Search Unity

My silly little 2D Mining game experiment

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Nomad72, May 7, 2012.

1. Nomad72

Nomad72

Important note: I am a beginner game developer, and this represents my very first attempt at anything that is not based on a tutorial. Basically, I wanted to try and create something simple as a learning experience, and to see whether I could accomplish anything where I wasn't following somebody else's work.

Also, my artistic skills can be summed up by the word ZERO. My focus was/is on learning the programming side of things, so please forgive the rudimentary graphics.

I've had to talk myself into posting this - although I've learned an awful lot from this so far and have had to really struggle for 3 months or so to get to this point, I worry that more experienced people will just laugh at my "skills" :D However, I've realized that I could probably benefit from constructive criticism at this point.

Anyway, onto the "game". It's a pretty simple game: acquire wealth by finding and mining different gems. You start with very poor equipment, so earning enough money to upgrade things like your lantern, pick and "mineral holding bag" is your first priority. I won't say too much more here because there is a fairly detailed set of instructions which pops up near the beginning. I will say that things only really get going once you've managed to buy and place an elevator, so please try and play long enough for that at least :D

At the moment my little mining character is represented by a very detailed plain white square, and the mining store (where you can sell your mineral haul and buy or upgrade equipment) is represented by a stunning white circle. Please don't let this put you off, though... the game mechanics are there.

Oh, on most menus, moving the mouse cursor over an icon will provide some info on the item represented by the cursor.

Movement keys are standard WASD for movement, and SPACE for digging.

Other useful keys are P to show statistics/achievements, I to show your inventory, and ENTER to equip or deploy a piece of equipment (placing ladders/elevators etc)

I look forward to any comments and suggestions.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52090401/GemMiner/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

2. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

I suggest a web player demo :)

3. yavadoo

yavadoo

I expected something worse then what I saw after reading your post :)

Not sure if the medieval menu style fits to the environment,
    however I like it, its a very good start.

4. Nomad72

Nomad72

huh?

Not sure what you mean - the link at the bottom of my post takes you to a web player demo.

5. Willster

Willster

It seems like it has potential, but a couple of things just put me off. The first is the controls don't work very well. If you jump and press left/right you can't jump and if you jump then press left/right it stops your jump halfway through. This makes getting out of some of the holes that you have dug impossible, even though they are only two squares deep. Also, the rock crush detection seems to be too sensitive, so you can get crushed by a rock that doesn't fall on you (e.g. it's outside your very small pool of light when the lamp is low and you still die).

I wanted to like it a lot more, but the controls need some work. It also kind of feels a bit unresponsive, as there's a delay between pressing dig and anything happening. Perhaps a digging sound egffect would help there.

6. Nomad72

Nomad72

Thank you for the input. Yes, the movement controls do still need a bit of work - in my attempts to prevent jumping too high, I have broken the left/right movement while jumping. I will work on that, thanks!

There should be a delay with the digging, because the "dirt" gets harder to dig through as you go deeper. Dirt is considerably harder to dig through at, say 60 feet deep, than it is near the surface. Without this effect, there would be no real point to upgrading your digging equipment. There is a digging sound effect in place, not sure why you didn't hear it. Maybe I need to fiddle with sound volumes a bit. That impression of a "lack of responsiveness" while digging will also go away once I've got an animition for digging in place because you will be able to actually see the pick/drill in action.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  7. ncst

ncst

I would agree with some of the comments above: that it seems too easy to get crushed by a rock that falls next to you, the menus don't really match the style of the rest of the game. While the instructions were detailed, I thought there was too much text: I'm not likely to read several pages of text before trying out a game like this. And, I'd suggest making sure the player finds some minerals early on: start off with a few small rewards, so they can get some encouragement: I dug all around in the first few depth layers, and found one coal =(

Nice start, and keep up the good work!

8. xzile40

xzile40

I enjoy this game, especially the addition to the game where your character has a jet-pack (Trolololo)

Anyways, theres a bad bug with the character controls. With your attempts to prevent high jumps, you seem to have accidentally made it so that you can fly! simply hold down D (with plenty of space above your head) and walk to the right. then hold down W simultaneously. You'll notice that your character slows down a bit and gets a little rigid with movement. Simply remove your finger from the D key now, and keep your finger on W and fly away!

One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind! ;)

Seems interesting, good luck with developing this game further and fixing any bugs!

9. Nomad72

Nomad72

Thanks for all the input, very helpful and much appreciated! It's provided me with quite a few things to fix, improve and/or implement, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

In terms of the menu "style" clashing with the rest of the game: I agree completely! I've leaving all graphic type stuff until I've completed the programming side of things, and then I guess the art side is going to need a significant overhaul.

10. Meltdown

Meltdown

I like this.. it's a simple but effective concept which I think you've executed and designed pretty well.
    With some decent graphics and character sprites it could be a very interesting game to play.. especially when digging for those deep down treasures.

As others said the controls need work. But keep at it its great so far.

unityunity