Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

NatDevice - Media Device API

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Lanre, Dec 17, 2015.

?

Should we add exposure controls in v1.3? This means dropping support for iOS 7

Poll closed Jun 10, 2016.
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Lanre

Lanre

NatCam.dll is the editor extension for the feedback window and the menu bar that opens the documentation in your browser. This does not use any API that is incompatible with WSA.
    Yet again, this has nothing to do with NatCam.dll. It is the namespace include/thread class in NatCamDispatch.cs which is not compatible on WSA. You would have to customize NatCamDispatch to utilize Windows.System.Threading.ThreadPool instead of System.Threading.Thread.
    We will be doing this in the NatCam 2.x release cycle. This is a long term goal for NatCam.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Are the sources for RAIN AI open? If they are, then you might be able to customize them to work on UAS.

2. christougher

christougher

Oops, forgive me, it's the zxing.unity.dll. I have every single reference to threading disabled in the natcam scripts to test the windows build, if I don't it won't even start the build at all. With the scripts no longer referencing threading the build pretty much completes but then throws errors referencing the rain.dll and zxing.unity.dll, and forgive me again but it's RAIN only referencing threading but Zxing.unity.dll had it's own slew of incompatibilities. The presence of the zxing.unity.dll alone was enough to prevent a successful build.

Here is the first (very long) error regarding zxing.unity.dll which lists out the individual errors.

and then 30+ of the individual errors:

Awesome, looking forward to it. I love it on Android, I don't notice a performance hit when running my app in AR mode. :) I've yet to test it out on IOS.

Honestly it's good that I found out now my AI system not compatible before I sunk any more time into UAS. This should not reflect badly on Natcam, which is truly a great, performant plugin.

Sadly no, UAS support was discussed earlier this year apparently but support has been axed. But thx for asking

3. Lanre

Lanre

Actually, we kept a situation like this in mind. If you ever needed to get rid of ZXing.NET so that it could build properly, open NatCamMetadata.cs and comment out this line:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #define NATCAM_ZXING_DEPENDENCY
    This would allow you to delete ZXing.NET (or at least disable it for UAS when building) without causing any errors in NatCam. I know you don't need it because of RAIN, but I thought I'd mention it still.

4. SentreStage

SentreStage

Any news on the issue of NatCam Capture image from the camera being upside down on newer iOS devices that use Metal?

EDIT: As a note, we are using the fallback interface because of some issues with crashing on certain devices. Not sure yet if this has something to do with it, but on all iOS devices that we have tested on that are capable of using Metal the image looks fine when rendering to the RawImage as a preview, but when we try to actually store the image it gets flipped upside down.

5. Lanre

Lanre

There is no such issue that we know of.
    What crashing on which devices? Those are issues that we would fix immediately they are reported.
    How do you store the image? Using NatCam's PhotoSaveMode or using Texture2D.EncodeToPNG? The fact that this happens on Metal should not have any influence on this issue. Have you tested on GLES2?

6. ina

ina

Would be really impressive if Natcam is the first Unity plugin supporting access to the new iPhone 7+ 2 cameras!

7. Lanre

Lanre

The two cameras on the iPhone 7 Plus are not stereo cameras. One is for telephoto images and the other is for wide-angle images. They are two separate cameras and most probably won't be used together.

8. Lanre

Lanre

Hi guys. The past week has been extremely hectic for me; I haven't been able to get much work done on NatCam. This week however would be very different. I should be completing 1.4b1's video recording functionality on Thursday. I'll keep you updated.

FaberVi and pixelsteam like this.
  9. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Also please keep the videos coming, they are a BIG help.

10. Lanre

Lanre

I need suggestions as to what to make videos on. Is there anything you'd like to see?

11. dberroa

dberroa

I don't know if you have a video on this, but I would be interested in seeing one using Natcam to scan QR codes.

12. Lanre

Lanre

There is a video on this.

