Search Unity

Naninovel — Visual Novel Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Elringus, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Elringus

Elringus

Can you point me to the renpy docs for that feature, please?

2. WilsonCWong

WilsonCWong

The docs about the rollback is here: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/save_load_rollback.html#rollback

Basically, it allows players to continuously go back (or forward) to a previous line of dialogue or choices (skipping all effects, transitions, etc.). It also brings the scene back to how it looked at that moment, replays voice lines (if any), as well as undoing any changes made to variables that were modified during that time. Basically taking snapshots of the game's state and loading it back. As far as I'm aware, Ren'Py is the only engine that comes with it out of the box, and your engine is the only other one that even has an API for this sort of thing.

If you want a game to play around with, you could grab Doki Doki Literature Club to test how it works.

It's a super convenient feature and it's more interactive than a history log since you get to see how the scene looks like at that time. You also don't need to reload a save to change your choices. I think this feature could round off Naninovel's feature set, especially now with the custom post-processing support and all the other things that you added. I imagine it can be a bit challenging to implement though.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  3. Elringus

Elringus

Thanks for the info! Does this feature allows to return to the states that were "visited" in previous game sessions? I mean, is it possible to start playing the game, save it, exit the game, then start the game again, load and go back to the start of the game using the rollback?

4. CHOPJZL

CHOPJZL

Hi, about the text styling.

I saw the github issue talking about this, I posted the question about ruby text in TextmeshPro forum as you already referenced. Although I got a direction about how to do it, by making custom tags, I think there is still a long way to go before a production ready form, as Utage did, which even didn't use TextmeshPro. Just a reminding in case you guys did't count on TextmeshPro itself to do all the styling work:)

5. Elringus

Elringus

Hi! We're currently researching this topic. It's definitely possible to achieve with the Unity's text, just requires quite a lot of work for each of the styling, while TMPro supports them out of the box (except for the ruby/furigana stuff). Most likely, we'll try to implement furigana option for the Unity's text (like the Utage did), but leave all the other stylings for TMPro.

6. WilsonCWong

WilsonCWong

Yeah, I believe that is the default behavior. When the game is saved, the number of "steps" taken is saved as well. These amount of steps can also be customized as well:

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/config.html#var-config.rollback_length
    https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/config.html#var-config.hard_rollback_limit

Of course, this makes it a bit more complicated if, for example, the script gets updated since the last time the player has saved.

7. Elringus

Elringus

I see, thanks for sharing the info! I've added a task for this feature; you can track it here, if you wish: https://github.com/Elringus/NaninovelWeb/issues/63

WilsonCWong and Beru like this.
  8. Elringus

Elringus

Multi-line conditional blocks will become possible with the next update.

restush96, WilsonCWong and Beru like this.
  9. restush96

restush96

Wow! This is what we need. I have been following you for 3 months. I have some questions...
    - Does this engine support Portrait gameplay for Android/ios? How?
    - I wanted to create a conditional choice like when the player chooses to take a bath the result is -1 energy and +1 hygiene. Does this engine support that? How?
    - I'm planning to release the game on PlayStore, how to add ads like pop up after 5 scenes? And how to make in-app purchase?

10. Elringus

Elringus

1. If you mean the aspect ratio, the built-in UI is adaptive and should work fine in portrait mode; check the web demo and resize the browser window to make sure it works for the aspect ratio you need: https://naninovel.com/demo/ It's also possible to make a custom UI and replace any of the built-in ones;
    2. It's possible with custom variables, check the guide for more info;
    3. Check Unity tutorials for ads and in-app purchase; be aware that you'll most likely need to do some C# (or visual) scripting to integrate the stuff.

restush96 likes this.
  11. Elringus

Elringus

Dynamic memory management mode is coming in v1.7. When enabled, only the resources required for the next n-commands are preloaded, while all the unused stuff is unloaded on the fly, which significantly reduce peak memory usage.

12. Elringus

Elringus

Language switching will no longer require restarting the game. ⚡️

By the way, Naninovel allows localizing resources of any type: scenario scripts, UI, character and background sprites, audio, video, etc.

13. Elringus

Elringus

We’re expanding visual scripting tools support with PlayMaker (https://hutonggames.com) in the next release.

Thumbs up to Hutong Games for helping us out with the integration!

ocimpean likes this.
  14. ocimpean

ocimpean

This is a very cool addition. And the navigation map. I don’t think any other VN solutions in the store have those.

Elringus likes this.
  15. Elringus

Elringus

To make navigation over scenario scripts a bit easier, all the labels and `goto` commands contained in the script will now be shown in the inspector header.

We’ve also added a custom script asset icon, hope you’ll like it. :)

16. Elringus

Elringus

Ruby (furigana) characters will be supported in v1.7 by all the TMPro text printers via a custom <ruby> tag.

CHOPJZL likes this.
  17. Elringus

Elringus

In the upcoming release generic background and character implementations will allow building custom actors using Unity’s event system. How about animated 3D characters instead of boring sprites? :)

LNMRae, chiyukipi and ocimpean like this.
  18. Elringus

Elringus

Extension for Atom editor providing syntax highlighting, error checking, auto-completion and interactive documentation for naninovel scripts is now available for Windows, MacOS and Linux platforms. ✍️

19. Elringus

Elringus

20. Elringus

Elringus

State rollback feature, allowing players "go back in time" to re-read previous messages or re-do choices, will be available with the next update. ⌛️

WilsonCWong likes this.
  21. Elringus

Elringus

Our save files has gain quite an extra weight recently. To alleviate the issue, we’re adding an option to compress and serialize them as binary files. This will also make it harder for cheaters to alter the saves.

