Search Unity

Native Debugging the Editor - Getting Mono Stacks

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by mlohstroh-playful, Feb 28, 2018.

1. mlohstroh-playful

mlohstroh-playful

Hello,

My team and I are dealing with an insane amount of Unity hangs and crashes. I'm trying to investigating them to get us to a more stable position, assuming that it isn't Unity's fault.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/WindowsDebugging.html

I am following the instructions on the above page, but, instead of using it for the player, I'm attaching to the editor and pausing the program execution. Since this is native debugging, I see the managed addresses in the callstack, but I can't see the actual name of the functions that it's calling. I have all of the symbols loaded from the Unity symserver and the symbols from the Unity installation directory as well.

I am trying to use the instruction mono_pmip to extract the function name just like it says on that previous page, but every time I do that, I get this error.

?mono-2.0-bdwgc.dll!mono_pmip((void*)0x135303b8)
    identifier "mono" is undefined

I am able to extract the names in a player build, but not the editor. Is there something preventing me from getting what I need? All I'm trying to do is figure out if the managed code that the editor is stuck on is ours so I can know where to start looking next.

2. sebas77

sebas77

I am having the same troubles. using quotes may help "mono-2.0-bdwgc".dll!mono_pmip

but I am getting anyway a problem in VS like:

expected a class, struct, or union type

3. rskorski-wizards

rskorski-wizards

Visual Studio's immediate window can't parse the string because there are dashes and dots in it, I think it's trying to parse it as a debugger command.

The hint that got me there was that windbg lists the DLL with those symobls replaced with underscores. I suspected that windbg was wise on the special characters, and got rid of them for me. And if you put other characters before the first dash (ex: "monodoodoo"), then the error changes.

Visual Studio's debugger has a special operator called the Context Operator (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/debugger/context-operator-cpp?view=vs-2019)

? {,,mono-2.0-bdwgc.dll}mono_pmip((void*)0x12345678)

Using that operator, I am able to call the mono_pmip function again.

sebas77 likes this.
  4. sebas77

sebas77