Search Unity

TextMesh Pro My text is pixelated / grainy

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by PoRtCuLLiS, Mar 30, 2023.

1. PoRtCuLLiS

PoRtCuLLiS

liberation_font.png chewy_font.png canvas_settings.png tmp_settings.png

Hello guys, I'm hoping someone can help make my text look more clear. At smaller sizes (e.g. 24) my text starts to look very pixelated, in any font I've tried. The LiberationSans one also has a strange line under each character, even though I haven't applied any underline styling.

I'm making a 2D game in URP (I don't know if that's relevant). Many thanks, Rob.

2. Filopuk

Filopuk

Hello! I had the same issue. I managed to solve it by switching Anti-aliasing to No Anti-aliasing in the main camera's settings. Before that, I think I used to have FXAA set up, and it caused all the text in my game to become blurry.

3. PoRtCuLLiS

PoRtCuLLiS

Hi! Unfortunately the Anti-aliasing on my main camera is already turned off.

Attached Files:

4. Filopuk

Filopuk

I see, then check out TMP material settings. There are a few properties, which control font's softness. This material is shared between all TMP objects by default, so if you change it in one, all the text in your game should be affected.

Attached Files:

5. PoRtCuLLiS

PoRtCuLLiS

Thanks, those settings were key! What seemed to make the biggest difference was changing the shader itself. I switched it over to "Distance Field SSD" and the text looks decent now. I don't know if this will have repercussions further down the line, hopefully not.

Filopuk likes this.