Search Unity

My Tenori-On Style Step Sequencer

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Quickfingers, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

If you don't know what a Tenori-On is, it's a musical instrument that has 16x16 buttons that you press and it makes music... If you still aren't sure, then follow the link and check it out, you don't need a musically minded brain at all to create something that sounds really cool. All samples and such are created by me.

You can now save and load your creations and share them with friends so get creating I want to hear some lovely melodies from you guys :)

http://www.quickfingers.net/step-seq

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. Bumbaz

Bumbaz

Very nice, as always. Now tell us how you did it :p

3. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Holy bageezus! This is awesome. I made a sweet beat that causes multiple ear orgasms! ^_^

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  4. RobbieDingo

RobbieDingo

Very, very cool, I particularly like the lighting effect.

Would be great if you could allow modulation in key (perhaps via buttons along the top?), wouldn't need all variations, but Tonic, Dominant Subdominant would be cool - and you probably have most of the required samples to do this in the package already....

Thanks for sharing that, I like.

PS. you're in London right - where the bloody sun gone?

5. PolyMad

PolyMad

Coooooooooooolll!!!

6. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Love it! Could spend hours playing with this. :)

7. coin-god

coin-god

I love it aswell, very fun. And good results.

8. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

The notes don't spin back precisely in place so after a while they end up rotating, which looks odd.
    $NoteSPin.jpg
    Also try this sequence ;)

I'm keeping a screenshot as a crude means of export, but it requires rebuilding the sequence each time.

9. softwizz

softwizz

I must admit that is rather impressive, if you could export your loop then it would elevate it to the level of awesome.

10. SkyYurt

SkyYurt

nice! it's like, what ever you do, you get a good beat

very nice!

- Muhsin Kaymak

11. Thomas GD

Thomas GD

This is so nice :D
    I really like the way you're thinking about combining your hobby and passion. +1

12. tODDk

tODDk

Amazing work quickfingers, keep it up!

13. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

Super-cool, I remember when I first saw that in Flash with the ToneMatrix phenomenon. This is a really cool project.

A few requests- stuff that ToneMatrix either had or didn't:

1. Allow selection of different instruments / percussion, by color, including maybe allowing up to 4 voices per note.
    2. Like ToneMatrix, allow us to export the state values, so people can post their "songs". I think they used a simple hash.
    3. Allow changes to reverb and bounce, preferably per block.
    4. Allow for much bigger beat tracks XY, and insertion of a state value grid at a location offset. Potentially, you could write entire songs out this way.
    5. Allow for different speeds.
    6. Allow for sustain blocks, for long notes.
    7. For final coolness, allow it to write the final sequence out to WAV / OGG.

This is super-awesome, I could really see a market for something like this if it had a broad capability, simply because of the idiot-proof nature. For example, an iPad product that would let kids make music and share it with one another, a game where the structure of the tenori was edited algorithmically on the fly allowing for dynamic music, etc.

[EDIT]Last idea: let it make recordings of the session state as it changes over time. I.E., if we change XY at Z second, then let it play back. That would be awesome, because you could do DJ-style stuff straight to a recording.[/EDIT]

14. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Thanks for the great comments guys... and now for the good news. I've updated it! Aaaand LOAD/SAVE function is now available! I tried to do something a little more sophisticated than the basic text field with a massive load of numbers in it, so check it out :) I also added multiple page songs and an auto play feature so you can just hit that and it'll cycle through all the pages 1 after the next. Fixed a couple of bugs aswell and gave it a name. It's now called Step Seq.
    I'll update the first post with the new info but here's a URL in case you are down here and didn't realise

http://www.quickfingers.net/step-seq

go create! enjoy! (and finally) share!

15. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

Wow. Man, I knew that giving it a longer cycle would be cool, but man, that's like a whole new toybox there. This is really fricking neat (see 103).

Couple of minor points:

1. Loading saved songs via the URL doesn't seem to work yet. Loading by ID does.
    2. It doesn't go to auto-play when loading up people's songs. It probably should.
    3. If a page is blank, auto-play should skip it.

