Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

My second attempt to make a game

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by DanielDemidov, Jul 24, 2023.

1. DanielDemidov

DanielDemidov

Hello everyone!
    So, I'm back to Unity and trying to learn to use it and finally make a game several years after dropping this hobby. I decided to work on something similar to my previous prototype, which was a game where the player has to shoot asteroids via a turning rocket launcher on Earth. Now I have made this:

https://daniel1306.itch.io/observation-2-0-test

Ideally this should be a game about aliens learning more about Earth. The player controls the UFO and has to gain the necessary information while remaining unnoticed. Right now the player can move between the regions (by clicking on them) and gain 'noticeability' points when the observing lasers collide with the UFO.

I thought it would be nice to gain some feedback on the idea. What do you think of it? Does it sound like something fun enough to continue working on it? I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and ideas before moving forward with this project!

Thanks in advance!

2. tleylan

tleylan

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
    DanielDemidov likes this.
  3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

So it boils down to a timing game where you have constantly rotating lines and you just have to move between them at right time?

I wouldn't think that is enough to be worth pursuing if the game is meant to make money. Though you didn't state what your reason and goals for the project are.

if you add a bit of visual feedback for success and fail actions this demo would be a lot easier to learn and get into though, no matter what the goal is. Right now it only feels like a programmers proof to themselves that code works. I mean there is no feedback at all when you are hit by the radar line. Just a number goes up (which usually = good). Should at least add screenshake and red flash or something.

i think it will help more to think about game as a conversation with a stranger, more so than asking, "is it fun?" like that is a basic math problem to solve. Try to think what sort of things you can say with your game to persuade, influence, impress, trick, entice, etc.

4. DanielDemidov

DanielDemidov

Yeah, I was actually going to add some story and visuals to make it more than a core mechanic. But I wanted to make sure the core gameplay works well fist

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

This is a question that you need to ask yourself as you're the one doing the development. A game can very easily be enjoyable to players but boring to a developer, and if it's boring it's very easy to lose the motivation to finish it.

DanielDemidov and warthos3399 like this.
  6. warthos3399

warthos3399

"So, I'm back to Unity and trying to learn to use it and finally make a game several years after dropping this hobby". This speaks volumes. To be a game dev takes dedication (time , money, and knowledge). Not that what your doing is bad, but dues have to be paid, and im not talking monetarily.

What YOU think of your game matters, after all, its what drives you. But if this is a secondary type hobby, that your not serious about, thats what you will get out of it...

7. DanielDemidov

DanielDemidov

Well, I continued working on it.
    Added research points, victory/defeat conditions and some tutorial with a short story before the game starts. Here's the prototype: https://daniel1306.itch.io/observation-2-0-test

I'd be very glad to hear some feedback and criticism. Does this work at this stage of development? Is the current gameplay too repetitive/too slow? Is the game intuitively understandable and easy to play?

Thank you in advance!

8. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

@DanielDemidov

game makes a lot more sense to me now.

one issue that may be a bug or maybe part of the game mechanics I dont understand is that sometimes I cannot go to a clicked location. I dont see an obvious pattern as to why. Sometimes the icon which indicates target to go to can't be reached because of this.

Other than that i feel like it's actually a playable game now, and it is easy to imagine plenty of ways to build a full experience from this basic gameplay.Having more stations, variation in radar speed, bigger radars that encompass smaller ones, lots of little bonuses to collect... lots of ways could extend this to be complete experience that should be viable to implement. I think so long as it has decent art, good feedback, and nice progression that keeps player moving forwards with an occassional tough challenge, it could be a viable mobile game.

In the full game I think quite a few more easy tutorials would be needed. Like the first session should only have one slow moving radar and all you have to do is stay ahead of it. And make sure there is obvious red screen flash, cam shake, giant text "DETECTED" feedback when you get hit.

9. DanielDemidov

DanielDemidov

Thank you for your feedback!
    Probably because the ship lacks energy to go there. The energy is displayed at the top left corner of the screen. And the movement cost per each tile is shown on the tile itself

Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
  10. DanielDemidov

DanielDemidov

Wondering would it be better to shift from the whole Earth to individual countries?

11. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

ah I see, makes sense. Is that on a cooldown timer or something?

One thing I think most gamers expect (especially in mobile type games) is that the game will teach you everything to know about it one step at a time. Not saying you needed to do that for this prototype of course, just something to keep in mind later in development.

About going from country to country... I guess it just depends on how you see the entire game playing out. Like how much content, how long do you want it to last.

I guess off top of my head, seems like it would make sense to start with very small locations, that way you can always easily add more content later. Could be counties / states / regions within countries.

12. DanielDemidov

DanielDemidov

Alternative visual style screen_test_style.png

13. DanielDemidov

DanielDemidov

14. DanielDemidov

DanielDemidov

Thinking of shifting the genre towards something more strategic:
    - Limit the game to 10 minutes of gameplay
    - Add some plot
    - Add some control over human civilization (e.g. controlling nuclear forces or governments)

warthos3399 likes this.
  15. warthos3399

warthos3399

Glad to see you dev'ing, creating, and having fun. Just pace yourself, think out things, test, and you got this :)

16. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

i think the basic mechanic you have now has plenty of room to expand. Why not see how far you take it just by adding simple variations? See how much hours of fun you can squeeze from it. Once you've played the game to death like that it may be easier to figure out the best art style to put on it and how extra incentives might fit in (like additional game mechanics or story bits)

DanielDemidov and warthos3399 like this.
  17. DanielDemidov

DanielDemidov

Thank you!

warthos3399 likes this.
  18. DanielDemidov

DanielDemidov

Thank you! I got a feeling gameplay now is pretty one-dimensional. Will think on how to change it....
    Maybe gonna add variations - the regions will generate something else besides stars so that the player had to choose...

19. lindsaylowery1559952

lindsaylowery1559952

Interesting game, I think you can public your game.

20. alexm2913

alexm2913

I checked out your prototype for the alien UFO observation game and think you have a really cool concept in the works! Having an information gathering mechanic while trying to avoid detection carries a lot of inherent tension and gameplay possibilities.The global map allowing movement between regions is also a nice touch - adds a broader sense of "infiltrating" different locations and potential types of info to uncover in each.In terms of feedback and expansion ideas:
    Additional visibility/detection mechanics beyond just the laser collisions could up the challenge. Things like line of sight, terrain, camouflage etc.Some kind of resource management element could put more pressure on prioritizing different info targets. Is fuel limited? Do you need to upgrade sensors?Is there a way to use the gathered intel in some larger context? Special win conditions for certain data sets?Overall I printable calendar would say you definitely have a fun core concept that is already showing personality! I vote yes continue developing - so much room to keep sculpting the stealth observation mechanics. Nice work so far and look forward to seeing where you take it next!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024