Search Unity

NatCorder - Video Recording API

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Lanre, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Lanre

Lanre

Looks like you're using NatReader, which is pre-release. You can upgrade to the latest commit by removing the `com.natsuite.natreader` entry in your `Packages/package-lock.json` file. This isn't a NatCorder bug.

2. unity_7C47156A3A64B20452E4

unity_7C47156A3A64B20452E4

I have send PM. Thanks

Lanre likes this.
  3. Halfspacer

Halfspacer

Getting this same error despite having "Prepare iOS for Recording" enabled. Any idea what might be causing it?

4. Lanre

Lanre

Can you share the full logs from Xcode in a .txt attachment?

5. Halfspacer

Halfspacer

So we tracked the above down to a native plugin that created a sharedInstance of AVAudioSession. Apparently this somehow conflicted with the NATDevice recording (?). Removing the other plugin solved the issue.

6. Lanre

Lanre

That's probably not the explanation. The `sharedInstance` is just that--it's a singleton shared across the entire app, no matter where you create or get it from. And creating a new `AVAudioSession` will actually just return the shared instance.

7. Halfspacer

Halfspacer

I don't think it was the shared instance itself that was the issue, but what they were accessed for. More likely an issue with the other plugin than anything to do with yours.

8. Lanre

Lanre

I see, yeah that's plausible. Let me know I can help.

9. markkatona

markkatona

Hi Lanre,
    What could be the issue if I get squished videos with the CameraInput set to Camera.main?
    It looks like the recorder records the whole screen and then squishes the image.

Thanks in advance, Mark

10. Lanre

Lanre

The only known scenario is when recording with augmented reality (ARFoundation, Vuforia, and so on). AR packages have to modify how the game cameras are rendered, so if you try to record them with a different aspect ratio, you will get squishing.

11. markkatona

markkatona

I am using AR Foundation, so that must be the issue then.
    Is there any workaround for this or do I have to go with a resolution that is always based on the screen resolution so I have the same aspect ratio always as the device?

12. Lanre

Lanre

You'll have to record at a resolution that has the same aspect ratio as the screen.

13. crani

crani

Hi I tryed out the CropTextureInput and WatermarkTextureInput
    Is it possible to use both at the same time together I could not figure that out are there some examples anywere?
    For CropTextureInput I always get a black video some how is that one working?

14. lustgunther

lustgunther

Hey,
    when I build for Standalone MacOS on Architecture Intel 64-bit + Apple silicon with Unity 2020.3.16f and NatCorder 1.8.1 I get a "DllNotFoundException NatCorder". For Architecture Intel 64-bit it works like a charm without any Exceptions.

15. lustgunther

lustgunther

I already deleted the whole package an reimported it.

16. Lanre

Lanre

The watermark and crop texture inputs in NCPX are still WIP. They aren't ready for use yet. The API has not been finalized. Once it is, there will be a way to use both simultaneously.

17. Lanre

Lanre

Hm I'll check this out. NatCorder is built with both Intel and arm64 slices.

18. nnhhaadd

nnhhaadd

It seems like I am experiencing some kind of memory leak on iOS. This happens when I enable audio input with video input at the same time. Here is the memory consumption of the ReplayCam scene with record microphone enabled. Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 12.02.50.png This test project was built with Unity 2020.3.17f and Natcorder version 1.8.1

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi.
    I have been experiencing a small color difference with NatCorder (1.8.1) on android. (tested on a Galaxy S8, Android 9, iOS works perfect) The colors recorded do not seem to be a 1:1 match with what is shown on screen. Most notable with the lighter colors. Yellow becomes more orange and orange becomes more reddish. I have tried both gamma and linear space with the same result. I have tried to blit the color using a shader from linear to gamma, without the desired result.
    Am I doing something wrong? Is there any way to solve this?
    I have added an example what makes the problem a bit clearer. (I hope)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2021
  20. Lanre

Lanre

Hey there, I've been able to reproduce this. I'll work on adding a fix. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

21. Lanre

Lanre

Hey Martin, I'm not entirely sure what could be causing this. First off, NatCorder doesn't (officially) support linear color, so you'll want to stick to gamma. This could be an issue with the encoder, specifically the color transfer function used in converting RGBA32 to YUV for encoding. Can you try verifying this on a different Android device to see if it's device-specific?

