Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Naming characters and things

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by cirocontinisio, Oct 27, 2020.

1. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

While we have the name for the main character, we need to name all of the other characters and places. This thread can be a place to drop any name that comes to your mind.

We need:
    - The town's legendary chef (until now called "Fry King")
    - The Bard Hare
    - Various names for the Townsfolk, of all genders. You can create special townsfolk and assign them a characterisation, if you wish.
    - ?

We also need to name the town, and potentially the island where the story takes place.

Please feel free to drop names for anything else. You can provide backstories, but keep them as one line please :)
    Puns with food and cooking are welcome!

(need a refresher on the story? https://open.codecks.io/unity-open-project-1/decks/65)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  2. shuttle127

shuttle127

Phoenix Chick: Tiki (like the torch ... will it talk?)

The Bard Hare: Gabbott
    • Gabbott the Garrulous: if magical creature that randomly pops up, but seems like we're straying from that since he has a house; maybe he's considered Garrulous as a nickname for talking a lot/always responding in prose.
    • If he's the town helper that just lives outside of town, then people can summon him by shouting "Hey Gabboooott!"
    Townsfolk (apologies if they're too tropey/stereotypical):
    • Gourmando: this is Ciro's name from the stream, very fun, can be the name of the cook rival or any other really good chef, generally a jovial and loud character
    • Nevesa: expert in healing/medicine, usually wearing white with red/pink accents
    • Flor: expert in cooking veggie dishes, usually wearing green with colorful flowers
    • Kooky: crazy old townsperson that tells lots of stories about rare/exotic ingredients throughout the island
    • Short Order: expert in appetizers/quick meals
    • Small Fry: tallest yet most timid person
    • Heater: the resident pyromaniac
    • Raunch: the garbage collector
    • Muffin: always need a Muffin, could be expert in pastries
    Island Name Options:
    • Morta Fine
    • Fine Morta
    • Isla Fresca
    Festival Name Options:
    • The Feast of Seasons
    • Cooking Gala
    • Feastday Blowout
    • Annual Roast and Burn
    In the interest of not spamming one post, maybe this link to cooking puns provides more inspiration.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  3. NightyDev

NightyDev

Suggestions:

Island name: Flavor Island

Town's name: Spiceville

The legendary Chef: Sir Cooksalot

Townsfolk race name, in case they are all the one eyed guys: The Wunnais (sounds like "the one eyes")

itsLevi0sa and cirocontinisio like this.
  4. Smurjo

Smurjo

Suggestions:
    For the highest mountain or possibly the whole island: Mont Zarella
    Town: Truffleton
    The Legendary Chiefs Nickname: Sir Weightsalot (his name being Sir Cooksalot from above)
    The Bard Hare: Peter Bert, nicknamed Peppers (he is specialized in satire), his wife is Carmen Bert
    Townsfolk: Cinna Mon and her husband Sal Mon, Pat Ato and Tom Ato (twins), Ore Gano (village priest), Panna Cotta and Paella Bechamel (cheer leaders on the cooking festival? Announced on some poster?), Toastalot (the village drunk) and Notalot (one of the worst cooks, extremly thin)
    The chief's stranded boat: La Sagne (apparently it's a Italian boat)
    Town Hall (or any other room if there is): mush room

Wiecio, Mattendo, itsLevi0sa and 4 others like this.
  5. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

We should have a look in a dictionary. There are many unheard words in there.

6. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

They are all existing words or plays on existing words.

7. itsLevi0sa

itsLevi0sa

Tira Misu: Our towns’ coffee lady (or coffee addict). You will see her surrounded with coffee pots (like this or this) providing the perfect excuse for a break, a quick chat and some nice coffee+sweets. Some Townsfolk just can't do without her.

Mattendo, Smurjo and shuttle127 like this.
  8. shuttle127

shuttle127

Not sure if the town is big enough for an entire kitchen hierarchy like this, but since @Smurjo has been sharing some fun concept art of the different stations/booths at the festival, thought this chart could be something to consider creating characters and/or stations/booths for. The legendary chef would obviously be the executive chef, and leaning towards Gourmando being the head chef aka second in command, and could be the one giving Hamlet the long term mission to collect the key ingredients.

C87324DA-34B3-432A-9F9C-2BB378114B93.jpeg

itsLevi0sa and Smurjo like this.
  9. Smurjo

Smurjo

I would prefer to replace the waiter with "Meal-Server" though.... and only the fastest get awarded the title "E-Meal-Server" - Express-meal-server.

shuttle127 likes this.
  10. brownjoel1988

brownjoel1988

Since the name of the game is "Chop Chop" I thought it'd be good is the head chef was name Suey the Sous Chef. Get it? Chop Chop Suey?

Smurjo likes this.
  11. Aj_Tom

Aj_Tom

PLEASE ADD CONCEPT ART PICS SO THAT PEOPLE CAN MAKE MORE RESPONSES

1) BAT WITH SWORD CHARACTER- BLADEMASTER

12. shuttle127

shuttle127

I don’t remember which livestream it was, but the concept art characters are just that, concepts. Hamlet the pig is the only one going to be in the game unless someone makes the time to explain why there’s someone other than bard hare and Hamlet that don’t look like the townsfolk, and also of course models them. Agreed that they all look really cool, maybe we can justify them as travelers/adventurers somehow.

13. Aj_Tom

Aj_Tom

thanks shuttle127..

I see new game flow.. only bard hare character taken.. we drop eye king character.. I think Eye king character need to in game.. because without king how will island will run.. as a overall aspects like security, trades, business & much more

Eye king character will make great impact in game...

