material also gets distributed with the game.

42. sergiovgg

sergiovgg

ok.... but, no load the texture of the imagen of galley selected

43. yasirkula

yasirkula

Even after adding a cube to the scene? How about testing on a new project using legacy render pipeline (i.e. not using HDRP or LWRP); does it work then?

44. Amorino

Amorino

Hello, first of all, awesome plugin, thanks.

Second, one question: Is it possible to list both videos and images? Right now you have GetImageFromGallery and GetVideoFromGallery, is it possible to have a GetImageOrVideoFromGallery?

45. yasirkula

yasirkula

Unfortunately not, sorry.

46. montaal1996

montaal1996

Hey, I'm trying to save a video into the iOS Gallery, but it is not being saved, it creates the folder but there is nothing in it. I know the file is on the folder where I'm thinking because it is being played by the same app from the same path. Has anyone else had the same issue? It is working perfectly on Android though

47. yasirkula

yasirkula

Does saving an image work, e.g. when using the example code?

48. fuzzl

fuzzl

First of all i have to thank you for your awesome work, it already helped me so much. Thanks!

But i have a question for iOS .. is it possible that it doesnt save the images all over again ? I made a button to save pictures to gallery but how can i make sure that these pictures aren't already in this gallery ? Is there a way to do this?

yasirkula likes this.
  49. yasirkula

yasirkula

It is not possible :/

50. fuzzl

fuzzl

oh my gosh... still a nice plugin. but i have the problem that the apple review team want me to make my image markers (augmented app) accessable without download.. i thought i could solve it like this but now i have no clue again ^^