Search Unity

Name of pb_ gameobjects change at random and cause merge conflicts

Discussion in 'World Building' started by oxysofts, Dec 2, 2019.

1. oxysofts

oxysofts

I'm not sure if it does it every time but I've noticed when working with a scene that has a lot of probuilder objects, we often seem to get a lot of name changes. For example
    pb_Mesh113642
    changing to
    pb_Mesh119286
    . Any way to stop this from happening?

sand_lantern likes this.
  2. Olmi

Olmi

Hi,
    Not a fix, but I'd probably export them out to Blender (or whatever you use) and then bring them back as "proper" imported meshes with the name I want them to have etc.

But I know some people actually build finished (?) levels with ProBuilder so that export-import might not be a viable option if you want to stay in Unity.

3. oxysofts

oxysofts

Not an option. Our artists do it most of the time, but we have test scenes where the point is not really the pretty environments, so we would like to not waste time with this or pollute the project with unnecessary assets.

sand_lantern likes this.
  4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! In the current system, PB needs to re-generate the mesh every time you make a change. By default, the data is stored in the "PB Mesh" component, which is then injected into the "Mesh Filter", where you see that "pb_Mesh123456". This shouldn't actually matter though?

Or, are you using the experimental "Meshes are Assets" feature? Can you describe your issue with a bit more detail, plus version of Unity and ProBuilder? Thanks!

5. martin_mws

martin_mws

Hi @gabrielw_unity
    We don't use the "Meshes as Assets" feature and we sometimes get the "pb_Mesh123456" change to many (if not all) PB MeshFilters in the scene/prefab and then saved to disk with new ids. This very much matters for version control and conflict handling.

In our case, editing a single PB mesh does not trigger the full rebuild, but deactivating a root game object for a large subsection will.

In any case, is there a compelling reason to generate new mesh ids instead of reusing the previous when rebuilding?

Unity 2018.4.14 and ProBuilder 4.2.3

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    sand_lantern and dariony like this.
  6. MajorParts

MajorParts

I've just come across this problem too. We have PB mesh doors and use the mesh on a mesh collider component. The component keeps losing the reference to the mesh.

sand_lantern likes this.
  7. dariony

dariony

This makes it very difficult when comparing scenes... please address this.

sand_lantern likes this.
  8. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

@gabrielw_unity This absolutely matters. Sometimes we run into accidental merge conflicts when one or both developers aren't careful. It's always a headache to tease out real changes from mesh id changes.

upload_2020-5-6_9-17-50.png

There's hundereds in here. I didn't even adjust any geometry, it just does this. As the scene grows it gets worse and worse; to the point where I pretty much don't want to use pro builder at all because of the headaches it causes. A shame too, because it makes quick iteration on grey boxing really handy.

9. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Ah, sorry, I meant "doesn't matter" in a different way - not regarding the source control aspect. Is a major issue with source control, yes.

Unfortunately, the base issue is that storing the mesh in the Scene (which PB does by default) will always result in nasty merging. We're actively working on a solution to this, but it's not simple or straightforward. Meanwhile, you can try using the experimental "Meshes are Assets", which will store your mesh in the project. Sorry for the trouble!

sand_lantern likes this.
  10. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

Thanks for the update and the potential work around! I know you're all hard at work trying to get a million things done, but us end users don't always see which way the ship is heading. It sounds like you're absolutely doing the right thing and keep up the good work.

11. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

@gabrielw_unity Coming at this a bit late, but I did a search for this problem because it is truly obnoxious. Based on the discussion, I'm not entirely sure that you follow what folks here are saying? To that end, please answer the following question:

Why does ProBuilder update these meshes when no mesh changes occur?

What is it doing? Why do I see "pb_Mesh34438pb_Mesh285298" all over the place in my scene whenever I save the scene?

To be clear, since opening Unity I haven't touched (selected in the Scene) a single GameObject containing a ProBuilder mesh. Why would ProBuilder suddenly need to go and regenerate all of itself even though I've touched nothing?

sand_lantern likes this.
  12. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

@gabrielw_unity Update: I've just determined that ProBuilder will do this "regenerate/reassign (?) all meshes" when you trigger an "Undo" action while editing a scene.

Wut.

I am consistently able to get this to trigger by following these steps:
    1. Open a scene with ProBuilder meshes.
    2. Disable an empty GameObject in the scene.
    3. Save the scene.
    4. Verify that the diff only contains the disabled state in a diff application.
    5. Undo the edit in Unity (Edit→Undo).
    6. Save the scene.
    7. Verify that the diff is suddenly full of pb_Mesh##### changes (and that is it).
    What is going on here?

For the record I am on Unity 2019.4.17f1 with ProBuilder v4.4.0.

reinfeldx, zhuchun, ckriger and 2 others like this.
  13. EdEddnEddy

EdEddnEddy

What is the status on this? I've also encountered the issue with Unity 2021.1.0f1 and ProBuilder 5.0.1.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    lovebirdsx and sand_lantern like this.
  14. HG_SB

HG_SB

Is there still "active" work on this?

jyfc and sand_lantern like this.
  15. zeinokko

zeinokko

Wondering this too. We keep having dozens of merge conflicts because of all these pb_x name changes :S

sand_lantern likes this.
  16. crdmrn

crdmrn

@gabrielw_unity any update on this? It's still happening and it makes ProBuilder nearly unusable in a professional environment :S

TJNBG likes this.
  17. TJNBG

TJNBG

+1

18. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies