Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mysterious Playables API Animation Mysteries

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by SomeCode, Nov 6, 2017.

1. SomeCode

SomeCode

Hey guys! I'm in the process of converting my game from relying on Mecanim to simply utilizing the Playables API. I'm very excited to do so as it's much better for the project on paper, but I've run into a couple of roadblocks that might be deal-breakers if I can't find a solution (Google sure can't).

-Is there a way to Mirror animation clips the way that Mecanim is able to? I was able to find and disable the "Foot IK" with AnimationClipPlayable.SetApplyFootIK (which is helpfully and secretly on by default), but there seems to be no such method for enable Mirroring.

-When setting PlayableGraph.SetTimeUpdateMode to Manual, its own description says that "PlayerController.Tick" must be called to actually advance the time - however, no such method can be found in the Unity documentation (the web description doesn't even link to the method), and the two other guys on the internet who have posted about this in English seem just as perplexed as I am.

Thanks in advance - and really hope I'm not being cast back into the flaming cesspits of Mecanim!

2. SomeCode

SomeCode

Alright! Well that's disheartening!

There's no working example on the entire internet of anyone using DirectorUpdateMode.Manual successfully, and while I could probably figure out how to mirror the animation clips at runtime if I were a software engineering genius, I'm not, and the Playables API seems to have absolutely zero awareness of such a feature existing despite Mecanim having a checkbox to do so for years. That said, the real nail in that coffin seems to be the fact that I'm the only person on the internet who cares that neither of these things work.

I've spent a couple evenings trying to cross this tiny gap, but to no avail, so I suppose I'll just stash my Playables animation code until hopefully a solution rears its head. In the meantime it looks it's back to Mecanim StateMachines crammed with every possible character animation and blending tree in the entire game!

3. petey

petey

I’ve run into the same thing :(
    Mirror is a super useful feature that can avoid you doing a lot of tedious extra work. This definitely blocks me from looking into playables.
    Also, missing features that were in the previous animation stystem sounds like history repeating :rolleyes:
    I really hope they can manage to get some of that functionality in. It’s not on the roadmap though so who knows.