13. cyruschoi

cyruschoi

Thanks for all the great work. We face the similar slow performance of WebCameraTexture, and need to overcome this. I think NatCam is the most possible option I see so far.

Some pre-sale question.

1. Natcam need Google Play Service support ? Some device doesn't have Google Framework ( like Android device at China ) . If yes, what is the steps to remove this dependency ? ( we didn't barcode )

2. What is the min Android version, and iOS version required ?

3. What kind of sources is bundled ? any Android C++ level source at there ? We might need to customize or add some features , so access to source and modify by ourself is important.

4. We will use OpenCV/FastCV ( Qualcomm library ) for some image processing , I see the PreviewMatrix. What is the additional overhead ? We want to target for some 30+ fps application, so, we are looking for <10ms overhead at the camera side.

5. We need to get some camera parameter ( more specifically , for Android, LENS_INTRINSIC_CALIBRATION ) , is this possible ? ( Android and iOS )

Thanks again,

Cyrus

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  14. Lanre

Lanre

@cyruschoi Thanks! Inline responses below.
    As far as you don't need to scan barcodes or faces, you will be fine. You must make sure that the detectMetadata flag in NatCam.Initialize is never On.
    iOS 7+, Android API level 15+ (Android 4.0.3, Ice Cream Sandwich).
    The only sources that are not available are the Android C++ sources. They use private API's so they are not open to developers. This is not a hurdle because the practical entirety of NatCam's operations on Android (both the control pipeline and rendering pipeline) are in the Android Java layer (which I send to developers on request). The C++ layer is responsible for some boilerplate, low-level functionality that should never be modified. All iOS and managed (C#) sources are open and included.
    There is no overhead for supplying the preview matrix. Data is simply copied from the native layer into the preview matrix; I believe OpenCVForUnity uses memcpy natively which is nearly instantaneous. Processing the matrix however is where a lot of developers stumble. They fail to realize that OpenCV matrix operations take a lot of processing time. Make sure you perform your matrix operations on a separate thread.
    NatCam uses the android.hardware.Camera API (camera1, not camera2) to guarantee support across the majority of the current Android device market. The LENS_INTRINSIC_CALIBRATION API is not available in the camera1 API.

15. dberroa

dberroa

When is version 1.4 going to be available on the asset store? I'm holding out on purchasing until it is.

16. FaberVi

FaberVi

17. Lanre

Lanre

I can't say. I know that 1.4b1 will be completed in the next couple of days; I will start sending it out to NatCam developers for testing. This testing period will take as long as it needs to for me to make the version stable enough for a final release version. I will update the first post with the changelog when 1.4 is out.

18. Lanre

Lanre

19. Lanre

Lanre

Hi guys. There has been a major improvement in 1.4b1 that might affect some of you (especially OpenCV and native developers):

+ On Android, the native preview update and preview data dimensions now respects the orientation of the app.

This means that if the app's orientation is portrait, then the preview data and preview resolution will be HxW instead of WxH (like 720x1280 instead of 1280x720). This means that NatCam.PreviewFrame is no more skewed on Android; this issue previously required using RenderTextures to fix. This also means that OpenCV applications will work better especially when tracking or detecting faces and landmarks with OpenCV. Huge thanks to the NatCam dev that bugged me till I decided to make a fix in NatCam :D.

EDIT: NatCam 1.4b1 is not at all complete in case you are wondering. This is the first change we have made since 1.4b0 because this fix was quite urgent for the said developer.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  20. zlremillard

zlremillard

Hello @Lanre !

When I use NatCam.SaveToPhotos, it works flawlessly on iOS: it saves instantly my texture on the Camera Roll.

However, when I use it on Android, it looks like the pictures are saved, but they show up nowhere. For them to show up in the Gallery, I noticed that I have to plug my phone via USB. It looks like when I plug it, it updates something and then, all the pictures I took show up.

Is this a normal behaviour? Is it something in my phone preferences?

Also, when I close the app on Android, it automatically crashes.

Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  21. Lanre

Lanre

Hi @zlremillard, it seems like an SD card mounting issue. NatCam saves photos to external storage (make sure you have Write Access set to External in Player Settings in Unity). I am not too sure myself, but I suggest making the sure the SD card is properly mounted (when the device is not connected to USB). Till proven otherwise, I consider this a device-specific issue.

22. zlremillard

zlremillard

I'm using a S6 so there are no external SD Card...
    I will try to investigate more to see where the problem is coming from...

23. Lanre

Lanre

Ahh I see. Please do so and let me know of anything you find.

24. zlremillard

zlremillard

Ok so I went around the office to borrow multiple Android devices and it looks like the S6 is the only one that behaves like that. Note 4, Galaxy Tab, S7 are all okay.
    The only thing I need to know is if it's only that S6 or all of them. If you've never seen that before, I guess it's mine only... Maybe the data structure is corrupted or something... Will try to find another one to confirm.

Thank you very much for the support. I really appreciate it.

25. hangemhigh

hangemhigh

I just came across this after watching your video and this will be the first Asset I am buying. I need to know something before buying this. Since this is called NatCam, does it have an API to access the Mic too? I know Unity has for Microphone API for this but I am looking for a faster API just like yours. Please let me know if NatCam supports this. If it doesn't, do you have a timeline to add Mic feature? I am just making a chatting App and I think NatCam is the right solution for thr camera. Don't know if it has Mic API too. Please let me know.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  26. Lanre

Lanre

Just as I suspected. Keep me informed.

27. Lanre

Lanre

NatCam does not have a microphone API; it is only for access to the camera. We will not be adding a microphone API because the microphone is separate from what NatCam was intended for.

28. hangemhigh

hangemhigh

Ok, thanks for your reply.

Lanre likes this.
  29. Lanre

Lanre

Actually, I created a thread to ask devs about this. Check out the NatMic question thread.

30. hangemhigh

hangemhigh

I replied to that post. You can read it and let me know what you think.

Lanre likes this.
  31. Uli_Okm

Uli_Okm

Hi @Lanre ,
    I`m using your asset and until now I`m amazed, just some questions:
    - How do I really enable the camera flash on android devices? Even testing the Demo Scene without modifications the flash selector does nothing. Is there a need for some configuration before?
    Also, i dont know if this can be a bug, but adding the NatCamU.NatCam.SaveToPhotos(photo, NatCamU.PhotoSaveMode.SaveToAppAlbum); in the OnCapturedPhoto callback of the minigram script seems to make the preview turn into an all blue image. Save photos is really used like this (on the OnCaptured callback)?

Thanks

32. Lanre

Lanre

Flash or torch? Flash only comes on when taking a picture, torch puts on the camera torch (like a flashlight).
    Code (CSharp):
    1. DeviceCamera.TorchMode = Switch.On;
    You should use NatCam.PhotoSaveMode instead so that the photo can be saved automatically after the photo is taken. I would like to investigate the blue image though. Can you show me the code you wrote and a screenshot? Thank you.

33. Uli_Okm

Uli_Okm

Torch worked fine (and is enough for me right now) but the camera flash isn`t working when I take the picture, really strange.
    The example that generated the strange blue picture:
    void OnCapturedPhoto (Texture2D photo) {
    //Set the rawImage
    RawImage.texture = photo;
    //Enable the check icon
    checkIco.gameObject.SetActive(true);
    //Disable the switch camera button
    switchCamButton.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    //Disable the flash button
    flashButton.gameObject.SetActive(false);

NatCam.SaveToPhotos(testPhoto, PhotoSaveMode.SaveToAppAlbum);
    }

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  34. Lanre

Lanre

Hi. Could you email me a screenshot of the blue screen and the full logs from logcat when you run the app on your device? Make sure you do not filter the logs for Unity log tags. My email address is olokobayusuf@gmail.com.

35. Lightning-Zordon

Lightning-Zordon

Hi i'm getting a problem with the preview image not showing up on android anymore, It was before but now it's showing nothing.

