Search Unity

My thoughts about Autodesk 3Ds Max 2012

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by makan, Apr 13, 2011.

1. makan

makan

Hi everybody :)
    Short post, I've got 3Ds-Max 2012 an hour ago and here my thoughts about it:
    1-It's not gray like 2011.
    2-It's faster
    3-The menu has new option Send to! which i like it.

4-I don't know maybe it's just my graphic card but it changes to this after i don't move my view port!

5-There is a new Option Ring Array on system

6-I think Visual MaxScript Editor is new option on MaxScript!

7-The Objects have shadows on viewport and whenever i change it to to shaded from realistic it looks like this!

I need to get a new GPU!

8-I see New Options on Utilities like Flight Studio

9-They've change Reactor to MassFX Toolbar! it looks shorter that Reactor!

10-They've added new Render, iRay hmm which it has less options than Mental Ray and Vray.

11-Material Editor is like previous Versions.

Hmm what else they've added i don't think they've changed the Particle Flow...OK it was my first look at Max 2012, it has better render engine and faster performance and New Physics which should be better. hope it was helpful thanks for reading :)
    -Makan

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

This might get moved to the External Tools section, but I'll answer here.
    You are using the compact Material Editor, you know, right?
    But, it seems pretty much the same as 2011, but maybe it's more fluid,
    I am slowly getting used to it.
    Yeah, does look like you need a new video card, which one are you using now?
    I have a GTX 460 and it seems to work nicely.
    The new viewport rendering is a LOT faster than in 2010 and 2011, it can now handle well into the tens of millions of polys without much trouble and can go into the hundreds of millions with some trouble.
    Still using 2011 for modeling right now since I haven't tried exporting FBX yet out of 2012, guess I should test it.
    Other than these few things I haven't dug too much into it.
    Will have to look at the Ring Array you mention to see what it does.
    Not sure what the Body Objects are either.
    $Body_Objects_screen.jpg
    I don't use MR but fR for my renderer and that seems to work well after upgrading to the latest version.
    My subscription still hasn't been upgraded to 2012 yet, so I don't have a new serial number, though I paid for it back in August. Running the trial is ok, just a little annoying to have to go through the extra step to run it each time.

3. Tudor_n

Tudor_n

Is the UV Unwrap bug gone ? 2011 was next to useless for us since every now and again, the unwrap window would take a dive into bug-land.

4. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

5. makan

makan

Guys i go post it on External tool tnx

6. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I already moved it into the right category.

Thanks.

Thomas P.

7. makan

makan

Let me check the Unwrap UVs....Wow they've changed it completely!

:D :D i bet it doesn't have that bug anymore!

8. makan

makan

My GPU is ATI 4670! need to get GTX 580 :D ring array was like particle flow a little and here are some info about body objects i need to work more with Max 2012 to learn its new rendering engines :)

9. makan

makan

10. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

I´m waiting for my freand to install the new version 3dMax 2012 in my pc.
    I just have an question.

Instead of bones, why not also add the Biped in Unity3D?

It is better, since the animation is easier in 3DStudioMax where we can save BIP with the animation and load it on the same subject through the Load Motion.

I heard that the new version of 3ds Max 2012 Support CAT and also the Biped system is better. Is this true?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  11. makan

makan

I think it doesn't matter with bones or biped you rig your character, since you will bake the animations on FBX, in max you can save your animations on and mix them on motion mixture but unity doesn't have this option so you need to bake the animations to FBX and import them...

12. chaos1986

chaos1986

I can confirm that fbx works flawlessly with Unity, and Collada fbx works with mesh import in Second Life, Substances are REALLY kool, I wish Unity would look at setting up with algorythmic that'd just be killer

13. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Just tried a model out of 2012 and seems fine in Unity,
    guess I'll move permanently to 2012. Always nice to have a more refined version of the software.
    Pro Optimizer is faster and more accurate in this version.

14. makan

makan

I use multiress for lowering my polygons i tried pro optimizer but it delete the bake unwraps...I'm looking for getting a good plugin for that...

15. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

16. ivanzu

ivanzu

Its good but i dont like the shadows just waste of memory.

17. makan

makan

Yea i agree

18. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Turn off the shadows? if is possible.

19. spacefrog

spacefrog

20. makan

makan

21. Tysoe

Tysoe

Did they fix CAT I wonder. I love cat but in 2011 there still seems to be some underlying bug that deteriorates rigs over time. Seems to be worse when you import a old max file. But you don't always know its corrupted till sometime into the future after multiple saves. I really hope they have fixed that now.

22. spacefrog

spacefrog

The CAT fixing was planned for the 2012 release but did'nt make it, so CAT in 2012 is essentially a recompile of the 2011 version (including the bugs). Again, the new, fixed and partly core-rewritten CAT version will get released in a servicepack/hotfix...

23. Tudor_n

Tudor_n

Had the chance to test 2012 at a friendly game-dev company over here. My first impression is : wow, this is slugish. Even on [admitedly early 2010] Quadro cards.

Between the bugs in 2010/2011 and this new release it's no surprise that every big company still asks for tests/ interview pieces/ etc in 2009 format.

P.S: The Unwrap bug is gone. Looking forward to test the service packs.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  24. X82

X82

My thoughts?
    It's constantly crashing on me. Closing the UVW editor window causes the programme to freeze for 10 seconds.
    But perhaps the biggest problem. Any .max file I open with it, save then try to open in 2011 doesn't work.
    Beyond annoying. Oh and it takes twice as long to load as 2011.

25. Tudor_n

Tudor_n

x82, most of your points are valid. It's slow to load, sluggish in how they render their window classes and in general.

The saving part is exactly the same as it was in 2011. At least, be thankful that they've started supporting the previous versions. Just click save-as and save as a 2011 or a 2010 max file.

26. X82

X82

This is true. But It would be nice to for max to save in a format supported by 2011/2010. When I open a file in 2012 and click save, I don't automatically think, that can't be used on any other version. But alas, thats my ignorance.
    2012 is so bad for me I wanted to uninstall. But I needed it to re-save my files back to good old 2011.

27. makan

makan

Hmm i don't have this much problems with 2012, i like it to be honest!