Search Unity

Resolved Namespace change?

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by MechaWolf99, Aug 26, 2022.

1. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Hey, so this is kind of a sillier question I have had for a while. I was wondering if/when the UIElements namespace will be switched to UIToolkit, if ever?

Novack and alexanderameye like this.
  2. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

Not silly at all. I struggle with this question myself. That said, officially, the plan is to keep the namespace as-is (UIElements). The cost of changing the namespace currently out-weighs the benefits.

I've also heard it justified by defining UIElements to the name of the API itself, while UI Toolkit is the umbrella name for the entire framework and all the tooling - but this is not official.

3. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Ah, that's too bad. I find it adds confusion when learning and makes it harder to find what you want when googling to find UITK specific stuff.
    Surprised you can't just use Unity's auto updater thing, guess there is docs and learning materials too. But it is what it is.
    Thanks for the reply!

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Using the Unity Script updater requires that we duplicate the classes/structs and have 2 versions of each. One is the new version and one is the old version marked as obsolete that redirects to the new version. It creates a lot of additional code/files to manage and makes things complicated for new users when there's a duplicate of each. We then have to maintain this obsolete code As we say, the cost of doing the change is just too high for a small benefit.

MechaWolf99 likes this.