Search Unity

Bug My Scene's Occlusion Culling is somehow effecting a Particle System

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by halfpasttense, Oct 1, 2020.

1. halfpasttense

halfpasttense

This is a VR game and I do have Occlusion Culling baked for this scene. The particle system in question has its Culling Mode set to Always Simulate. If I look in a very precise direction on some parts of my scene, the smoke grenade particle system will completely disappear from view. This only happens if I have Occlusion Culling turned on on my camera. If I turn it off this problem goes away. Why is Occlusion Culling having any effect on a Particle System which is most definitely not static? This is on Unity version 2019.4.10 using URP.

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

If you turn on the visualize bounds option are all the particles inside of the bounds?

3. halfpasttense

halfpasttense

I assume you mean the Occlusion Area View Volume? It does envelop the entire playable area of my scene, but ends at that wall I look at in the video. I tried both extending the view volume to be much bigger, and turning off the view volume completely, to make sure the smoke particles wouldn't go outside of it, but it makes no difference.

I did figure out the precise conditions under which the smoke disappears though. It's only if I'm within a few meters of one of the big giant walls you see in the video. Those walls bound the entire playable area from all sides, as well as having one down the middle of it separating two areas. If I look directly at any of those walls while standing a few meters from the wall I'm looking at, the smoke disappears. This includes the internal walls, which are nowhere near the occlusion area view volume bounds.

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Could you file a bug report? We would need to take a look at the project to better understand whats going on.