Search Unity

Native Emoji

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by ypatelzynga, Sep 17, 2018.

1. ypatelzynga

ypatelzynga

hi, I have watched handful of your youtube video about TMP. I am using Unity 2018 version which support TMP. i am working on chat system which require native emoji support. I am wondering if you could show me how to include native emoji in TMP would be very helpful. It seems like i need to search through input string and replace native emoji unicode with <sprite> to be displayed in chat window or is there better way? If some one has a code to support emoji please share

makaka-org likes this.
  2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

See my reply to your other post about this.

In short, you can assign Unicode values to the sprites in the Sprite Assets and as such as these Unicode values are typed on a device / keyboard, the appropriate sprite / emoji will be displayed without having to use the <sprite> tag.

BTW: Sprite assets are now part of the fallback system so when a Font Asset doesn't include a certain character, TMP will search the following resources in the following order.

1) Primary Font Asset.
    2) Recursively through the fallback font assets assign to the primary.
    3) The Sprite Asset assigned to the text object and any fallback sprite asset potentially assigned to it
    4) The general fallback font assets assigned in the TMP Settings.
    5) The sprite asset and its potential fallbacks assigned in the TMP Settings
    6) The default font asset
    7) Missing character.

3. jayatubi

jayatubi

Did you mean that user needs to create their own sprite asset and map the unicode the sprite enties manually?

How about if the TMP could directly render the glyph from an emoji ttf file such as https://www.google.com/get/noto/#emoji-zsye-color ?

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The ability to raster and extract colored glyphs from font files is one of the features that will be added to the dynamic system.

5. jayatubi

jayatubi

Does this dependent on new version of Unity engine?

6. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

It does require changes to the FontEngine which is part of the Unity Engine.

Most likely these features will be in 2019.x but I will try to get approval to make them available in 2018.4.

7. Thaina

Thaina

8. Thaina

Thaina

Did it solved now? Is this covered in dynamic sdf feature?

firstuser likes this.
  9. Rafael_CS

Rafael_CS

firstuser likes this.
  10. Thaina

Thaina

11. frkssk

frkssk

Any news about it @Stephan_B ? (especially in 2018.4)