Search Unity

Mystical Public Beta 0.5 WIP

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by blue2fox, Apr 17, 2009.

1. blue2fox

blue2fox

Hi I've just updated Mystical for everyone to try, and I just figured out I could edit posts, so I don't have to keep adding a new post with every update oops... Anyway, I hope you will give the latest version of Mystical a try. I'm always looking for useful feedback.

Description:
    Mystical is a multiplayer action game where players are divided into two teams, “Order” or “Chaos” and must battle to gain control of strategic points on the map. During the battles, players will gain experience and gold from killing players or creeps. Each level increase gives players skill points and stat points. Stat points are used to increase, vitality, intelligence, strength, and agility. Skill points allow players to learn new spells or improve spells. Killing other players from the other team, will give your team one point. Each minute a team maintains control over a strategic point, the team will be rewarded ten points. The team to reach 500 points first, wins.

Changes from 0.4 to 0.5:
    -Worked on optimising game performance
    -Modified NPC behaviour
    -Added vendor NPC
    -Added Locomotion System
    -Modified Male Character Rig
    -Added Spell Targeting System

Preliminary Minimum Requirements:
    I've been testing Mystical on a few of my friends computers, and this is what I believe the minimum requirements to be:

Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core2 Duo
    Ram: 1.5 GB
    VRAM: 128 mb
    (It seems to work ok on Macbook 3,1 with 2.2 GHz intel Core2 Duo and 2 GB of ram)

You can download version 0.5 bellow:
    Mac OS X: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AFQCYETP
    Windows: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E4FR7DOU

Thanks for trying Mystical.

2. Alec

Alec

WOW! That looks great, I've never seen a unity game like it!

3. blue2fox

blue2fox

Thanks. :D I'm glad you liked it Alec. I'm starting to work on Sound Effects, so hopefully by next week it'll be better... I'm open to changes, so any suggestions, please feel free to tell me, and I'll see what I can do.

4. xandeck

xandeck

Looks very nice, I will make a download today at my home ;)

Are you using only Unity Network?

Nice game indeed.

5. Jacob-Williams

Jacob-Williams

Ok, just finished up with this game (played it for about an hour and a half). First, let me say that it is very evident that you put a lot of work into this. Although I was playing by myself, I still had a good bit of fun. I just have a few things I want to point out.

First, the game was only playable on my PC (Dell m1330, 128 nvidia, 2gb ram, intel core 2 duo) after setting the resolution at 800x600 on the minimum graphics setting and turning off the grass. I don't know what is killing performance, but it is something you might want to look into.

Second, the game is very hotkey oriented, and I found myself constantly bringing up the dialog that shows which keys do what. Possibly an few icons at the bottom would be good for things like character screen, inventory, skills, etc.

Third, the weapon choice is nice, but the sword seemed difficult to hit with and the bow is very difficult to aim. No complaints about the armor system.

Last, there seems to be a bit of a balance issue. At first, the game is crazy hard, but after a few levels, it gets too easy (I am speaking of fighting NPCs, and I had no human opponents).

Let me say in closing that I am in no way saying that your game is bad, the concept and gameplay are fantastic. I only had so much to say because the game has so much to do, so keep up the good work. Also, we need to set some kind of time for a few people to be online, I would love to try it out with a few people.

-CheapDevotion

6. Jacob-Williams

Jacob-Williams

As I hate download services, I have mirrored these files on my site - hopefully we can get a few more people playing, as I think a Unity game like this is a big deal ;)

Direct Download Links

Mac OSX Universal Binary
    Windows Executable

I will keep these up for a week or so. Blue2fox, feel free to use these links however you would like.

-cD

7. Alec

Alec

Cheers cheap!

8. xandeck

xandeck

Downloading now :D

9. Sakar

Sakar

I can't unzip the Windows version. The problem is all the "File" files in it.

10. blue2fox

blue2fox

Hi, thanks for the review CheapDevotion. It was very helpful. I love the idea about having icons at the bottom to bring out the different windows, and I'll jump on that right away :D

For the performance issues, it could be due to my coding... I'll go through the code. Perhaps it has something to do with my NPC system..? My NPCs do a bit of Raycasting... I'm not sure how resource heavy the Raycasting is.(I'll look over the 3D Platform tutorial and see how they set-up their NPC, I was a bit too impatient to finish reading that muhaha) I'm not too sure, but I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for telling me. If other people can tell me how they find the performance that would also be great. I'm currently running on an Intel Dual Core MacBook Pro, so I have no idea how the game runs on Windows.