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

I can confirm the same happens on a Pixel 4 and galaxy s21. They all return the same color difference as the previous example.

23. nnhhaadd

nnhhaadd

That’s great. So do you have an estimate of when the fix would be out? And in the meantime, do you have any quick fixes or suggestions that I can try out?

24. Lanre

Lanre

I'll send you a DM on this.

25. Lanre

Lanre

No ETA for the fix, but I'll look into this weekend. I don't know of a workaround because I'm not sure where the leak is coming from.

26. xharkx

xharkx

iPhone 13 pro max and iPhone 13 pro can not get preview image.
    get corruption image,but can CapturePhoto no problem.

Attached Files:

27. RD3_Elizeu

RD3_Elizeu

Is there any update about supporting HDR?

28. xharkx

xharkx

problem solve.

Lanre likes this.
  29. Lanre

Lanre

I'm working to get an iPhone 13 right now. I'll get back to you on this immediately I get the device. I apologize for the delay.

30. Lanre

Lanre

What was the issue?

31. Lanre

Lanre

It is possible to record HDR cameras, but it requires extra setup
    1. Modify `CameraInput` and in the constructor, change the format of the `frameDescriptor` to `RenderTextureFormat.ARGBFloat`.
    2. Add a tonemapper to your game camera.
    If you can send me a repro project, I can look into adding automatic support to NatCorder so you don't need to perform extra steps.

32. Ivegotalotofquestions

Ivegotalotofquestions

Hi Lanre,

I am using the MP4recorder to record an AR scene with cameraInput. I have some questions regarding the video size:

1. Is the bitrate a reference only? I tried to set the bitrate to 3_600_000 and take a few videos. The bitrates of the three videos are 3397kbps, 3746kbps, and 4316kbps. Does that mean that the bitrate would change according to the video content? If yes, is there a maximum bitrate for 3_600_000?

2. I have a limit on file transfer, so I would like to keep the video file size under 30MB. I am not sure what would be the best way to do it. Do you have any suggestions?
    Is it possible to turn down the video quality after the video is created? Or would it be possible to write the video file with settings different than the declared value?

Thank you for reading the questions. Hope you have a nice weekend :))

33. Lanre

Lanre

Hey there, NatCorder uses variable bitrate across the MP4 and HEVC recorders. So yes, the effective bitrate of the video depends on the visual complexity of what you are recording. NatCorder doesn't support constant bitrate recording.
    Hm this is a tough one. It's practically impossible to create a hard upper bound. What you can do is configure recording so that it's unlikely that the video will ever go beyond that size. For this, the most effective control is the recording resolution and duration. Other configurations like the bitrate and keyframe interval have less of an effect.
    Not at all; NatCorder has no video editing or transcoding functionality. It is strictly a video recorder, so its work is done once you've finished recording a video.

34. tom-teleportal

tom-teleportal

We are encountering a native crash on Android when committing audio samples from a fixed-length array on another thread. This code works fine on every other platform (including iOS). The native crash indicates JNI throwing BufferOverflowException.

If we loop over each video frame, committing a subset of the audio samples on each iteration, Natcorder works fine.

See this <standalone repro script> that will crash on Android 11.

35. Lanre

Lanre

On Android the codec provides fixed-size buffers that clients (e.g. NatCorder) then fill with data and send back for encoding. Because of this, you can't commit an entire waveform in one call to `CommitSamples`. Instead, you have to chop it up and commit.

The default size of the buffer that the encoder provides is typically small (4096 or 8192 bytes, can't remember). NatCorder bumps this up to 16384 bytes. So in C#, the max size of a sample buffer you can commit is 8192 samples (16384 bytes divided by two bytes-per-short).

36. Lanre

Lanre

Hey there, just wanted to follow up on this. The memory leak seems to be something that's pretty hard to find. There's no explicit leak in NatCorder's own encoding code. It'll take longer to get this fixed, but I'm working on it.

37. tom-teleportal

tom-teleportal

Understood, thank you!

Lanre likes this.
  38. crani

crani

Hi I want to use the "MTLTextureInput" for iOS but the class is private, I can use the GLESTextureInput fine so.
    How is that intended to be used why is the class not public like GLESTextureInput?
    I am using the latest versions of both.

