Search Unity

Native Camera for Android & iOS [Open Source]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yasirkula, May 2, 2018.

1. LS0

LS0

Yeah it worked fine with a fresh project.
    Fixed now, the issue was that I'd set MY_UNIQUE_AUTHORITY in the manifest to my bundle identifier as suggested in your installation instructions, but also done the same when installing your ShareContentProvider previously, so they weren't unique. just added a few extra chars on the android:authorities tag and it works a dream, thanks!

yasirkula likes this.
  2. yasirkula

yasirkula

@hitarthdoc1994 By soft close, do you mean it restarts itself after closing the camera? I encounter this issue only on devices with low memory. OS automatically closes background activities if there is not enough memory for the foreground activity.

Saying photo = null; won't GC the photo, its C++ data will remain there. But that data should indeed vanish after a Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets call, so I'm not about the root of the issue. You can try using a memory profiler to see the memory usage of the app, though. See if it gets a soft close after a memory spike.

3. HeWhoRunsWithScissors

HeWhoRunsWithScissors

Hey man, thank you for this plugin. Your work is amazing and much appreciated.

yasirkula likes this.
  4. hitarthdoc1994

hitarthdoc1994

@yasirkula
    Yes. That happened with us even on high memory devices and with a few apps running in the background.

I am also destroying the loaded texture before unloading unused Resources.

There are no memory spikes in the editor while using only
    NativeCamera.LoadImageAtPath()
    to test.

Thanks for clearing the use case for the soft closing of the application. Please be kind enough to post any methods to prevent any such OS exits if there are or might come in your knowledge in the future.

5. yasirkula

yasirkula

Can you also use Android Studio's profiler to see if it is a memory issue? I don't know any other causes for a soft close, to be honest.

6. psy4lyf

psy4lyf

Hello @yasirkula . Thank you so much for you Native Camera and Native Gallery plugins. I have implemented them in our phone apps for Android and iOS, and they make something that is pretty comprehensive, seem much easier.

I would like to take a picture with some guidelines - think square box for mobile check deposit. Is there a way to overlay a raw image on the Native phone camera, the way banking apps do it? I a scene I have, I have the camera view displayed on a raw image, but once I access the Native phone camera with a button, it leaves the scene to go to the native camera, and the overlay/guidelines disappear. I'd like to keep the guidelines there when taking the photo, but save the photo without guidelines (why a screenshot won't work). Can this be done?

Attached Files:

7. yasirkula

yasirkula

Unfortunately not. NativeCamera doesn't support any overlays. The image is captured via the native camera app and thus, the plugin's functionality is limited by the native camera app's functionality.

8. psy4lyf

psy4lyf

Shoot! Alright, thanks for your quick response. Again, great work with the plugins!

yasirkula likes this.
  9. edgars_unity

edgars_unity

Does this plugin using native camera embed images with metadata such as Exif? I need to be able to geo tag images so hoping by connecting to native camera I can do it

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  10. yasirkula

yasirkula

The image comes from the camera. On Android, at least, if geo tagging is enabled in the camera app's settings, then the images should have such exif metadata.

edgars_unity likes this.
  11. edgars_unity

edgars_unity

Ok worked flawlessly. Question is there a way for me to constantly take images once the default camera opens. I.e every second take picture? Can I access any camera params? Mainly interested in some way to access the device button to take the image I could then control frequency through the button then...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  12. yasirkula

yasirkula

I don't think it is possible. If there is burst image functionality in your camera app, you may try taking pictures in a burst to see how it goes but I don't think you'll be able to achieve the desired result.

13. adre

adre

Hello @yasirkula,
    is it possible to record a video specifying that must record in 1920x1080 25fps?

Resolution and FPS must always be these to append video to other videos in FFMPEG.

14. yasirkula

yasirkula

Unfortunately not. NativeCamera just sends a quality level (Low, Medium, High) to the camera application and the rest is handled by the native camera app. I don't think older devices can record videos in 1080p anyways.