I'm getting these logs from adb:
    09-22 13:23:22.288: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: On camera frame available
    09-22 13:23:22.288: I/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Dispatching render callback request
    09-22 13:23:22.288: I/Unity(28738):
    09-22 13:23:22.288: I/Unity(28738): (Filename: ./artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)
    09-22 13:23:22.288: I/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Dispatch Enqueue
    09-22 13:23:22.288: I/Unity(28738): (Filename: ./artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)
    09-22 13:23:22.288: I/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Native requested callback 2 on render thread
    09-22 13:23:22.298: I/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: PreviewScaler: orientation-Portrait portrait-True min-480 max-640
    09-22 13:23:22.298: I/Unity(28738):
    09-22 13:23:22.298: I/Unity(28738): (Filename: ./artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)
    09-22 13:23:22.298: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Rendering pipeline update
    09-22 13:23:22.298: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Bound active frame buffer with error 0
    09-22 13:23:22.298: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Bound program for drawing with error 0
    09-22 13:23:22.298: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Cleared frame buffer with error 0
    09-22 13:23:22.298: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Bound preview texture for drawing with error 0
    09-22 13:23:22.298: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Bound vertex buffer for drawing with error 0
    09-22 13:23:22.298: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Bound vertex attributes handle for drawing with error 0
    09-22 13:23:22.298: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Bound vertex coordinates for drawing with error 0
    09-22 13:23:22.298: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Bound texture buffer for drawing with error 0
    09-22 13:23:22.298: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Bound texture attributes handle for drawing with error 0
    09-22 13:23:22.298: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Bound texture coordinates for drawing with error 0
    09-22 13:23:22.298: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Bound orientation matrices for drawing with error 0
    09-22 13:23:22.298: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Performed drawing with error 0
    09-22 13:23:22.348: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Finished drawing with error 0
    09-22 13:23:22.348: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Unbound vertex attributes handle with error 0
    09-22 13:23:22.348: D/Unity(28738): NatCam Logging: Unbound texture attributes handle with error 0
    Any ideas what is going on?

36. Lanre

Lanre

The logs you posted do not show nearly enough information. No errors at all. Please email me the full logs from logcat (not just Unity logs) from app start (when Unity initializes GL) onward. My email address is olokobayusuf@gmail.com.

You said that it worked before but doesn't anymore. What did you change? It couldn't have changed without something causing it to do so, so I think there might be something that happened for this to happen. When you email me the logs, please let include the device information including OS version (Android API level). Thank you!

37. pgeorges-dpt

pgeorges-dpt

Hey guys,

What's the best way to request camera permissions on iOS before calling NatCam.Initialize? We seem to be having crashes at the moment where people are giving permissions to our app to use the camera via NatCam.

Cheers,

Paul

38. zlremillard

zlremillard

Hello.
    When I switch app or go back to the menu on Android, the app no longer crashes (YEAH!).
    However, when I come back in the app, the camera preview no longer update. It is stuck on the last frame when I exited the app.

Thanks!

39. Lanre

Lanre

The first time the app is started, iOS will automatically request permission. If the crash occurs because of iOS 10, then you will need to add NSCameraUsageDescription to the Info.plist file in the generated Xcode project.

40. Lanre

Lanre

Can you email me the full logs? My email address is olokobayusuf@gmail.com. This issue has been reported before.

41. Lightning-Zordon

Lightning-Zordon

This has been resolved, it wasn't a problem with Natcam, but with UGUI's mask.

Lanre likes this.
  42. rattlesnake

rattlesnake

Hi Lanre,
    It's been a while :)
    The improvements are massive !

May I suggest to add a little feature for 1.4b1 ? Saving the photo to a custom location directly using the API
    Something like :
    SaveMode.SaveTo(Application.persistentDataPath);

When do you think the new version will be released (more or less ?)

Thank you,
    Seb

43. Lanre

Lanre

Hi Seb.

