Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

my UI extension got Rejected. Now what!!?? :P

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by IzzySoft, Jun 12, 2015.

1. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

When building the mesh are sharing verts, or unique per quad?

2. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

All verts are shared. No seams. Maybe I'll want to use vertex colors to blend gradients. Undecided. ex:

3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

You can only assign one texture position per vert. So unless the two quads are adjacent in the texture map, you will need to have seams. (separate verts). Only share verts if you know that they are going to use the same texture space.

4. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

I did some testing and I'm sorta satisfied with the results so far.

Animated Gif shows multiple game objects using the same shared Material
    Plus, alterations to a single game objects mesh (clipping in this case) still uses one draw call.

Same for Color tinting (not show in image), which can apply tinting to the individual 9 slices.

I got Tiling to work well for the individual 9 slices...

but I'm concerned that the Verts limit of 65000 will be reached when sized larger. :/
    Suggestions? :{

Thanks. :)

PS.
    Anything else besides creating additional objects/meshes for verts that exceed the 65000 mark? :(

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's a pretty extreme example; in real usage the tiling would be much bigger and therefore use a lot less geometry.

--Eric

6. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

Back with a question about Anti-Aliasing and Unique or Shared mesh vertices.

Working with Unity 5.0.2.
    Quality Settings: Fantastic (which has Anti Aliasing turned on: `2x Multi Sampling` in this case)
    Player Settings: Use DX11 turned off (which uses DX9)
    Player Settings: Forward Rendering

This is what it shows:

I was thinking of using Depth Overlapping of the quads, so each quad slightly overlaps the previous one and sits on top of the previous.

ex: when Quad Overlapped by One pixel on x/y, and Depth Stepping of .001 on z

Is there a better way? :{

Thanks,
    Izzy.

7. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

You shouldn't need to do that (overlapping). If the verts are shared, there should be no seam.

8. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

I even have it with Shared Verts.

ex:

Same... Anti Aliasing still ruins it. :[

manpower13 likes this.
  9. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

That aliasing you are seeing is from geometry edges. It shows that they aren't connected. (You could also see something similar if you are using a cutout type shader).

Check your method that builds the geo, and make sure that your code generating the verts is actually sharing and not just duplicating. Also double check your normal directions. Joining tris smoothly definitely works.

Dantus likes this.
  10. Kamilche_

Kamilche_

At first glance, it isn't apparent what the product actually does. You list some features that are available inside of Unity UI - why would I use your product instead of Unity's UI

I would make the first sentence or two state emphatically what the product does, and why we want to buy it.

11. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

Geometry Edges show up when using these Shared Vert configuration.
    I prefer this approach, as my Shader can Gradient Fill using Vertex Colors.
    Whether its Unique Verts or, like the example below, which is also using Shared verts.
    ex:

But, Shared Verts like this, Works ok for Aliasing geometry edges. :)
    ex:

But now it has UV Edge Bleeding when Aliasing is on.
    ex:

But it looks Ok if there is one pixel of padding around the Textures tile area.
    ex:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  12. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Posting images of the in-editor interface doesn't help. The problem is in the tool, not the interface for the tool. ;). Just post results an relevant code. Everything will just be guesswork without code. This stuff all works just fine.

What are you using for the shader?

13. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

Thanks Zombie for the help. :)

While trying to build a simple example, antialiasing looks fine and no Geo Edges show up, just the expected UV bleeding (much like what you would expect if the Texture was Bilinear/Trilinear)

I might have to examine the way I'm feeding the shader its Opacity when Antialiasing is applied. I tried to clamp the UV's i used to 0-1 for each Quad (verts). I Might want to alter this 1st before trying anything else. ;)

I Don't want to share the way i'm using UV's for clipping as i worked hard on it. Just say that It Works, A.T.M. :)

Side Note:
    It might make sense to Not Have Anti Aliasing On, and apply Anti Aliasing as a post processing Image effect, if users want to overlay their own World Objects (their own Camera) that use Anti Aliasing.
    ex:

But that's way down the road. :/

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  14. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

Zombie,

Yep, you were right about the shader Clipping causing the Geometry Edges. :(
    Fixed it.. so Now Shared Verts like this look good when Antialiasing is on:

And users can have independent Color Gradient Tints on each of the 9 regions.
    So, if the user wants to hide the Middle area, they can.. and it won't interfere with the adjacent areas:

Well, there's still the issue of UV Bleeding from adjacent Texture pixels:

But that might be resolved by slightly stretching the UVs. Well, it would be more of a workaround. :/

Thanks again for the help. very much Appreciated. Again!
    *Someone is bucking for a fruit basket. Maybe once i sell it!? ;)*

15. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

I cant say its Better than unityUI, yet.
    But, I'm hoping that more FUN, EASIER, FASTER are someday used to differentiate kissUI from unityUI. ;)

16. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

quick update: (repost)

Adding things like.. a Toolbox, where you can drag and Drop structures from the scenes Hierarchy view... and its automagically made into a reusable control from then on.

also.. small icons for each of the sub-sections for a control in the Inspector view:

(tabbed on the right is a Hint for whats the values are/is for the most used settings)

preferences now uses the same style as the Inspector views...
    (which also animates Expand/Collapse of a sub-section too)

Scene view Toolbar 2, has Zoom to Fit, and Zoom to 1x... which zooms the scene view to an almost* pixel perfect representation of what the Game view is.

very very close... 99.9% accurate. Yes, 100% is very difficult. :/
    also, Outlines dropdown lets you pick which immediate objects it should draw an outline for, in relation to the currently selected object of course. ;)

example of using a kiss Image style:

and changing it to another style:

when possible, almost all fields can be overridden to use, or not to use, Style settings.

just by right clicking a label field for an entry, and changing the 'Is Styled' option from the context menu. Hmm.. kinda reminds me a little of css. :p

and if you forget that styling is enabled on some fields, even though its tinted, and try to change it... you will see a reminder that the entry Is Styled. ;)

etc...
    more to come...

Can't predict exactly when the next iteration will be released, but it's kinda Soon. ;)

Thanks,
    Izzy.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    manpower13 likes this.
  17. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

18. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

manpower13 likes this.
  19. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

20. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

Working on Tabbing between Window panels. Even shows a Blue Highlight on the Active button/window.

ex:

I have a rough working example here:
    WebPlayer Demo: http://kissui.izzysoft.com/Examples/FocusGroup 401.html

Usage:
    Press Tab to switch the focus to the next control.
    Press Ctrl + Tab to switch the focus to the Next Window.

For either of those two, hold Shift also.. to go Backwards through the list of Controls, or Window panels.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    manpower13 likes this.
  21. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

Update: version 0.1.5.1

Fixes:
    - SceneView: Camera Handles work now when Width/Height are set to CustomSize.

Added:
    - UI Styles example now shows how Focus Groups works with Ctrl + Tabbing.
    screenshot of example:

webplayer demo of example: http://kissui.izzysoft.com/Examples/FocusStyles101.html

ToDo List:
    - A screencast video showing how to setup Style Switching.