39. Lanre

Lanre

The MTLTextureInput will be removed entirely soon. Unity already supports async GPU readbacks on Metal, so you can use the AsyncTextureInput instead.

40. crani

crani

Thank you!

Lanre likes this.
  41. Ser_Tahu

Ser_Tahu

Hi, firstly thanks for the solid asset - for the most part it's been working brilliantly for me!

However, I've been encountering an issue with audio when recording in 1080p. Occasionally the output video will have a noticeable audio stutter for seconds, or sometimes minutes, at a time. There doesn't seem to be any consistency with the timing of the stutter (i.e. it doesn't coincide with anything in particular in my project, it just happens at random times in the recording). It only seems to be happening when I recording 1080p videos - 720p videos seem to be unaffected. Do you know what might be causing it?

Technical details:
    I'm using the MP4Recorder, with bitrate values set to those recommended by Youtube, along with the CameraInput script for video (capturing from multiple cameras), and the AudioInput script for audio (using an AudioListener)

NatCorder version: 1.8.1
    Unity version: 2020.3.16f1

Issue experienced both in-editor, and in a windows standalone build.

42. MassiveTchnologies

MassiveTchnologies

Can we use Unity's new AudioRenderer API with Natcorder? I'm struggling to figure out how to commit the native buffer audio array generated from Unity's AudioRenderer (it's being filled correctly). CommitSamples states that the buffer should be linear PCM, how would that work when using the AudioRenderer?

43. Lanre

Lanre

I haven't heard any reports of this before. An issue like this might be coming from MediaFoundation (Windows' native media API), though it's very hard to tell. You can probably isolate it by making the MP4Recorder record only video (set sample rate+channel count to zero) then creating a WAVRecorder to actually receive samples from the AudioInput. You'll get two separate recording files, one for video (the MP4) and the other for audio (WAV). Let me know if the stuttering still occurs in the WAV.

44. Lanre

Lanre

Probably. Unity uses linear PCM, so you should be good. To actually commit the native array, you can either call ToArray and pass that to `CommitSamples` or get the raw pointer and call the `CommitSamples` overload that accepts a pointer. The latter option doesn't allocate memory, so it's better.

45. pistoleta

pistoleta

Hi there!
    We are launching our game soon, it's a city builder for iOS and we are going to send it to some beta testers. In order to be able to reproduce the upcoming bugs that they might find I thought it would be interesting to be able to replay their gameplay.
    Considering I'm just interested into what they did to cause a crash/exception I would be recording in a very low resolution but im not sure if the asset is ready for this.
    Also, if I want the player to send it to some server... should we implement that I guess? I was thinking on record all the time maybe 1 or 2 min clips and if nothing happens I would be deleting the oldest clip so I always have the last 1 or 2 minutes recorded of gameplay. Maybe even less.
    Is there any sort of demo we can test? do you use any encoding for the videos?
    Do you think its a good use case to test your asset?
    Thanks!

46. Lanre

Lanre

Looks like we've resolved this on Discord. TL;DR it's possible to use NatCorder for QA.

47. Ser_Tahu

Ser_Tahu

Thanks for the speedy reply! I can confirm that the WAVRecorder doesn't seem to be having any stuttering issues. Interestingly, I had the MP4Recorder (with audio) and WAVRecorder running simultaneously about 20 minutes, starting and stopping them both in the same frames - the wav output was approximately 10 seconds shorter than the mp4 output, and the stutters in the mp4 weren't present in the wav.

Also, I've noticed that reducing the video bitrate minimises the number of stutters, so I wonder if it's being caused by performances issues on the video/framerate side of things?

48. jackmosan123

jackmosan123

QuickBooks Error H202 is a network-related error that interrupts open-concluded work procedures within Quickbooks. Quickbooks is the account operation software that assists its stoner to maintain an account and secretary conditioning. Intuit develops this software for all the small and mid-sized enterprises worldwide to manage their fiscal exertion without any hassle.

49. Lanre

Lanre

This could be because of the frame timestamps for the video during recording. The WAV recorder doesn't actually use timestamps, so you get exact timing based on the total number of samples committed along with the sample rate.
    Hm that is likely an encoder artifact then. It has to be something internal to MediaFoundation.

50. awu_unity312

awu_unity312

Did this ever get resolved? I am facing the same issue where recording works fine in the editor, but crashes when running on the iPhone.