We thought about doing this but didn't want to handle any exceptions that could arise from doing it. Developers can handle this by simply using System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(...). The SaveMode enum will take care of saving to more complex locations, like the photo gallery or an album inside it.

44. hangemhigh

hangemhigh

Hey, it's me again. I want to buy NetCam today but I want to ask if image from Camera can be received returned by bytes instead of converted to Texture2D. I just want to get cam image as byes(PNG/JPE) send it to network. When received as bytes, Convert those bytes to Texture2D with Texture2D.LoadImage and display it to RawImage component. I just want to know if camera image can be obtained as bytes instead of Texture2D. Thanks.

45. Lanre

Lanre

Hi. The camera stream can be accessed as raw bytes (stored natively), but the bytes are the uncompressed RGBA data for the preview. You would have to compress it by loading it into a Texture2D then calling EncodeToPNG/JPG (or use libjpeg/png natively in your own solution) before streaming the data over a network. I don't even think this is the most ideal streaming format. Look into video streaming data formats because I don't think streaming PNG/JPEG data over a network is the most common or ideal thing to do.

46. hangemhigh

hangemhigh

Thanks for replying. JPEG is used for streaming by most webcam cameras. I made an app that works fine with it. My next project is to add support for built-in cameras on mobile devices. I don't want to convert it to Texture2D then to JPEG. I want to go convert the bytes to JPEG directly. If this is possible please let me know. That's all I am looking for. If you can add a function that will convert the uncompressed RGBA data bytes directly to JPEG then that's it. Thanks.

47. Lanre

Lanre

Mobile devices (Android and iOS) do not support streaming the camera preview in JPEG. See this and this. I will not be adding a way to compress the preview data to JPEG because it is out of the scope of NatCam. You will have to look into using libjpeg or libpng if you decide to use NatCam.

48. Vtolee90

Vtolee90

Hi. I built my AR game with natcam but when i deployed it on android it get this error. Is there anyway i can solved it ?

below is the log:-
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): FATAL EXCEPTION: UnityMain
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): Process: com.MD.Dewtopia, PID: 3319
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): java.lang.Error: FATAL EXCEPTION [UnityMain]
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): Unity version : 5.4.1f1
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): Device model : samsung SM-T805
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): Device fingerprint: samsung/chagallltexx/chagalllte:5.0.2/LRX22G/T805XXU1BPC4:user/release-keys
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to update texture contents (see logcat for details)
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): at android.graphics.SurfaceTexture.nativeUpdateTexImage(Native Method)
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): at android.graphics.SurfaceTexture.updateTexImage(SurfaceTexture.java:240)
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): at com.yusufolokoba.natcam.NatCam.UpdateSurfaceTexture(NatCam.java:555)
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): at com.yusufolokoba.natcam.NatCamRendering.UpdatePipeline(NatCamRendering.java:31)
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): at com.yusufolokoba.natcam.NatCam.UpdatePipeline(NatCam.java:720)
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): at com.yusufolokoba.natcam.NatCam.RequestRenderCallback(Native Method)
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): at com.yusufolokoba.natcam.NatCam$3.onFrameAvailable(NatCam.java:499)
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): at android.graphics.SurfaceTexture$1.handleMessage(SurfaceTexture.java:203)
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:145)
    09-26 18:32:51.185: E/AndroidRuntime(3319): at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$b.run(Unknown Source)

It there any solution to solve it? i did emailed you regarding this issue. hope to get your reply soon. thanks

49. Lanre

Lanre

I emailed you the update with the fix.

50. coshea

coshea

In the editor, natcam obvious reverts to fallback camera, but when I try to Pause Natcam I get this error (whilst testing in Editor):

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    NatCamU.Internals.NatCamFallbackInterface.Pause () (at Assets/NatCam/Plugins/Managed/NatCamFallbackInterface.cs:135)
    NatCamU.NatCam.Pause () (at Assets/NatCam/Plugins/Managed/NatCam.cs:252)

Thanks