Search Unity

My run cycle keeps snapping back... root motion? Help!

Discussion in 'Animation' started by jermerqua03, Mar 16, 2018.

1. jermerqua03

jermerqua03

I download a run cycle from Mixamo. I don't select "in place" when I download the run cycle from Mixamo because I thought that I could apply "root motion" and that the animation would control the forward position. In many tutorials this is the case. However my run cycle moves forward then snaps back to original starting position. It's on a crazy loop. Can someone provide an answer or a tutorial that actually explains this better then the ones I have dug up. I have watched a few tutorials where the answer is not presenting itself clearly. Note: fairly new to animator and animations. Also i have a jumping animation which is useless because as soon as I blend into it the character jumps forward then snaps back as well. Ugh!

See video of issue here

2. jermerqua03

jermerqua03

Ok... I figured it out. I rewatched the tutorials and I obviously skipped over or missed a part. Here's my solve...

On you T-Pose FBX click on "rig" tab
    animation type = humanoid
    avatar definition = create from this model

All other subsequent FBX animations
    animation type = humanoid
    avatar definition = copy from other > apply t-pose avatar

seems to work now. Certainly learned a lot about "root motion" over the last 24 hours and still feel as though I am scratching the surface. Cheers to being a noob.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. Juldnarr

Juldnarr

Did you end up further developing with root motion?