15. AdrianoAlemanno

AdrianoAlemanno

Hello there,
    i'm sorry but i'm back again to ask for your help.
    Trying to build my project for iOS and in xcode i'm having this issue:

bitcode bundle could not be generated because 'project_folder/Libraries/Plugins/iOS/libNativeToolkit.a(Camera.o)' was built without full bitcode. All object files and libraries for bitcode must be generated from Xcode Archive or Install build file 'project_folder/Libraries/Plugins/iOS/libNativeToolkit.a' for architecture arm64

Could it be something related to you plugin?
    Thanks a lot for your work and your support

16. yasirkula

yasirkula

First time seeing this. What happens when you remove NativeCamera from your project and build again?

17. AdrianoAlemanno

AdrianoAlemanno

Sorry, after lots of investigations about the problem i found that it is related to another plugin ("libnativetoolkit.a" and "camera.o" were not the right keywords to look for the error).
    i want to thank you again for your awesome plugins that "just" work fine!

yasirkula likes this.
  18. abeldantas

abeldantas

On Unity 2018.3.13f1 on an android Xiaomi device I followed all the steps and no matter what I get 'Permission result: Denied'.

Manifest in staging looks good.
    Opened settings and gave permission for camera.
    Not sure if it is the device or what.

19. yasirkula

yasirkula

How about other devices or emulators?

20. Farhan-Aqeel

Farhan-Aqeel

Hi YasirKula, I am currently using both of your assets. it is indeed one of the best thing i've found on assetstore.
    i am getting a similar error

"Can't find ContentProvider, camera is inaccessible"

This is my AndroidManifest from the plugins/android folder. Searched on gthub and other forums but unable to find the issue.

Code (CSharp):
    1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    2. <manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
    3. package="com.unity3d.player">
    5.      <application
    6.     android:icon="@drawable/app_icon"
    7.     android:label="@string/app_name">
    8.         <activity android:name="com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerNativeActivity"
    9.                   android:configChanges="fontScale|keyboard|keyboardHidden|locale|mnc|mcc|navigation|orientation|screenLayout|screenSize|smallestScreenSize|uiMode|touchscreen">
    10.             <intent-filter>
    11.                 <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
    12.                 <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
    13.             </intent-filter>
    14.             <meta-data android:name="android.app.lib_name" android:value="unity" />
    15.             <meta-data android:name="unityplayer.ForwardNativeEventsToDalvik" android:value="true" />
    16.         </activity>
    17.   </application>
    20.   <provider
    21.   android:name="com.yasirkula.unity.NativeCameraContentProvider"
    22.   android:authorities="geekscreative"
    23.   android:exported="false"
    24.   android:grantUriPermissions="true" />
    26.   <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERA" />
    27.     <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.camera" />
    29.     <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
    30.     <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />
    32.     <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.FLASHLIGHT"/>
    35. </manifest>

21. yasirkula

yasirkula

You need to put the provider inside the
    <application>...</application>
    tags. Other than that, your manifest looks fine.

22. pedro_eloideias

pedro_eloideias

Hello man, your plugins are something else, let me tell you that, I just found about this one, I'm having a little trouble with it. It's working fine, the problem is, whenever I take a picture, I save the path of this image, so that later, I'll send it to my server, but the problem is that, when the second photo is taken, it will have the save path as the first image, and then it'll send the same image (the second one). There's a way that I can change the path, each time a photo is taken ?

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  23. yasirkula

yasirkula

Yes, each photo is saved to the same temporary location. If you want, you can move a photo to another location like Application.persistentDataPath with a unique name so that it won't get overwritten. For example:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public static string MoveFile( string path )
    2. {
    3.     string saveDir = Application.persistentDataPath;
    4.     string filenameFormatted = "Photo {0}" + Path.GetExtension( path );
    6.     int fileIndex = 0;
    7.     string newPath;
    8.     do
    9.     {
    10.         newPath = Path.Combine( saveDir, string.Format( filenameFormatted, ++fileIndex ) );
    11.     } while( File.Exists( newPath ) );
    13.     File.Move( path, newPath );
    14.     return newPath;
    15. }

24. BradleyHean1

BradleyHean1

Really appreciate this plugin. I also use your NativeGallery plugin and both work flawlessly! I tried other plugins before yours and they all failed silently without any debugs being printed, super annoying. yours worked first time and everytime.

yasirkula likes this.
  25. ardevelop

ardevelop

Hello!
    I cannot get Exif data from photo picked from Ios Camera. Plugin do not save it. Can you help me, which settings, or strokes of codes edit, to make that?
    Thanks!

