Search Unity

My Time With Eclision.....(Lengthy Post, skip to bottom for outlined details.)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Patriick, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Patriick

Patriick

My Time With Eclision:
    I just want to let people know about my experience with Eclision before anyone else ends up wasting allot of time and effort, this post is not an attack.

I had joined Eclision thinking they were really organised and had a decent team so I had thought great I could work alongside people and actually get to animate due to my previous findings of teams where they would just send me models ripped from daz or something like that and they had a website that looked cool and professional too.

When I got on board with the team and met everyone I was pretty excited to be on a team that for the most part seemed organized and seemed to get things done but after a while things started going not so well. I didn't receive any art to animate as I had joint the team as an animator and I was then asked to model something so I figured ok I will make a model while the modeler is away and got it done and animated it but later I find that the modeler had no knowledge that he needed to do anything.

After a while I ended up modelling for the team too although there was next to no concept art provided and most of the time I was waiting on that but I made a few models anyway without it for the team to keep things flowing and that's when things started to get really bad the programmer that was on the team had some real personal issues going on so he took some time to himself but while he was gone he was posting on a forum from time to time when he had a few moments that he could get online and Josh Minger (Eclision) blow out of control and flipped out at the kid for it and was talking s**t about him when the kid got back online he quit due to it. Thus a new project was born while Josh tried to recruit more programmers and after that I started my own thing as a project leader should not act like this.

After a while Josh Minger presented me and the rest of his team with a new project that sounded ok other than the fact that it was yet another MMO that I personally think is way over his head but he is hell bent on making one but i jumped on board after seeing some of the other members where too like the modeler and most of the others well at this point the team was small I mentioned going to a smaller project but Josh totally ignored my input on that subject. Things were going ok he seemed to have calmed down things were getting documented and there was progress when some time after he flipped out again and I cannot remember the reason for this one.

He switched engines like crazy (game engines) that got annoying real fast and he broke torrque but me and another member helped him fix it the only problem was he talked so much trash abotu it after he broke it and once fixed he loved it again and said every other engine is garbage compared to that... His words

Soon after he got access to the HeroEngine for free. He started a new project in that which i opted out of due to my previous experience with him on his team and he added me to the team chat anyway and said just stay and see hoe things go so that is what I did well things like previously were going smoothly at the start and people were getting things done and everything was fine... But for some other reason Josh Minger stopped the project but I have lost track at how many were started and atleast one of them was not from him freaking out and going nuts but this one he ha new members few programmers and a level designer and some other modelers on board so it was like a fresh start well this project I think that he actually posted for on just about every forum, Draken Online. He was showing someone the progress and features of the HeroEngine and "accidentally" somehow deleted everything. The level designer got pissed along with everyone else but Josh said he would get it done again and fix things. After a week there was next to no progress as people were waiting for him to fix the problem like he said and the following week he went and cancelled the whole project.

After gaining some new members he started a Pokemon game in the HeroEngine and I for one wanted nothing to do with it so i left the chat and was added back the next day and Josh said he needed a pikachu model and he has a modeler with allot of the models done. I said I wanted nothing to do with it. I eventually felt bad that his modeler wasn't around and modelled him a pikachu and there were some other issues with one of the newer team members that got him pretty annoyed and they were arguing a fair bit when out of nowhere he explodes and flips out on everyone and cancels the project like the last ones. After this I mentioned go smaller no more MMORPG ideas but perhaps some small indie titles and such let's use Unity and get some small games out then maybe after a while work on the bigger gamess when you have more man power and a decent previous work behind the team well he didn't like the idea at all and mentioned how would he make any money. I said it's not about the money at first you are going to maybe need to release a game for free or next to no money from your first release depending on how the project looks, feels and plays in the final product but without listening to reason he said thats stupid and he is all about the money and profit alone. So i departed properly this time and came to Unity to get some small projects underway when a week or so later Josh and Eclision head over and say ok lets get a small project done well I declined the offer and carried on working on my small game. He still added me to the chat so I didn't bother leaving and he seemed to have got things into perspective but like before it seemed as though he was ok and working on things so I stayed further back from the project and eventually he went from a single player rpg to an rpg but possible mmo. then whatever he is working on now.

The Point Of My Post:
    The point of this is that Josh is an unstable project leader and lies in his posts. He is by no means an expert nor does he have a team as large as he mentions as many will figure out once they do join.

He tried to merge projects with another larger team and once adding everyone to the chat he got p****d off with the lead artist and flipped out and left after talking crap about everyone.

He is unorganized and reckless and often implodes on himself and that brings down the project but usually he freaks out when there has been no progress made for a few days and says you need to balance life and work and there is no inbetween even for voluntary as you need to act like its a real business they are things he has said.

Although this may have changed I am wanting to get my experience with Eclision accross to many others out there so they do not waste time and effort like I did, ask for progress reports and or images of current progress and a real team member list if you are considering joining but Josh is a decent guy to talk to in a chat and screw around with. He also has some great ideas and a creative imagination but by no means can he run a project or manage a team.

I have however met some great people through joining this team and other than that I do very much regret joining this team as there are so many more out there that are more organized and stable. Not to mention would appreciate any work provided from a voluntary member as Josh has said I produced nothing for him. I produced many models and a few animated character for the team but I never sent them to him due to the project being cancelled and it made no sense giving him work he would not need or use.

There are many mroe issues I have not addressed but the main point of what has happened is here and this is not to say that he can learn from his mistakes or act differently in the future and for his sake I hope that he does as if he keeps this up there will not be anyone on the internet that would want to join him in his mission or quest to get rich from making an mmo lol

Good Luck with Josh Minger and Eclision!!

Just a friendly heads up before jumping on board with him make sure things are as he says they are!!
    I usually hate posts like this and such but my experience with him is ridiculous and I felt the need to warn others specially amateurs that can be spending their valuable time learning instead of taking s**t from Josh Minger. I hope this saves a few talented young people from wasting allot of time running in circles.

Apologies for my poor grammer, I would have released a game or two by now if I hadn't joint Eclision..

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  2. Zoe

Zoe

Really hope this doesn't blow up in your face

3. Patriick

Patriick

Me too...

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

Sounds pretty typical. I had 2 projects go very similar to that when i was younger.

5. joshimoo

joshimoo

You are not familiar with this quote are you?

6. Patriick

Patriick

Lol, yes I am but I gave the benefit of the doubt and there were new members joining and things seemed to be going ok at the time when I decided to get back on board but no more lol

7. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Jesus, average age of the team is 21. BTW you are still listed on his site.

From the sound of it, Josh is probably bipolar?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  8. varedis

varedis

I love the David Cameron and Obama at the top of the website, very professional

9. tvle83

tvle83

I worked with Eclision and Patrick as well and can agree with everything he said. And yes, I am da Bawss, I honestly think that Josh is bipolar.

10. Patriick

Patriick

lol I forgot about this post until it was back at the top (I forgot to subscribe to it). Well I have no idea why I am still listed on the site but none of those names are people that are still with Eclision... From what I know.

The post was mainly not to say Don't join Eclision but to warn people to investigate more into it before joining up as in his recruitment threads he mentions having a large team and how much is done but that is not always true as the large team he last posted that he had there were about 5 active members that were still not around much.

I think Josh should just find someone that can manage the team and lead the project for him as he has some great ideas and ambitions although a little intense with the large projects but he really does freak out and break under any slight pressure or even a slight hiccup and he would freak out and get all frustrated with things followed by sometimes taking it out on others.