Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Myst Like Game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnNShields, Apr 30, 2012.

1. JohnNShields

JohnNShields

I was wondering if it is possible to make a Myst like game in Unity. It would have 360 degree camera look, but is not an fps character controller. Look at Myst 5 for more info.
    If you can help me out it would be great! :cool:

2. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Anything is possible, you just have to have the experience and dedication to produce the results. It should be too awfully hard to to create 360 degree camera look. So you would be using the third person character controller then? Personally I think first person would be the better choice. Plus from the looks of the screenshots, Myst 5 is using a first person controller.

3. BrynP

BrynP

I don't see why not, the old prerendered Mysts might be a lot more work, looks like the more recent stuff isn't and I'm sure if you stuck with real-time rendering like Myst V you could build a game with similar gameplay and a similar atmosphere without the same level of work as the earlier Mysts took, I'd say the only thing to hold you back would be your own ability to pull it off. Unity3D should be able to create any kind of game, it just requires that the people making the game have the skill and ability to pull it off.

You could think of the old Mysts as using an animated sky sphere, I'm not sure exactly what they did to achieve the 360 effect programming wise. But there are some 'making of' videos on YouTube of the earlier Myst games.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  4. Jessy

Jessy