26. yasirkula

yasirkula

Which Exif data is missing? How are you trying to read that data?

27. ardevelop

ardevelop

All Exif data missing on ios. I am trying do 2 things:
    1. Copy picked photo to Application.persistentDataPath folder an then upload to drive. But when opening in drive photo does not contains any info(only width_height)
    2. Just reading exif data with lib ExifLib(link below), than prints correct data on android, but not prints on ios(maybe no data)
    https://github.com/dxball/TestUnityExif

Also, you can use online service to view exif data:
    http://metapicz.com/#landing

There is my simple function:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void TakePicture()
    2.     {
    3.         int maxSize = 0;
    4. #if !UNITY_EDITOR && UNITY_ANDROID
    5.         maxSize = UserSettings.MaxPhotoSize;
    6. #elif !UNITY_EDITOR && UNITY_IOS
    7.         maxSize = -1;
    8. #endif
    9.         Debug.Log("TakePicture(" + maxSize + ")");
    10.         if (NativeCamera.IsCameraBusy())
    11.         {
    12.             Debug.Log("Camera is Busy");
    13.             return;
    14.         }
    17.         NativeCamera.Permission permission = NativeCamera.TakePicture((path) =>
    18.         {
    20.             Debug.Log("Image from camera path : " + path);
    21.             if (path != null)
    22.             {
    23.                 // Create a Texture2D from the captured image
    24.                 Texture2D texture = NativeCamera.LoadImageAtPath(path, maxSize, false);
    25.                 if (texture == null)
    26.                 {
    27.                     Debug.Log("Couldn't load texture from " + path);
    28.                     return;
    29.                 }
    32.                 Debug.LogWarning("---------------------------------------");
    33.                 ExifLib.JpegInfo jpi = ExifLib.ExifReader.ReadJpeg(File.ReadAllBytes(path), "Foo");
    35.                 Debug.Log("loaded texture from path - " + path);
    36.                 Debug.Log("jpi.datetime - " + jpi.DateTime);
    39.                 string imageName = GalleryCongigurations.AppImageBaseName + camPhotoCounter + ".jpg";
    40.                 File.Copy(path, Application.persistentDataPath + "/" + GalleryCongigurations.AppAlbumName + "/" + imageName); //Без AlbumName выдает ошибку доступа
    42.                 Debug.LogWarning("---------------------------------------");
    43.                 string fullPath = Application.persistentDataPath + "/" + GalleryCongigurations.AppAlbumName + "/" + imageName;
    44.                 string virtualName = dataController.addPhotoToSession(fullPath);
    45.                 scrollViewController.addImage(fullPath, virtualName, false);
    48.                 PlayerPrefs.SetInt("CAM_PHOTO_COUNTER", ++camPhotoCounter);
    49.             }
    50.         }, maxSize);
    52.         Debug.Log("Permission result: " + permission);
    53.     }

28. yasirkula

yasirkula

Seems like the image needs to be saved as JPEG and the code needs to be tweaked a little to preserve the EXIF data. I can't do it myself at the moment but you can check out this solution and apply it here.

29. nonethree

nonethree

Hello Yasir. I have a problem with NativeCamera and NativeGallery, it appears only on iOS. After I take a photo or select it from the gallery, I upload a photo to the server using File.ReadAllBytes(path) and UnityWebRequest, for the first time sent file is corrupted, but all subsequent ones are fine. The strangest thing is that when loaded into a texture photo is displayed normally, the problem is only with loading to server

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  30. yasirkula

yasirkula

Can I see your code?