14. Aj_Tom

Aj_Tom

Festival Name- 1)Taste of Island festival 2) Ingredients master cooking festival 3) MasterChef of great Dish festival

15. shuttle127

shuttle127

Eye King you’re referring to is in game as the legendary chef/Fry King, with final name decision pending, currently only one option running unopposed.

As far as how the island is run, since the dialogue/narrative thread is kinda dead, those decisions will most likely come about when the Unity team gives the okay to start discussing missions for the story, most likely in a new thread.

Since we’re only focusing on one town, playing around with the idea of it being one big kitchen where each townsperson is part of the staff like the diagram above would be a cool/unique dynamic, and it would allow us to really show what goes on behind the scenes. To that end, there are definitely more names/positions to flesh out, although we’ll need to be mindful of trying to do too much.

Can’t wait for holiday/end-of-year break to end so we can keep the ideas flowing!

16. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Took some time to think new ideas for names. I am trying to stay away from descriptive names or puns that are too obvious. I find them... cheesy :D

For the Legendary Chef:
    Crug, but everybody calls him "Comb" (or the legendary "Comb"). He is legendary for a reason: whether it's spices, vegetables, meat or fish, he would source his own ingredients with his own hands, combing the area where they can be found to always get the absolute best and freshest, no matter the risk (and that's how he lost his ear).
    This reason would be given in the first conversation he's mentioned in (by Bard Hare?).

For the town: Yolk

The island: Isle of Hul, or simply Hul

For the townsfolk:
    No specific name. They are not "a race", hence they would just be referred to as the inhabitants of Yolk (or whatever name the town has).
    I find the idea of creating races a bit old-fashioned, it's more fun if they are all considered "humans", just looking different (same goes for Bard Hare, etc.).

For Bard Hare:
    Maqam (that's how he would introduce himself), also referred to by the townsfolk simply as the bard.

17. itsLevi0sa

itsLevi0sa

:D I do like it. Is this the reason his melodies are sounding eastern?
    In any case, out of my personal experience following different namings and people's contributions/preferences...I would let some namings be as some devoted users seem to like: For example @shuttle127 really has a connection with bard since day 1, so I'd personally "let" him name him^^ He convinced me with Gabbott. Or @Smurjo with Truffleton, I got used to it, I thought it was silently accepted as we moved on. Plus she has contributed so much in imagining the life in it that I'd love her to have that as well. Then for the FryKing, I remember VanDough was actually a Unity suggestion in the livestream's chat so this probably was...Carol? The 4th person you have in the livestreams, who I guess is in (almost?) every livestream and watches the progress, why not give a contribution chance there as well. He could totally be a Crug or "Comb" of course and I really like the one ear explanation, it will def be taken into account in the dialogues and we could still use "Comb" as a nickname. I am just saying, if they are too cheesy indeed we should change them then. I also would agree with the "race" idea so we could drop the Wunnais naming. All in all though, it would be a shame if a naming suggestion from the core team wouldn't have a proper welcome in the story as well (Thinking of Gourmando as a key character to be introduced and Globetrotter that Hamlet might be described as at some point).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  18. shuttle127

shuttle127

Funny you mention cheese, check out my post about the kitchen hierarchy and key ingredients. :D

I used the nickname in the EC description in my linked post, could be a source of humor later on in the long-term quest.

Who needs a town name when Gourmando affectionately refers to it all as "the kitchen"? There is no community like the kitchen, or so I'm told.

"I come from a long line of Maqam" when referring to all the bard hares that came before him works for me, same with the townsfolk just being like "oh the bard" instead of addressing him by name (though I do take offense to this stereotypical characterization :p).

Thanks for going to bat for me. :D

While I admit I'm the self-proclaimed #1 fan of #TeamBardHare, age is to a number as name is to a word. As stated above, Ciro's suggestion still fits well with my proposed backstory for BH, and we already vetoed the island-shortcuts helper in the original dialogue and narrative thread due to the extra work it would add, I should've remembered. His name doesn't matter anyway when it comes to all the shenanigan poetry I've got in store. :D

Also, it seems like Tiki/Tikki as the phoenix chick's name has been accepted, so I shouldn't push for naming all the main characters (especially because I typed Gourmando up above even though Ciro said it in the stream :p).

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  19. Smurjo

Smurjo

At first I didn't consider it a bad name, the town sitting in the center of the island like the yolk in an egg. But by now I can't help imagining "walking in yolk" as a sticky, slippery affear.

20. Smurjo

Smurjo

Now that the desserter seems to become part the story I think she should have a real name on top of her nickname - playing on something sweet in Englisch and someone cherished in Italian/Spanisch. Maybe Cara Mel?

21. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

I personally don't feel like we should name all of the characters after food. One or two is ok, as a joke, but if we do them all then the whole game will feel a bit like a parody?

22. Smurjo

Smurjo

So far we have Hamlet, Maqam and Comb - all of them parody but nothing with food.

23. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

How are they a parody? Only Hamlet would be a reference to food, but the thing is, it's also a real first name. The reference to food is there but it's not in your face, I feel.

This said, I think we should keep the Ato brothers you suggested. Especially if in dialogues they only show the first name. Maybe they could run a shop/food stand with the sign "Fresh vegetables from the Ato brothers" (or something similar). Then the joke is kind of hidden, and I think feels funnier when you realise it.

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  24. shuttle127

shuttle127

So it's too obvious that the twins are the soup (Tom) and veggie (Pat) chefs then?

25. Ciremia

Ciremia

What about Rab'sody have to tweek it a bit

26. randomscribe

randomscribe

I kinda want to suggest Rarebit for the bard.

cirocontinisio and Smurjo like this.