Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Naming your component field "Type" crashes and messes up your project *Solution in Post

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by THAMATRIX, Oct 31, 2019.

1. THAMATRIX

THAMATRIX

So i found this bugg when after releading my entitygroup, some entities suddenly dissapeared and in responce alot of reference where broken aswell.

In the console i got this error:
    InvalidCastException: Invalid cast from 'System.String' to 'Unity.Properties.IPropertyContainer'.
    System.Convert.DefaultToType (System.IConvertible value, System.Type targetType, System.IFormatProvider provider) (at <1f0c1ef1ad524c38bbc5536809c46b48>:0)
    System.String.System.IConvertible.ToType (System.Type type, System.IFormatProvider provider) (at <1f0c1ef1ad524c38bbc5536809c46b48>:0)
    System.Convert.ChangeType (System.Object value, System.Type conversionType, System.IFormatProvider provider) (at <1f0c1ef1ad524c38bbc5536809c46b48>:0)
    System.Convert.ChangeType (System.Object value, System.Type conversionType) (at <1f0c1ef1ad524c38bbc5536809c46b48>:0)
    Unity.Properties.TypeConversion.Convert[TDestination] (System.Object source) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.properties@0.4.0-preview/Unity.Properties/TypeConversion.cs:344)
    Unity.Properties.TypeConversionExtensions.GetValue[TValue] (Unity.Properties.IPropertyContainer container, System.String name) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.properties@0.4.0-preview/Unity.Properties/TypeConversion.cs:416)
    Unity.Tiny.TinyUpdater.UpdateObjectType (Unity.Properties.IPropertyContainer object) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.tiny@0.14.5-preview/Runtime/Runtime/Core/TinyUpdater.cs:99)
    Unity.Tiny.TinyUpdater+TinyObjectMigrationVisitor.BeginContainer[TContainer,TValue] (TContainer container, Unity.Properties.VisitContext`1[TValue] context) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.tiny@0.14.5-preview/Runtime/Runtime/Core/TinyUpdater.cs:141)
    Unity.Properties.ObjectContainer+Properties+ClassValueProperty.Accept (Unity.Properties.ObjectContainer container, Unity.Properties.IPropertyVisitor visitor) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.properties@0.4.0-preview/Unity.Properties/ObjectContainer.cs:229)
    Unity.Properties.ValueClassPropertyBase`2[TContainer,TValue].Accept (Unity.Properties.IPropertyContainer container, Unity.Properties.IPropertyVisitor visitor) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.properties@0.4.0-preview/Unity.Properties/Value/ValueProperty.cs:69)
    Unity.Properties.PropertyBag`1[TProperty].Visit[TContainer] (TContainer container, Unity.Properties.IPropertyVisitor visitor) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.properties@0.4.0-preview/Unity.Properties/PropertyBag.cs:94)
    Unity.Properties.PropertyContainer.Visit[TContainer] (TContainer container, Unity.Properties.IPropertyVisitor visitor) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.properties@0.4.0-preview/Unity.Properties/PropertyContainerVisit.cs:20)
    Unity.Tiny.TinyUpdater.UpdateObjectType (Unity.Properties.IPropertyContainer object) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.tiny@0.14.5-preview/Runtime/Runtime/Core/TinyUpdater.cs:95)
    Unity.Tiny.Serialization.CommandStream.CommandFrontEnd.AcceptEntity (Unity.Properties.ObjectContainer container, Unity.Tiny.IRegistry registry) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.tiny@0.14.5-preview/Runtime/Runtime/Serialization/CommandStream/CommandFrontEnd.cs:361)
    Unity.Tiny.Serialization.CommandStream.CommandFrontEnd.Accept (System.IO.Stream input, Unity.Tiny.IRegistry registry) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.tiny@0.14.5-preview/Runtime/Runtime/Serialization/CommandStream/CommandFrontEnd.cs:191)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    Unity.Tiny.Serialization.CommandStream.CommandFrontEnd:Accept(Stream, IRegistry) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.tiny@0.14.5-preview/Runtime/Runtime/Serialization/CommandStream/CommandFrontEnd.cs:230)
    Unity.Tiny.LoadTransaction:Commit(IRegistry) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.tiny@0.14.5-preview/Editor/Persistence/Persistence.cs:273)
    Unity.Tiny.Persistence:LoadMainAsset(String, IRegistry) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.tiny@0.14.5-preview/Editor/Persistence/Persistence.cs:904)
    Unity.Tiny.Persistence:LoadProject(String, IRegistry) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.tiny@0.14.5-preview/Editor/Persistence/Persistence.cs:827)
    Unity.Tiny.TinyEditorApplication:LoadProject(String, TinyContext) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.tiny@0.14.5-preview/Editor/Windows/TinyEditorApplication.cs:524)
    Unity.Tiny.TinyEditorApplication:LoadProject(String) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.tiny@0.14.5-preview/Editor/Windows/TinyEditorApplication.cs:512)
    Unity.Tiny.UTProject:OnOpenAsset(Int32, Int32) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.tiny@0.14.5-preview/Editor/ScriptableObject/UTProject.cs:23)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

After some debugging/testing i found out what the problem was. Every single time i tried to add a component to an entity and tried to relead the entitygroup the same error popped up and the same entities got deleted as before. The only field on this component was a String field named "Type". I hope u guys can do something with this information.

2. egonaraujo

egonaraujo

I do not know how the editor didn't warn you or something, but "Type" is a class and, as such, will cause errors when you compile (which unity does every time a script was changed and focus is back on the editor).

It is roughly the same as creating:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. publict struct Example : IComponentData
    2. {
    3.     float String;
    4.     SceneReference ComponentSystem;
    5. }
    and so on.

Why did this broke the Unity UI I have no idea, but a compilation error should have stopped the process of compilation in my opinion.

P.S.: This "Type" class was found on Project Tiny 16.1, but I would assume the 14.5 also have this class (Is the parameter of "World.GetExistingSystem(Type t)")