Search Unity

My WIP VG Music Album

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ishzonur, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Ishzonur

Ishzonur

2. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

First song needs work on timing and how powerful certain things are. Second song is just everywhere. Third is good, reminds me of pokemon but it needs a few fixes here and there. Forth is like first, overpowering instruments. Also the melody doesn't sound right. Finally the last one just doesn't sound right. I think you need to make some music lessons and study composition, it seems like you are just using rrandom notes and winging it.

3. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I take it youve had no formal music training?

Sounds like a bunch of presets with the odd assortment of random notes thrown in. No progression, no structure, no melody

I guess the most interesting game should be so lucky.

4. Ishzonur

Ishzonur

No, I don't know much about compisition, I listen by ear. I'm new and self-taught.

It's not presets, btw.

Edit: Some people thought the music was fine. But I couldn't give it to them because the album will be finished before their game will. They are still planning, have some concept art and story but nothing programmed.

I'm not completely melody blind, or am I? I just listen to it until I think it's alright.

Edit 2: I forgot to say in OP that I am seeking 2D games, because 3D games use orchestral stuff mostly.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  5. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

It doesn't sound right, sorry but you need to work on it some more. I don't think people would want those in their games.

6. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Did these people either know you personally? Some people don't like to give realistic feedback. Being brutally honest can be quite mean, but it helps no-one.

Ill put it to you like this... I assume you are familiar with American Idol and all those singing talent shows... well, you know the people that are in the first few audition episodes (that usually sound like cats fighting at best). These people had someone tell them that there singing was 'alright'.

Ill say some parts sound like they might be ok by themselves, but you layer in too much conflicting sound.

7. SevenBits

SevenBits

Agree with the above posters. And why did you encode as WAV? Use ogg or mp3...

8. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I'm going to add on to this part, if I may. Layering conflicting sounds isn't necessarily a bad thing. It creates tension and that can be very powerful, but you MUST release that tension or the song will fall apart. To release tension just go back to a sound that is pleasing to the ear. Please note though you have to do it a certain way. You cannot pick any two random chords.. I'd give you a small lesson but I'm not sure if you know a little music theory. It involves the relationship between the I (or one) and V7 (simply seven) chords.

9. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

wav files are lossless. you lose a little bit of the sound with mp3 files.

10. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Im talking about notes that just dont work together. No amount of tension is going to make them sound good.

11. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Most of which most people wont hear unless they are listening on a high fidelity system. Based on the range of these samples... 128 would have been enough.

12. Ishzonur

Ishzonur

I'm listening through my headphones which is much more better than my laptop speakers. :p

13. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I'm not talking about making them sound good. I'm saying it helps you feel those notes.

14. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

True, but maybe he can either notice a difference or simply prefers to use it.