Search Unity

Question My robot arm falls apart and gets stuck while training in ml-agents/

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by SkeVinci, Jun 9, 2022.

1. SkeVinci

SkeVinci

Hi all,

I'm training my robot arm these days. After I press the play button, the arm itself can move fluently and it seems that there isn't any question. stable.png

However, when I use my .yaml to train it and then press the play button when the terminal calls me to do it, my robot immediately falls apart and doesn't move. fall_apart.png

I wonder why it doesn't move properly while training but falls apart. Is there a problem with my arm or the wrong .yaml file will cause this thing to happen?

2. spakment

spakment

How is the arm setup - if its an articulation body then check all your drive limits and increase your solver frequency.
    How is your agent driving the arm? If its randomly choosing a drive limit to apply then you could look into driving the arm incrementally (more like ROS does)

SkeVinci likes this.
  3. WaxyMcRivers

WaxyMcRivers

Make sure that you can drive each individual joint through the heuristic function; you want to emulate the same types of inputs that the NN model is sending to the OnActionRecieved -> your arm. For things like this you can create a function that simply oscillates between -1 and 1 and use that value in the heuristic function to drive joints, then control it from the editor using a Boolean.

If the arm works through heuristic mode, but not in training (through the yaml config), then something else is going on.

SkeVinci likes this.
  4. SkeVinci

SkeVinci

Yeah, thanks for both of you quite a lot!!

I previously use the configurable joint and don't apply parent child relationship to the robot arm, which seems to be very unstable. And now I apply parent child relationship and articulation body instead, which becomes stable!

Although at first when I still used configurable joint, the robot arm may start moving properly at first after starting training and falling apart after a few seconds, which really confused me.

Again, thanks for help!

5. MonicaZ

MonicaZ

Does it need extra scripts along with articulation body?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024