Ooh, free idea- add a light color for each page. So you can do colored themes as the song plays- maybe green, orange, yellow, blue, and "disco" which is random within a bright range. You know people would totally dig that.

Another intstrument, preferably an octive down, so that we could do proper base lines would make it really killer. Moog mixed with a saw or something of that sort- a little noisy, but not too much.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  16. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

Okay, you've got to tell me how you did it.

I haven't spent a lot of time with the sound in Unity, but it seems really rudimentary. I mean, great for the games people are making, but I couldn't see myself making Fruityloops or a tracker in it (OctaMed, being one of my favs... my music background goes back to hand-typing in SidEditor, BTW).

I actually had a great idea for a game, but it needs a pretty robust music system. I was hoping to utilize trackers, but NO ONE could give me any answers about using them w/Unity (probably because nobody does anything other than fire off sound FX).

Anyway, any help / insight greatly appreciated.

17. koen.pis

koen.pis

I love it, it's a pretty nice demo on what unity sound can do, not mention your skills ofc.
    (saving and loading is a bit broken, the link still points to the old location)

18. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

thanks for comments, I fixed the save/load bug so all is well again :)

19. tomnullpointer

tomnullpointer

20. Toad

Toad

I get a "Bad File Length" error when I try to use this...

21. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

Yay, songs load. Can't get the URL back, though, so IDK how to send the URL for my song when I Facebook this. And it really needs to auto-play, if the sections aren't blank.

Probably needs to not let people save completely blank compositions. I don't think there's any cheap way to check and see if people are spamming copies of the same composition over and over again, which is annoying.

Still think the colors would be a big improvement, in terms of getting people interested in the tool and reaching a wide audience. That, and instead of using pages, just one big stretch board- just listening to what other people have composed thus far, that looks like one of the things people are finding difficult.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  22. KnifeFightBob

KnifeFightBob

Wow, really frigging good. Please share how you got Unity to do something remotely time-based with audio because my, and seemingly lots of others, experiences are pretty negative in this regard. In ten seconds I created track 148 as a quick demo - really nice, once again. Grats on this.

23. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

24. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

25. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

hey tomnullpointer, I just read your solution and it is very similar! I use a metronome track but its for the whole sequence rather than just one beat and I just cache the sample count at each beat in an array by dividing the sample length by the number of beats. Then use a beat and bar counter to decide which element of the array I'm checking and trigger the samples with a delay as you do

26. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

27. Cnaff

Cnaff

AMAZING! I love music, and I love unity... this is the perfect combination :)! so awesome :)!

28. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

Hey, great, the URL works. If only it would auto-play :)

Been going through songs with my almost-8-year-old son, who thinks this is awesome, and we both really like this:

http://www.quickfingers.net/step-seq?songid=156 nice work, whoever you are :D

29. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

30. DonGato

DonGato

Wonderful!

I have an iphone app that does this same thing, and have thought for a long time that it would be excellent for making game music.

Now this idea could go really far, Add a lot of different instrument sets, the ability to create longer songs, the ability to overlay different instrument tracks on top of each other, and the ability to make sustaining notes...

Of course you could go even farther by adding the ability to fade tracks in and out ect...

31. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

I'm sure some good ideas could be gathered from http://www.aviary.com/ (their Music Creator browser app).

32. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

33. Metron

Metron

34. Tzan

Tzan

Hmm I saved one but it saved my previous attempt not what was currently on the screen.

This might be because I hit the save button with the old screen up and hit "cancel".
    Then with a new screen set up, I saved and got a code 180, but it was for the old screen.

I recreated it: 181 its just one page

I wanted to clear the screen, but I dont think its an option yet.
    I hit the Reload Current Page button and it crashed Firefox 3.5.6
    I tried twice and it crashed twice. Maybe that happens with all Unity web games, not sure.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  35. dadim83

dadim83

AWESOME application. This is the best app i have ever seen on the showcase forum. Fun, and very simple. You should really consider improving it and selling it, maybe for iPhone or iPad, allowing people to share their creations. Here is my little contribution:

http://www.quickfingers.net/step-seq?songid=191

36. cemC

cemC

i like it so much.