31. nonethree

nonethree

Of course, here is taking photo
    Code (CSharp):
    2. public event Action<bool, Texture2D, string> OnCompleted;
    4. public void GetTextureFromCamera()
    5. {
    6.       if(NativeCamera.CheckPermission() == NativeCamera.Permission.Granted)
    7.       {
    8.            NativeCamera.TakePicture(TakePictureCallback);
    9.       }
    10.       else if (NativeCamera.CheckPermission() == NativeCamera.Permission.ShouldAsk &&
    11.               NativeCamera.RequestPermission() == NativeCamera.Permission.Granted)
    12.       {
    13.            NativeCamera.TakePicture(TakePictureCallback);
    14.       }
    15. }
    16. private void TakePictureCallback(string path)
    17. {
    18.     if (path == null)
    19.     {
    20.         OnCompleted?.Invoke(false, null, string.Empty);
    21.     }
    22.     else
    23.     {
    24.         var texture = NativeCamera.LoadImageAtPath(path, 2048, false);
    25.         texture.name = StringsHelper.GetFileName(path);
    26.         OnCompleted?.Invoke(true, texture, path);
    27.      }
    28. }
    and then upload to server
    Code (CSharp):
    2. public void UploadPhoto(string path, NetworkRequestCallback callback)
    3. {
    4.     string contentType = NativeCamera.GetImageProperties(path).mimeType;
    5.     coroutineService.StartCoroutine(UploadPhotoCoroutine(File.ReadAllBytes(path), contentType, callback));
    6. }
    8. private IEnumerator UploadPhotoCoroutine(byte[] bytes, string contentType, NetworkRequestCallback callback)
    9. {
    10.      var requestUrl = string.Concat(URL, ACCOUNT_PATH, UPLOAD_PHOTO);
    11.      string photoName = Guid.NewGuid() + "." + contentType.Substring(contentType.IndexOf('/') + 1, contentType.Length - contentType.IndexOf('/') - 1);
    12.      var data = new List<IMultipartFormSection>
    13.      {
    14.          new MultipartFormFileSection("file", bytes, photoName, contentType)
    15.      };
    16.      RestRequest request = new RestRequest(UnityWebRequest.Post(requestUrl, data));
    17.      request.AddHeader("Authorization", string.Concat(BEARER, saveDataService.Authorization.Token));
    18.      yield return SendRequest(request);
    19.      request.Result(r => DefaultResponseHandler(r, callback));
    20. }

32. yasirkula

yasirkula

Thank you for posting your code. I haven't used RestRequest but can you maybe try using other solutions for uploading your photo to the server to see if it is an issue with RestRequest? Or, you can try writing the texture.EncodeToPNG bytes to a temporary file and then uploading that temporary file to the server instead of the original file to see if the issue is related to the image file. You may also check UnityWebRequest's error property to see if there was an error.

33. nonethree

nonethree

I've tried many ways before, and now without RestRequest and using EncodeToPNG, result is absolutely the same. First is corrupted, others are fine.
    Code (CSharp):
    2. public void UploadPhoto(Texture2D texture, NetworkRequestCallback callback)
    3. {          
    4.     coroutineService.StartCoroutine(UploadPhotoCoroutine(texture.EncodeToPNG(), "image/png", callback));
    5. }
    7. private IEnumerator UploadPhotoCoroutine(byte[] bytes, string contentType, NetworkRequestCallback callback)
    8. {
    9.     var requestUrl = string.Concat(URL, ACCOUNT_PATH, UPLOAD_PHOTO);
    10.     string photoName = Guid.NewGuid() + "." + contentType.Substring(contentType.IndexOf('/') + 1, contentType.Length - contentType.IndexOf('/') - 1);
    11.      var data = new List<IMultipartFormSection>
    12.     {
    13.         new MultipartFormFileSection("file", bytes, photoName, contentType)
    14.     };
    15.     UnityWebRequest request = UnityWebRequest.Post(requestUrl, data);
    16.     request.SetRequestHeader("Authorization",
    17.                 string.Concat(BEARER, saveDataService.Authorization.Token));
    18.     yield return request.SendWebRequest();
    19.     callback.Invoke(!request.isNetworkError, request.error);
    20. }

34. yasirkula

yasirkula

In this case, I don't think it is related to NativeCamera as the function fails with EncodeToPNG, as well. You may give EncodeToJPEG a try to see if it related to PNG images, otherwise you may wanna inspect the server's code.