For the bow and arrow, did you find the up and down movements of the breathing the cause of the aiming problems? I'll look into getting rid of that, or minimising the amount the camera moves with the breathing.

For the sword, perhaps the collider isn't big enough? I'll play around with that and the collision codes for the swords.

As for the NPCs, they aren't really to focus of the game, I just added NPCs to help move the game along, and help players level up. I could probably try and add a NPC Boss... It might help to add a bit more of a challenge later on in the game.

Thanks for all the feedback CheapDevotion, it was very helpful. Hopefully I can address all the issues in my next release :D

Oh by the way, xandeck, I'm only using the Unity Network. I don't know how to setup my own network. I haven't really looked into it. I imagine it'll probably cost a lot though.

I'm looking forward to hearing more comments and suggestions, to help me imrpove :D Thanks guys.

11. Jacob-Williams

Jacob-Williams

Blue2Fox,

Performance - I doubt the coding and raycasting were at fault, as the game did run well at low settings. It could possible be the number of draw calls due to the level being so full (not a complaint, by the way). I would recommend checking out the CombineChildren script for objects of the same material (i.e. Trees) this should help quite a bit. I wouldn't worry about it too much however; my laptop is not really a gaming machine, and the game is still very playable on the lower settings.

Bow - The breathing motion did make the bow a bit hard to use. In my [humble] opinion, the aiming should be quick, as the bow pulling delay keeps the game in balance well enough.

Sword - I would image making the collider a bit bigger would rectify the issue nicely, although the collider for the Ghoul Child and Infected Dog NPCs might need to be a bit bigger, as they are very small creature.

Magic - I love the magic system, but it was impossible for me to aim, so I only used it if an enemy was in my face. Also, the mana regeneration was very slow, although I am unsure if adding points to intelligence would correct that issue.

Again, fantastic game, and I wish you the best of luck.

-cD

12. blue2fox

blue2fox

Thanks for the tips CheapDevotion :D I'm trying out CombineChildren, seeing how to work it properly. I've also removed the day and night function from the game, which seems to have helped add about 6 frames per second on my computer haha. I decided to just use a light map for the terrain, and a static sun. You can see a frame counter by pressing [.] which wasn't mentioned in the game. I don't know if it's an accurate frame counter though.

Intelligence doesn't add mana regeneration, but there are items in the game which you can buy to help with mana regeneration. For powering up the bow, and for faster weapon attacks, agility helps. I'm not sure how I can improve the magic targeting system at the moment, but I'll give it some thought
    I'm glad you're having fun :D

13. Sakar

Sakar

Any chance of a fixed Windows .zip file? I'd really like to test this out but the zip prevents me from doing so.

14. blue2fox

blue2fox

Hi Sakar, I'll post a new Windows.zip file tomorrow. My internet upload speed is kind of slow, so it takes a few hours for me to actually upload the file. I'll post it when it's uploaded though :D I'll try and zip it on a PC, hopefully it'll fix what ever problem you're having.

15. Sakar

Sakar

Ok, thanks. Can't wait to play!

16. blue2fox

blue2fox

Hi Sakar. Here's a link to a re-zipped version of the game. I actually zipped it on Windows this time, so hopefully it will work...

Windows Re-Zipped File:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HH6C2PY2

Thanks for being so eager :D

Hopefully I'll be able to release an update this week. I've been working on optimising the game and hopefully I'll be able to add sound soon.

17. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Walked around a bit and killed me some Ghouls. Promising project. I noticed that when you kill a foe, it seems that the collider stays around after the baddie is gone.

18. blue2fox

blue2fox

Hi, AngryAnt. Thanks for the observation. I actually tried to make the collider shrink after they die, muhaha... but I guess that's not working out too well. I'll look into finding out how to ignore the character collider after they're dead.

19. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

You could just use Physics.IgnoreCollision, but why not destroy the baddie GO when it dies?

20. xandeck

xandeck

Hey blue2fox,

nice game, I tried last friday (but I was travelling so I did not answer :) ).

Let me post somethings what I saw:

- The animation of the characters are very strange, I dont know if this is one of your primary objectives, but I consider change in future.
    - I killed some mobs and looks the mathematics is nice, but I think its hard at the beginning :)

- The game ran ok in my machine (Core 2 Quad, 3 GB, 9600 GT GeForce).

Keep up the game, it is very good. :wink:

21. blue2fox

blue2fox

Thanks for the pointers xandeck. I've recently added Locomotion to the game, to help improve the animation. Hopefully it looks better, and it doesn't use up too much processing power on peoples computers.