Search Unity

Resolved Name bug

Discussion in 'Testing & Automation' started by Baste, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Baste

Baste

Since you seem to be working more on the test runner now, any chance you'll reconsider the "won't fix" label on this bug?

Essentially, all entries in the list of tests with the same name are considered as the same item. This means that folding/unfolding happens with all elements at the same time, running one causes all to run, and they have the same result marking.

In our case, the project is named "Mesmer". We've also got a namespace "Mesmer" that contain files specific to the game. If we put tests for things in that namespace in the same namespace, fun stuff happens:

Bug.gif

That's... not very good.

The resolution note states:
    And... really? You sure about that? It doesn't seem very complex to add a unique identifier to define what's selected instead of using the names directly. Hell, you have tech that handles this just fine in the hierarchy view, and that is already nicely abstracted, so...

2. ElvisAlistar

ElvisAlistar

Unity Technologies

Short term the answer is no, we are not going to reconsider it, mostly because I don't think anyone is going to work on a major redesign of the Runner UI.

This bug is caused by a combination of IDs and test names we get from NUnit itself and the way selection works in the Unity editor TreeView implementation used to display those items.

Maybe one day when we switch to using UIElements and having a different TreeView we will be able to fix this one as well.

Until then, I'm afraid the only workaround available is to keep names themselves unique. I know it's not what you wanted to hear but we want to be honest about what we can and cannot do at the moment.

3. ElvisAlistar

ElvisAlistar

Unity Technologies

Good news! @Mads-Nyholm decided to take another look at the issue and he found a fix. I will make sure this lands in all Unity versions back to 2018.3.

4. Baste

Baste

Great! Thanks a lot.