22. Elringus

Elringus

We’re adding Unity's new Addressable Asset System support with the next release. Apart from the great flexibility on the format of assets distribution, it’ll also help reducing build time and size.

23. Elringus

Elringus

Perspective camera support and look around mode are coming with the next engine update.

24. Elringus

Elringus

We've added a configuration menu listing all the built-in UIs and allowing to selectively disable or override them.

25. Elringus

Elringus

We’re adding an option to drive character mouth animation based on whether it’s currently the author of the printed text message, aka "lip sync".

26. Elringus

Elringus

In the next release we're improving support for manga/comic style of text presentation with Bubble printer and options to change the printers position on screen.

Also, check out the new sun shafts FX. ☀️

ocimpean likes this.
  27. Elringus

Elringus

Custom variables editor GUI will be added in the next release allowing to view and change values of the variables while running the game.

28. Elringus

Elringus

Visual script editor will be introduced in the upcoming Naninovel release.

29. Elringus

Elringus

30. vresu

vresu

does this engine support 5.6.7??

31. Elringus

Elringus

If you mean Unity 5.6, then no, it's not supported. Minimum supported Unity version is 2019.2 at the moment.

32. Elringus

Elringus

33. Elringus

Elringus

34. Elringus

Elringus

Starting with v1.9 it'll be possible to specify character appearance in the generic text lines.

35. Elringus

Elringus

Depth of field (aka bokeh) special effect will be added in the next release; it'll work in both orthographic and perspective camera modes.

36. Elringus

Elringus

Localization utility will now show total number of words that need to be translated when it generates the localization documents.

37. Elringus

Elringus

With v1.9 we're adding hot reload feature allowing to modify scenario scripts (via both visual and external editors) during play mode and immediately apply the changes without restarting the game.

38. Elringus

Elringus

We're adding touch screen swipes as an additional input option for the control scheme. `Continue` and `Rollback` actions can now also be performed with left and right swipes respectively.

39. Elringus

Elringus

Diced sprite characters will support appearance animation and other character-related features in v1.9 release.

40. Elringus

Elringus

Layered actors implementation is coming in the next update. It'll allow building characters and backgrounds from multiple sprites (layers); the layers can then be independently toggled via scenario scripts.

41. Elringus

Elringus

We're adding an option to override shader used by the engine to render an actor; feel free to add those fancy material effects for you special characters and backgrounds! ✨

42. Elringus

Elringus

In v1.9 characters will get support for all the transition effects backgrounds currently have.

Beru likes this.
  43. Elringus

Elringus

Full scene transitions will be possible in the upcoming release. ️✨

44. clickerunity

clickerunity

Hi Elringus,

I'm really enjoying the great features (and updates!!!)in Naninovel as a non-programmer. It is amazing to see how easy to make a great dialogue just using Naninovel, and more amazing to see from the Youtube videos how it can be flawlessly implemented as a dialogue part in bigger games.

This is my first time using Unity or Naninovel. But I hope I could use all those great features that Naninovel provides in the near future!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask questions like these, but it'd be very much appreciated if you could have a look at them.
    Here's what I'm trying to figure out:
    (1) how to exit Naninovel with Playmaker (I know how to start it, but have not been able to figure out how to exit yet)
    (2) how to play a specific Naninovel Script
    (3) how to bring custom variables data in Naninovel Script that I set(in my case, score) into Playmaker.

VN that I'm trying to make has several unity scenes such as messages, shop, etc., and I want to bring out data(such as score) that a player acquired while playing Naninovel scripts, and show the score when the player exits dialogue to show progress.

It also has several main characters that the player is targeting(?), so the player can choose which character that the player want to proceed dialogue with each day, thus the question (2) came up which I haven't figured out yet. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  45. Elringus

Elringus

Hi, I'm glad you found Naninovel useful!

1) It depends on the integration scenario; if you choose to completely destroy (disable) Naninovel when switching to another gameplay mode, use `DestroyEngine` playmaker action. You can also use `@reset` Naninovel command to reset the engine and free the memory, but not destroy it, so you can still use the engine services and switch back without initializing it all over again. Don't forget you can also invoke playmaker events from naninovel scripts. See the guide for more info on that: https://naninovel.com/guide/playmaker.html#events

2) Use `PlayScript` playmaker action.

3) See https://naninovel.com/guide/playmaker.html#global-variables

For further communication please join our discord server and register your naninovel copy to access the support channel: https://naninovel.com/support/#developer-support

46. Elringus

Elringus

We're adding an option to provide custom handlers for all the state serialization activities; this will allow to customize how the game and settings are saved, solving any potential platform-specific IO issues. (hello, Nintendo Switch!)

47. Elringus

Elringus

We're adding finishing touches to v1.9 release. Check out new font settings, which allow players to change font type and size while the game is running.

LNMRae likes this.
  48. Elringus

Elringus

Unity's new Input System will be supported in the next release. ️

LNMRae likes this.
  49. Elringus

Elringus

We've added a command for animating actor parameters via scenario scripts with support for key frames, looping, easings and shader transitions. ✨

50. witch_li

witch_li

i want to use this asset in my arpg game to enhance plot‘s performance. could the parameter in novel script to be used in main game?(such as npc's impression toward protagonist)