Search Unity

My story with unity, and ECS made my day.

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by woong712, Jan 23, 2019.

1. woong712

woong712

Kudos to devs, for the whole thing. My whole month was hyped.

Being student, this game "Stuck on moon" was my ultimate goal as sole game developer.

The project's history is so long.
    My first game design documentation, from 2013, was this game. Inspired by minecraft automation mods, It was about automation and surviving. Game was obviously too big for beginner like me and I almost forgot about it.

Again in late 2017, I was deep diving into playing Factorio(which is again game about automation).
    "Stuck On Moon" had frequent revisit and some updates. I bought all automation/factory simulation games for "research purpose". I loved "automation genre" in general and would love to develop one. Even designing my game was super fun.
    But the simulation was too big and complex . (I must use multi thread, there is no other way for performance, I guessed).

I was revisiting this plan recently with highly complex plans like "Triple Buffered Simulation Data"(for thread safe simulation/update). And my colleagues were like "hey check out this ECS thing. Maybe this would work for you". And they were right. I got on the hype train. The thing was just for complex simulations just like "Stuck On Moon".

It seems, Even without complex "triple buffering" map data, ECS seems to handle big simulation without any hassle. So, here I am wrapping head around data-oriented designs and ECS.
    I literally cannot wait for ECS on release/stable branch. I am loving this experience.

siggigg and starikcetin like this.