Search Unity

Feedback Nanite/lumen/metahuman for unity?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by THRL707, Apr 15, 2022.

1. THRL707

THRL707

Yes, this is a bit of a strange question, and to some extent stupid, but still, do you think unity has plans to create its analogues in the form of nanite, lumen and metahuman? What do you think about that?

2. neoshaman

neoshaman

There is uma

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

For Lumen, Unity already has it's own global Illumination system (for now) called Enlighten (Also, the "progressive" light-mapper for baked GI) but it's on it's way out. I assume they have some plan to replace Enlighten after Unity 2024 LTS. From what I've heard it will be their own in-house solution and they intend to support more advanced rendering features like realtime ray-tracing and all that cool stuff. Most recent info I've seen is here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/sur...kend-deprecation-from-2023-1-release.1222737/ There is also a link to their survey, so If Lumen has some amazing feature that you think Unity is missing out on, there may be a place on the survey to request it.

As for Nanite, the closest thing I could find is this: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/AutoLOD. Not sure why it's on github, rather then being an experimental package, but maybe it's not far-along enough in development. This software would probably be useful, but obviously it's not the "magic" that Nanite promises.

As for MetaHuman, I haven't seen anything like that. Unity has recently released their "enemies" demo, but that shows off tools for rendering realistic humans, but not authoring the assets. Generally, Unity doesn't really do so much in the way of asset-authoring and most Unity devs use external software for that. Unity's been buying up other tech companies and there's always a chance that they intend to incorporate these technologies into the Unity editor, but so far it doesn't look like they've done anything like that yet.

4. neoshaman

neoshaman

Nanite is a tech stack it's not just auto lod.

Unity has uma for a metahuman like, just more dated visually but more versatile. With enemy we could salvage the hair, skin and eye shader, but the appeal of MetaHuman is the hi quality facial facial morph and animation, but that's the only adventage over uma, a very strong one nonetheless.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

I don't believe they have any plans for anything resembling the full stack that is Nanite. A partial approach like an automatic LOD is possible.

Before I comment on Lumen it's important to understand that Lumen exists because Epic wanted a technology like raytracing but that would achieve higher performance allowing it to run on more devices. It's a gamble on their part that by the time games largely adopt it raytracing won't have become available for everyone.

Unity is unlikely to adopt a similar technology in my opinion because raytracing has taken off more than people had initially believed it would. I recently watched a video showing Control which requires raytracing running on Steam's handheld which uses AMD's integrated graphics with good performance.

If graphics card prices had not gone insane for the last couple of years we would actually be even further along the raytracing route thanks to the release of cards like the RTX 3050 ($250) and 6500 XT ($200).

Doubtful. Unity is a company focused on creating a game engine and support services for it. MetaHuman is a content creation tool. Unity has historically said that they don't want to compete with their partners and people who use their software, and Unity is partnered with many of the content creation tool companies out there.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  6. kdgalla

kdgalla

Yeah, the goal for Unity should be to come-up with the best GI solution they can, not to try to imitate Unreal. The way you describe it, it sounds like if Unity were to try to clone Lumen, then it will already be too late by the time that they finish. The tech is good now, but may be irrelevant in a few years.

7. neoshaman

neoshaman

BTW lumen like Nanite is tech stack of various technique:
    - sdf tracing
    - world space occlusion probes
    - ssr and ssgi
    - raytracing (optional, alternative to sdf)
    - screen space deffered probe (new)

8. THRL707

THRL707

Do you want to know that in the future we will get a new realtime gi?

9. kdgalla

kdgalla

I don't really understand what you are asking here but I don't know anything about Unity's new 2024 GI except what is in the link I posted. Unity do not reveal much about their long term development plans. People generally advise to focus on what is available now and don't wait for new features that may never come.

10. Nexusmaster

Nexusmaster

JellyBay, jobo22, DevDunk and 2 others like this.