P.S. What happens when you try to upload an existing image file (independent from NativeCamera) to the server?

35. nonethree

nonethree

With independent image all is fine. EncodeToJPEG produce corrupted image too.

36. yasirkula

yasirkula

What if you wait for 1-2 seconds before uploading the image to the server? You can use coroutines for that. Though, if that works, it will be a weird workaround.

37. nonethree

nonethree

It not works too.

38. yasirkula

yasirkula

I don't know how to resolve this issue, sorry. It shouldn't be related to NativeCamera because EncodeToPNG works independently from NativeCamera.

39. yomanx

yomanx

Thanks for the great plugin yasirkula.

Can i know, is it real to add shaders over the live image from camera?

40. yasirkula

yasirkula

Adding overlay to the camera feed is unfortunately not possible.

41. HeladioMoralesDorantes

HeladioMoralesDorantes

Implemented and runs like a charm just one question after the camera opens there is no way to "auto take" the pic?

Thanks!

42. yasirkula

yasirkula

NativeCamera launches the native camera app with some parameters like quality and then leaves the rest to the camera application itself. So, if the native camera application doesn't have auto take functionality, then there is not much I can do.

43. Seve2

Seve2

Hi I am pretty new to unity c#, how do I use any of your app to create a user profile picture on a mobile app game in Unity. I want the player to be able to upload its picture profile from the phones gallery or from taking a photo with a camera

44. yasirkula

yasirkula

Create two buttons: "Camera" and "Gallery". If user clicks Camera, use this NativeCamera plugin to capture a photo (example code). If user clicks Gallery, use my NativeGallery plugin to pick an image from the Gallery (example code).

45. Seve2

Seve2

Thanks for your prompt reply, do I need to add a script from the nativeGallery plugin to the gallery button, I already successfully imported the NativeGallery plugin and also created the button. I am confused on what to do next. Sorry for noob question, I am just getting a hang of unity

46. Seve2

Seve2

I also searched for the nativegallery script and tried to add it to the gallery button, it gives the following error "can't add script behaviour Native Gallery. The script class cant be abstract!"

47. yasirkula

yasirkula

You don't need to add NativeGallery or NativeCamera to any objects. You need to call them from your own script(s).

So, you should create your own script, create two
    public void
    functions in it (one for Gallery button and one for Camera button) and then add this script to an object in your scene. Then, add the Gallery function to Gallery button's
    On Click
    event from the Inspector. Likewise, add the Camera function to Camera button's
    On Click
    event.

Finally, fill the Gallery and Camera functions of your script. At this step, I believe the example codes I've posted in my previous post should provide enough info on how to call the NativeGallery and NativeCamera functions to get an image.

48. NGC6543

NGC6543

Hi @yasirkula , thanks for sharing your great work!

I'm looking for a WebcamTexture alternative for Android, and found your plugin. It looks promising, but I want to ask some of my requirement before diving into it.

1. Does your plugin supports external usb cameras on Android?
    2. If it does, can I select a camera with a name or index?
    3. I need a live stream feed from a camera, and manipulate it with image processing. I don't need to record and save the video into the disk. Is this possible? Or should I tweak your codes?

Even if it doesn't suit my needs, this plugin is really great example. Thanks again for sharing it.

49. yasirkula

yasirkula

Thanks! Unfortunately, this plugin wouldn't be useful in your use-case. It just launches the native camera app and waits for it to capture a photo or record a video. So, no live stream feed or camera selection option.

50. NGC6543

NGC6543

Oh, I see. Maybe I'll have to build my own plugin then. Thanks for the quick reply!

yasirkula likes this.